The Magnolia (used to be The Magdala)

I've been pretty positive on the new Mag so far, I reckon it's fair I follow-up with something of gripe about the food. Or the food pricing, to be more specific.

In short: it costs too much.

It's not that the food wasn't good (it was). It's just that the price didn't quite seem right. Instead of coming away saying "that was nice, let's go back" we came away saying "that was nice but it cost a bit too much - maybe we won't".

Trivial though it seems, a couple of quid less and we thought would never have crossed our mind, but it did - so here it is.

I think if you were to make a regular thing of dining at the Mag then yes pricey pricey pricey but as a one off?

It's not THAT over priced and besides you can't pay for the wonderful entertainment that can be had with the various characters hanging around in the joint (from cheeky toddlers to strange oldish dudes who don't quite understand the powers of lemonade - apologies if I just described you!). :)-D

KalamityKel Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I think if you were to make a regular thing of

> dining at the Mag then yes..

I think you have fingered the very nub of my gripe, Kel.

The point it - yes, I do want to make a regular thing of it - and I expect they want me to make a regular thing of it too. The food is unpretentious and well-cooked.. but it's not a 'treat'. It's a good example of what decent (modern) pub food ought to be, but if you have to spend getting-on for ?15 each to (nearly) sate your appetite (main and a side - the portions are decidedly small) then the price doesn't quite match-up to what's on the plate.

You can get something pretty special for ?15 these days. You can get something amazing for ?30. You can get something unpretentious and well-cooked for around ?8, and a healthy portion of it too.

Based on what we saw, the food on offer falls between two stools, being neither a restaurant you can't wait to go back to nor a good place to drop-in for a no-fuss tasty bite to eat.

Anyway - early days. If it's jam-packed with diners on a nightly basis then they've got it right - and I'm talking out of my ring.

I ate there last night and the portions were huge and I couldn't finish mine and I do like my food - applies to both mains and puds - and it was gorgeous. I don't think it's expensive considering what other bars are charging on Lordship Lane for smaller portions. Mains are roughly ?9-11

I hope others agree with you, Lizzie, because I do want the place to do well.

For my part, I can only concur with a previous poster, in that a tenner for some couscous, 4 chipolatas and some leaves does not represent value for money.

I like almost everything else about the place though.

Sadly I didn't have a good experience on Friday night. With Friends, and ordered 3 Pints Of Doom Bar. As we were chatting didn't taste it until the 3 were poured. It was off, tasted of pure vinegar. So, girl very willingly swapped it for Spitfire. I tasted the first pint. That was off too! We opted for "Safe" drinks, stayed for one and left. VERY Disapointed to see that the labels for these beers hadn't been turned around, and it was still on sale.

Can't say I'm in a hurry to go back.

• 4 weeks later...

My first visit to the Mag. This week. And on a Monday night too. Mondays always quiet down the lane but the Mag had 5 odd tables eating. Really liked the airy friendly feel of the place and the unpretentious but tasty food was great.

?9.99 for a HUGE sirloin with pany fried spuds and cabbage. Not a Franklins steak mind. But a f****ing good ten quid steak. A delicious smoked fish pate on toast to start. A good pint. And very friendly service from a lovely lady called Rose. This place deserves to be successful.

I wish it was more successful, it deserves to be, but I think the light airy feeling comes from it being largely empty. The food is delicious and they pull a decent pint of Guinness but the Mag lacks soul. Ended up finishing my evening at the Plough because I like a bit of atmosphere with my pint.

I like the Plough too - and its busy most sundays these days but peronally I find it's choice of pints, identikit chain menu and bar staff a bit souless...despite the sofa's

But ED is big and busy enough now to have a place that's calmer but does great food, friendly service and good ales. And Wifi. And kid friendly. I went back again today for lunch. And it was ace.

Just a quick post to recommend the Magnolia. We went there for Sunday lunch and it was superb. Excellent roasts, loads of nice veg and good starters. Service is very friendly - one waiter even brought us toys for our baby daughter. Thought the atmosphere was good in there, not overrun with kids but certainly child friendly. A lovely place to spend a wet and cold Sunday. We will certainly be back.

MrBen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I like the Plough too - and its busy most sundays

> these days but peronally I find it's choice of

> pints, identikit chain menu and bar staff a bit

> souless...despite the sofa's

I was in the Plough on Friday, had a very yummy spinach and lentil burger, but found the bar stuff not very attentive and the bar pretty soul-less & don't think I'll be returning in a hurry! :-S

I've always been a fan of the Rye Hotel, both for it's food and atmosphere & have been meaning to try the Mag for a while. How does it compare to the Rye Hotel?