The Magnolia (used to be The Magdala)

oblivion Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Look closer, Scruffy's have an

> awful lot more going on inside their heads than

> 'Smarties'.

What a strange thing to say.

Do they serve food during the week (and what kind)?

Finally made it to Magnolia last night and I was pleasantly surprised. Yes, it's canteen like and girly and flowery but it had a good vibe and the menu looked good. It was reasonably busy for a Tuesday especially as the champions league was competing. They didn't have a wine list which I thought was a bit odd considering they'd been open for over 2 weeks

I went in and was quite frankly disgusted. Shit food, shit beer and the bar staff seemed snobby in my opinion. But oh well, I guess I shall have to pop back one time when i'm feeling more desperate for a drink and in a more discerning frame of mind.

Louisa.

oi oblivion... my definition of scruffy really IS scruffy - the silly "student" look wiv messy hair too. AND if you wanna question my judgement further then perhaps the bar staff should have asked these young chaps for some ID... the school summer hols were obviously a transitional time for some.

Besides, EVERYONE knows only smarties have the answer ;)

To get back on track... whats the food like? (other that nice and yummy, or "shit")

Oh come of it tilster there is no need to come out with such rubbish. If you cared at all to follow some of the other users on with you would appreciate "wiv" is no more that "txt spk" on here. Your attitude suggests a very narrow minded view to life if you think it appropriate to attack someone for expressing an observation and opinion which everyone is entitled to do.

As for KKs comments about the "scruffy student look" it is quite an accurate observation where comparing other drinking establishments along "the lane"

We went for a drink there this weekend and quite liked it. The d?cor, while in the general style that is current for public houses, leans strongly towards the girly side of things. Which is fair enough as my wife quite rightly pointed out, girls like to eat and drink too.

The food looked and smelled good and is obviously freshly prepared by a chef that does the menu on a daily basis. It is in what I believe is called something along the lines of, contemporary British gastro pubbyish.

We didn?t stay for food though but that?s because we?re a couple of uncultured philistines.

We went to Magnolia on Friday evening for drinks and food and were impressed.

There's a good selection of drinks and the food was really good quality at reasonable prices. They'd had a really busy evening as it was their first full service but they seemed to be managing just fine. We had 2 beers, a nice bottle of Rioja, a starter to share, 2 mains and a huge banoffee pie to share for dessert and it all came to less than ?50 including the tip.

The only downside (and this is being really picky!) was that it was a bit cold in there on Friday night so I imagine if it wasn't as full I'd have to keep my coat on!

I'll definitely be going there again....

James, how you interpret Gay is your prerogative. Here's the dictionary definition:

1. having or showing a merry, lively mood: gay spirits; gay music.

2. bright or showy: gay colors; gay ornaments.

3. given to or abounding in social or other pleasures: a gay social season.

4. licentious; dissipated; wanton: The baron is a gay old rogue with an eye for the ladies.

6. of, indicating, or supporting homosexual interests or issues: a gay organization.

7. a homosexual person, esp. a male.

8. in a gay manner.

Is the Magnolia decor 1, 2 or 8 as opposed to being only suitable for lower class, uneducated ignorant people?

Went in on Saturday night and really liked it (we'd earlier tried the Adventure Bar which wasn't our thing at all - goes to show, different strokes for different folks...). Thought the decor was very attractive and the staff friendly. Menu looked good though we didn't eat. My only criticism was the room felt a bit echoey/cold (in feel, not temperature) as it's got all those big windows and high ceilings - probably lovely in the summer but not exactly cosy on an autumn evening. Perhaps could do with some ambient music to help it feel more buzzy? Anyway, we'll definitely be going back - both agreed it's one of our new fave venues in ED. I imagine it's the worst time ever to open a new business, especially when it's slightly off the main drag, so hope it survives!

Full marks, Lozzyloz, for the use of cutting and pasting of a dictionary definition to try to persuade us you had a rather more high falutin meaning in mind rather than the pedestrian use of the word 'gay'. You are no Dr Johnson so please don't pretend you meant anything other than 'camply naff/naffly camp' in your description.

As for the place itself, I've not been in, but it looks inviting when I go past it on the 176 to a night shift.

Dunno about chav. It's so overused that it'll be eclipsed by something new soon. I don't think the interior, from what I've seen, is particularly gay. I'd say it is sub boutique hotel (another phrase that's had its day) in that it seems rather generic and lower-to-mid-end interior design magazine in style.