The Magnolia (used to be The Magdala)

By happy coincidence, we went there last night to check it out.

I never went to the old Magdala and so only have Mrs *Bob*s description to go on: "dated, in a bad way" as opposed to being "old fashioned/traditional in a good way".

As for the new Magnolia, we both liked it, maybe a lot more than we thought we would.

Putting aside the "not those again" lightshades over the bar and run of wallpaper around the bar, we actually thought it was firmly out of Bishop territory and all the better for it. It feels modern without being wanky and plain without being boring.

There's an obvious leaning towards eating, but that 'side' of the place is the best bit. Really liked the canteeny look and feel of it, and it's great to have somewhere where there are actually tables which can sit larger groups to eat comfortably - and boasts plenty of space between the tables too, which is a real luxury.

The 'bar' side suffers somewhat from this bias, feeling more like a waiting area to get into the canteen part, but then I suppose that's kind-of what it is.

Will it 'work' being slightly off the beaten track?

If the food's good enough (we didn't eat) then I think it deserves to. Hope so anyway.

Louisa Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I went in and was quite frankly disgusted. Shit

> food, shit beer and the bar staff seemed snobby in

> my opinion. But oh well, I guess I shall have to

> pop back one time when i'm feeling more desperate

> for a drink and in a more discerning frame of

> mind.

>

> Louisa.

Can you expand on this Louisa? What did you eat and why was it shit and have you got suggestions on how it can be improved? What did you drink and why was it shit, what would you have rather drunk instead? In what way were the staff snobby? Were they actually rude to you? or is it just that it is not the sort of place that you like and therefore you feel that you can just be rude and insulting about it? What about some positive criticism instead of just pure vitriol?

I think what Louisa means was:

The carpet wasn't sticky and didn't smell of beer and stale cigarettes.

They weren't carrying enough of London's laughable local brews (the ones served with the frothy washing-up liquid on top)

The food wasn't served in a basket.

Can you expand on this Louisa? What did you eat and why was it shit and have you got suggestions on how it can be improved? What did you drink and why was it shit, what would you have rather drunk instead? In what way were the staff snobby? Were they actually rude to you? or is it just that it is not the sort of place that you like and therefore you feel that you can just be rude and insulting about it? What about some positive criticism instead of just pure vitriol?

You actually believe that she's been in there?

Went there for the first time since the refit on Sunday afternoon, me and the GF thought we'd try it out.

Like the look of the place with the funky wallpaper school chairs.

We ordered a roast lamb and roast beef dinner, service was speedy and the staff were very friendly..

The lamb was excellently cooked and really tasty, the beef was dry and a wee bit overcooked. The veggies were OK but the biggest shame, were the portions were sop small and I left feeling slightly hungry.

At ?33 for two roasts and a couple of ciders, it wasn't good value. There are better places to eat for less money.

Dulwich_ Park_ Fairy Wrote:

> Can you expand on this Louisa? What did you eat

> and why was it shit and have you got suggestions

> on how it can be improved? What did you drink and

> why was it shit, what would you have rather drunk

> instead? In what way were the staff snobby? Were

> they actually rude to you? or is it just that it

> is not the sort of place that you like and

> therefore you feel that you can just be rude and

> insulting about it? What about some positive

> criticism instead of just pure vitriol?

>

> You actually believe that she's been in there?

I don't know or care if she's been there - however I do know (and care) that her post has deeply hurt the owner of the Magnolia because that kind of comment cannot be answered and such criticism cannot be taken on board.

-=Mike=- had a criticism to make - that he didn't think the food was good value - at least that kind of criticism can be taken on board.

I suppose I just don't understand such a negative mentality.

Can I just say that the owner really shouldn?t take to heart what people say on this or any other forum. The thing with public internet forums is that any bugger with a stupid opinion or shite attitude gets to air it. It isn?t like there is any editorial control. So just brush the chaff aside and try to filter out that which is useful.

Dulwich_ Park_ Fairy Wrote:

> I suppose I just don't understand such a negative

> mentality.

>

> Well thats Louisa, the only things she has ever

> spoken positively about on this board are a

> paedophile and a dangerous dog.

I think she's also spoken in praise of an Ann Summers shop opening in the area...................

Agree strongly with Brendan. The Mag isn't going to please everyone, but don't worry aboput negative stuff, especially when someone has just blatantly had a go for a rise.

Mike made what I consider to be a positive critisism, which I think is useful. There have also been plenty of positive comments about the place.

I am yet to try it, as it was closed when I pushed the door. I will however ne popping in, and look forward to it.

I walked past this establishment the other day. Was going to go in but didn't, as it looked shite through the windows. Apologies to the owners of this bar, but you're going to have to do a bit of work on your interior design and atmosphere if you want to attract customers.

I can't actually categorically say that this "bar" is shite as I never actually went in there, it just looks dreadful from the outside.

Went last night for the first time.

Putting aside the "not those again" lightshades over the bar and run of wallpaper around the bar, we actually thought it was firmly out of Bishop territory and all the better for it. It feels modern without being wanky and plain without being boring.

I'd basically go along with this. It's kept the good bits of the old mag, and basically tidied up the bad bits. I did rather like the old booths, and was slightly sorry to see they'd gone, but liked the general layout.

Have to say I'm not keen on the flowery frontage to the actual bar, but different folks and all that, plus it's only really my knees that have to look at it, so no biggy.

All in all I liked it, and will be back. Nice to see Rueben, formerly of The Plough, behind the bar too, think he'll be a really good addition to the place because he has ideas and tries new things.

Met Jah Lush and his lovely sister in the Mag 2day had a very nice drinky and retired to the first floor of the EDT. Which is terribly posh and is going to be a private members club, but dear friends, is it all a question of life, Jim, but not as we know it? (Incidentally I think I might of had one too many.)