The Magnolia (used to be The Magdala)

Interesting point Woody, but do we know that it was always called the Magdela. I seem to remember listening to a Robert Elms chat show on Radio London (the late, much lamented GLR) and he did a thing on Pub Names and I'm sure he did something about the Magdela and where the name came from. I found this on Wiki, so God only knows how accurate it is.

The Battle of Magdala was fought in April of 1868 between British and Abyssinian forces at Magdala, 390 miles from the Red Sea coast, which at that time was the Capital city of Abyssinia (now known as Ethiopia). The British were led by Robert Napier, while the Abyssinians were led by Emperor Tewodros II.

The sharper eyed amongst you will notice the difference in spelling, but Lord Robert of Elms put this down to a corruption of the name at the time. But my question is does anyone know if it was always called The Magdela or if it was renamed after another great Victorian victory. Perhaps the new owners have found the original name and are going to call it that.

They'll have to paint out the old sign you can still see the name.

Good point EDOldie. In this old picture you'll see that it was Walter W. Collison (who also owned the The Cherry Tree now the Vale at the same time) in bold around the pub but much small on the pub sign was The Magdala. I think it has always gone by that name but no doubt you'll correct me if I'm wrong.

No I don't think you're wrong at all. It may well have always been called the Magdala but that would date it at after 1868 and as far as I can see the building was built after 1868. The point being that many pubs changed their names after great victories. The Magdala was one such name as was the Trafalgar and the anti-Galician I think. If it was renamed it would interesting to know what the original name is and if the new owners are going to use that. The Palmeston was originally the Lord Palmeston and seems to have been built after he died. Personally, if it is the original name, I think it'd be sad to change it. You mentioned, in another post, that Collison was the grandad of a friend of yours. Mutual friend?

• 4 weeks later...
No I think it's a pub, there are beer pumps etc, it just looks a bit, well, um, 1980's? sort of interior design, er seaside cottage, cornflake family, er that type of thingy. I can't imagine any 'horny handed sons of toil' such as myself, popping in for a pint of lager 'n' lime after work and standing outside smoking a fag (can you still say that or has it changed?). The point I'm making is, it looks a bit too nice to be a pub but clearly is. Anyway I'm going to see if it's open at lunchtime and have a pint. Probably in about an hour if anyone wants to join me.

Don't think there'll be any more footy there,

They've still got the big screen up, when I walked past last night it was showing re-runs of Changing Rooms. There seemed to be quite a rowdy crowd watching and the air was blue with heckles such as, " Llewelyn Bowen you fackin muppet, a hundred thaasand paand a year for that rubbish, you're 'avin a turkish son" and chants about how, "Anna Ryder Richardson takes it up the arse".. It wasn't pleasant and I quickly sheperded my children away from the window.

Wasn't open, but they have put the opening times on the window. Now, have I got it wrong? It says Sunday 12pm -12 am shouldn't it say 12am - 12pm better still would be 12 noon - 12 midnight, assuming that they won't be open during the wee small hours. Or doesn't it matter?