The Magnolia (used to be The Magdala)

Sorry, my fault for the deviation from original topic. I'll be giving the new Magnolia bar a try, I enjoyed the quizzes at the Magdala and liked the shape of the place.

I guess it can still be called "the Mag", however its new identity doesn't sound like it would like that sort of vulgar abbreviation.

: P

P.S. meridiem is Latin for middle of day, meridian is a physical dividing line between two areas.

I am eating my words although not their food until next week. I went there yesterday and was very pleasantly suprised. I thought Rose was doing a sterling job, she is obviously very keen that the place will be a success. I thought it had a continental feel to it.

I personally far prefered it to the Adventure Bar (shows my age I guess) and look forward to going back.

Interesting how expectations were low for Adventure bar and (at least as far as people posting on here goes) those expectations were proved correct but some similarly low expectations for the Mag has resulted in several people revising their opinion once visited

So - the Mag for the forum drinks after this week's bash at the Duke?

That might be because the Mag(nolia) seems to be an attempt to be something different and a reflection of the owner. I am not 100% sure what exactly Rose is aiming for though! Whilst the Adventure bar seems to be rehashing a formula which has worked well before.

Popped in for a pint after a happy hour special at Adventure on Friday and thought it was cr*p to be honest. Feels like a dull, soul-less, school dining hall.

Chuck in some beaten up, comfy old leather couches and get rid of the school tables and it would be much better IMO.

Why the need for three different types of hand soaps in the gents too??!!

I'm with Cassius on this one - because it isn't like anywhere else I'm quite enjoying it.

Of course, by itself, not-being-like-anywhere-else isn't enough - they could let nettles grow through the floor "just to be different" but I doubt it would endear the place to me.

I'm not dismissing SCSB79's view either. I had a great time last Wednesday but by the time I was leaving, the place was emptying and it did look a little gloomy and forlorn which might put off passing trade. I like it but can understand if not everyone does.

Cassius Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Beaten up, comfy old leather couches - mmmm that

> sounds really original!!! I think I like the

> Magnolia because it isn't trying to be the same as

> everywhere else.

I don't care for originality. I want to go somewhere that I feel comfortable and relaxed in. Not sitting at what could have been my Year 9 Geography table.

What does it offer that makes it better than anywhere else in your opinion?

I certainly won't be rushing back there for a drink, unless I am skint, as the prices seemed pretty fair.

I went last night for the first time and found it a really relaxing and welcoming space.

I thought it was original and actually quite hard to define, which I think is one of the things I liked about it.

The only thing I wasn't sure about was the scent from the candles (Lilly of the Valley I think) which was quite strong at first and a bit odd, but I got used to it.

Company was ok too...

SCSB79 Wrote:

:

>

> I don't care for originality. I want to go

> somewhere that I feel comfortable and relaxed in.

> Not sitting at what could have been my Year 9

> Geography table.

> What does it offer that makes it better than

> anywhere else in your opinion?

> I certainly won't be rushing back there for a

> drink, unless I am skint, as the prices seemed

> pretty fair.

Well there are loads of places that you will be happy in around here - and actually some of us DO want originality or at least something that isn't an idenkit bar. I don't think it is better than everywhere else, however I like the freshness and the lightness of it, I like the flowers on the table, and like the charming service, and reading through the recent posts on this thread there are several other people who like it for the same reasons. Why does it have to be a competitition? I like it so I will go there, you don't so you won't.

I went last night too, and thought it was a pleasant enough place. I'm sure if their plan to offer hearty grub at reasonable prices goes ahead, they'll do well. Probably lacked a bit of atmosphere as there were only a couple of people in there, but hey it?s early days, good luck to them.

> The only thing I wasn't sure about was the scent

> from the candles (Lilly of the Valley I think)

> which was quite strong at first and a bit odd, but

> I got used to it.

Boozers are changing - especially since the smoking ban. No longer do they smell of 100 rotten ashtrays. They say that the smell of fags masked other odours - now many pubs smell of piss. I haven't been into the new Mag just read the posts on this forum. It's a brave thing to open any business in this financial climate, ED has something for everyone and by the sound of it this adds another niche. Only time will tell if it will work, I look forward to my first visit....