Is it Me? or is East Dulwich boring now?

By Ben Clover 7/8/08

WITNESSES have described the last minutes of a man stabbed to death yards from his front door.

Andrew Pratt, 43, was seen staggering along Northlands Street, Camberwell, leaving a trail of blood after being attacked on Saturday at around 10.45pm.

Mr Pratt, of Southwell Road, was a manager at fashion store Emilio Pucci in Sloane Street, central London.

Investigators believe the murder was the result of a robbery gone wrong as he made his way home from work.

Mr Pratt?s family, from Norfolk, are said to be ?devastated? at his death.

Paramedics took him to King?s College Hospital in Denmark Hill, where he died an hour later.

....This kind of "Edgy" we can all deal without.

Extraordinarily as I returned to my beloved Walworth yesterday for the second time recently since I "emigrated" to The Suburbs, a Guy was murdered.I left The Walworth Road at 8.00PM last night.The Guy was innocently murdered in a cross-fire between 2 Gangs up the road from where I was less than 2 Hours later.Amazingly thats EXACTLY what happened the other Month in the evening when I visited then,as well...Two visits,each time a death in my (former) High Street the very evening as I was leaving!

I believe that suburban types lead a far more exciting life than me. How I wish I had time to wash my 4x4 on a Sunday outside my semi-detached mock Tudor or Barrett home, and then spend the afternoon twitching my net curtains so I can see what John and Sheila are up to next door.

Rumour has it that some suburbanites often indulge in such deviant activities as swinging, god forbid,

Sidcup or East Dulwich? Hm.

Much as I moan about ED, the mix, choice and variety of inner London is unsurpassed as are its very high quality green open spaces. I respect anyone who can handle living in the quiet desperation of the suburbs but they scare the life out of me! Give me a few yellow police boards to the hum drum nature of Sidcup or Surbiton any day.

NatashaD Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It must be very exciting living in suburbia,> Tony.>

> (Natasha stifles a yawn).

.....Leave It Out TashB)...Of course I miss the hustle and bustle(after 28 years) of Inner London but it seems that you can't have everything.I like the "comparitive" safety where I live.Been very few "incidents" since I emigrated here 25 short years ago.I like the fact that 1 hour ago I can park right o/s the Avery Hill Park Gatesand generally not worry about Wardens/Road congestion etc..even now most lights are out in my road but it IS safe(as much as can be-nowhere is 100%) What price that?(tu)

NatashaD Wrote:

Rumour has it that some suburbanites often indulge

> in such deviant activities as swinging, god

> forbid, >

> Sidcup or East Dulwich? Hm.

Difference is Tash that others like last nights murder tend NOT to get caught in the cross-fire:)

> Much as I moan about ED, the mix, choice and

> variety of inner London is unsurpassed as are its

> very high quality green open spaces.

Stated b4 on the edge of South London there are endless Woods/Meadows/Fields/Parks---not to many Pit-Bulls in them either for our pedigree pooches to worry aboutB)

Going against the grain here. But I think Matt has a point. Although the degree of change in past 18 months is pushing it!

But certain places that I loved for having "soul" have been replaced with "soulless". And, like the hippie dude I met on Haad Rin beach back in' 98 who complained it had got "too commerical man". It was always better back in 1985. When they had no roads. Or posh gap year kids. And Cholera. East Dulwich kind of the same. Kind of.

I hugely miss Inside 72 which was a one-of-a-kind a bar that showed independence and character - even if it was a squash. I'm suprised how much I miss it. It's replacement with a chain from Clapham/Balham represents a blandness that leaves me cold. Like the food I got at Kings when my appendix burst.

Not as socially diverse as it once was. And a lot less flaking paint.

RosieH Wrote:

> Tony, seriously mate, I'm calling the rozzers.

> You just "happened" to be there for both murders?

...LOL...Seems sooooo ironic...my "heart" is still back there.Once you've lived above East Street Market with the vibrant Walworth Road 50 yards away its hard to get that vibe out of your system,but about this time of night down the side streets its decidly "iffy"...

Amazingly on the afternoon of the first murder a couple were telling me they like working in Walworth but its unsafe at night,5 hours later came news of the 21-year-old chased by a 5-strong gang...and last night I was 100 yards away from the scene less than 2 hours b4 the murder(!)....I'm handing myself in as I write(after I get some Fish and Chips from our "late night" shop that closes b4 10.00pmB)

> Is coming on here telling us about it actually

> part of some weird middle class gang initiation..?

..."Middle Class"...??..Me?..You are 'aving a Giraffe Darling:))...Born 'n bred at The Elephant and Castle,lived on The largest Housing Estate in Europe at the time,no car..Dad's final 1970's wage=?20 per week!!...BEHAVE!!:))

VeryBerryCherry Wrote:

> How adventurous can a chain bar get?

>

>

> That's like asking for "2 extra shots in a light

> coffee Frappucino" in Starbucks...

>

> Have you ever seen one of the assistance faces

> when you do that?

If they need help to smile VBC then it's perhaps wrong on your part to mock them.

Facial paralysis is no laughing matter. Though Stephen Hawking has a few crackers on the subject.

Apparently.

Brendan Wrote:

(edit)

> On the plus side

>

> The Plough is now actually a very nice pub.

>

> We now have a record shop

>

> The Plough has become a venue for live music

>

> The Plough is a stones throw away from my house

>

> We have the most active and fun internet forum in

> South London

>

> Did I mention the Plough?

Went to the quiz night at the Plough yesterday for the first time which was pretty good, i think i'll be going back to that. However, the food is still diabolical at the pub, they've just not got that right since the new owners gave the place a laurence llewellyn-bowen-style makeover :( On the plus side, they did give a refund for our dodgy meal.

The food is definitely an Achilles Heel at the Plough - but I doubt there is much they can do about - central oders from M&B HQ.... but I'm not going to use that as a reason to restart my chain thing ;-)

As for Mr Ben - Inside 72 is the obvious casualty in the last 18 months and I still miss it like an old friend - but I doubt that has had a major impact on Matt's argument.

SeanyMac,

I am finding it more boring now too. Although I cant put my finger on it. The weekends used to be a bit more kicking on the strip. Matt's argument is simply around it being less "edgy and arty", both characteristics which evaporate with gentrification. Inside 72, whilst not Matts preferred drinking establishment (I'm guessing) was more "arty and edgy" than the Bishop will ever be. And I mention it's loss as a prime example of a new demographic.

I still love East Dulwich. But it is increasingly less diverse, commercially and demographically.

The loss of Inside 72 notwithsatnding, I don't see a reduction of artiness (though really, how arty is a bar with a half decent music policy), there's still plenty of artiness in and around the areal; Galleries, exhibitions the open house arts 'festival' etc.

Edginess. I've been here 8 years and though I've seen it get more polished, I can't say as it ever felt particularly edgy, it was just there were about 3 old school pubs.

I've seen a fair old bunch of the Forresters crowd in the Bishop, and lots of blow ins from Lewisham, and the late night back room crowd in Kebab and Wine are a very interesting bunch if that's what you're after.

My relationship with ED has changed in those 8 years. I'm no longer a mid *ahem* twenties singleton out on the pull, I'm a very soon to be married lad in his 30s out to enjoy drinks with friends (actually that's all I ever did, my pulling to going out ratio was very very poor).

Perhaps it's Matt who has moved on, I've seen very little change in ED over 18 moths. Now if we can just brick up foxtons again.....

Yup - from a live music perpective I have many more options than I did 5 years ago. I'm sure if you went 10 years further back people will say there was plenty of music around then.. but of the 7 years I've been here there seems to be more to do

And let's not forget the Dream Machine and the gig they put on last week. people are doing interesting things - are we doing enough to support them?

I'm not fond of the chain creepage (as discussed many times before - please not again) but I would say that the chains that have opened haven't really done too much to make it "more boring" - Walsh glazing might have been more real, but I don't think it added to the area's excitement quotia

The demographic has become a smidge more "favourite team = Man U/favourite food = Pizza Hut/ Favourite music = Simply Red"

But then I'm a snob

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

>

> The demographic has become a smidge more

> "favourite team = Man U/favourite food = Pizza

> Hut/ Favourite music = Simply Red"

>

> But then I'm a snob

Surely you mean Pizza Express..........

Pizza Express pizzas have some relationship with the Italian originals at least

I'm not averse to them by the way - just wouldn't go so far as to say "my favourite food"

I'm not sure where I originally read that description of blandalanda tastes :

""favourite team = Man U/favourite food = Pizza Hut/ Favourite music = Simply Red" "

but it has obviously stuck in my mind. There is nothing inherently wrong with any of them, but there is a homogenity (sp?) to the combination which does suggest an incurious mind, no?