Is it Me? or is East Dulwich boring now?

I lived in 'edgy' Camberwell for years and apart from: the three break-ins, one by the people we actually drinked with in the local pub; being asked to remain in my house with the curtains closed because a gunman was loose near the station arches; witnessing a man being beaten half to death in broad daylight by a gang armed with pickaxe handles; car vandalism and finding a man living in our shed, it was fine.

indiepanda Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> So what's actually changed about ED in the last 18

> months?

There are always new things coming and going and in another 18 months ED will be different again. Over the last 18 though.

On the negative side

Inside 72 (the dingy little rock bar) has closed down.

The strip between EDT and Bishop has become pretty leery and full of wankers on Friday nights.

The CPT don?t have Sky to show the cricket this summer but don?t worry they?re getting it back as soon as the fucking fuck soccer is back fucking on again. What the fuck is fucking up with that?!?!?! May as fucking well fucking stop teaching kids music at school and give them rocks to bash against their heads instead, it?s still rhythm isn?t it? No wonder you fucking people lost your fucking Empire. ?.

*grumbles*

On the plus side

The Plough is now actually a very nice pub.

We now have a record shop

The Plough has become a venue for live music

The Plough is a stones throw away from my house

We have the most active and fun internet forum in South London

Did I mention the Plough?

Plus...

there are these new fangled metal and rubber thingi-ma-jiggies, called buses ((sp?) i think, don't quote me), and they even work in the dark.

So you can travel to any of these "edgy" places you want.

Be careful not to fall off when you get there, it must be precarious. Do you have a good sense of balance?

Something else that has changed is that overnight last night a phone box has appeared by the Lloyds money machine across from the Plough.

I has only been there since last night and already it is all beat up, covered in graffiti and has an empty can of Scrumpy Jacks in it.

Now if that aint edgy.

What Brendan said, especially

The strip between EDT and Bishop has become pretty leery and full of wankers on Friday nights.

I think something about the area has changed quite recently. As I said earlier, last Friday we started at the CPT for a few before wandering down Lordship Lane. Now I have never been a big Bishop fan, but FFS, the crowd outside both there, and the cherry (which I am a fan of) was huge and frankly, chavy! The rest of the Lane just seemed really quiet and subdued.

Went in the EDT for one, but left due to massive volume of music, and not being able to take beer outside for a smoke.

Ended up joining the forum drinks at the Gowlett which was very pleasant, but to be honest, hadn't been out intention.

Maybe it was a one off, but if that was my one experience of Lordship Lane, I wouldn't go back, and I wouldn't recommend it.

Also agree with Brendan that the Plough is now one of the most appealling places in ED, and with the exception of the wallpaper, I still like the good old CPT :)-D

I still like the CPT too. I think I?m even warming to the wallpaper. I am just still in mourning over the loss of my favourite summertime cricket watching spot. It kinda makes me want to cry, like when an old and faithful dog dies or someone kicks you in the nuts.

I still love the Bishop... Best way to solve the chav problem is to outnumber them so that they don't want to hang out there, no?? i.e all us lovely 'normal' (whatever that is) forumites need to make sure we take every opportunity to booze round there (as well, of course, as the Plough which like Brendan is also a stone's throw from me so most convenient) and cast evil 'out of my pub you chav' death stares at said reprobates. Done.

think i might run for mayor (-ess)

I agree wholeheartedly with what Brendan and Keef have said but if you want to have an enjoyable night down the Strip just don't go down their on Friday and Saturday nights when all the blow-ins and wank stains turn up. Also, have to agree that the Plough is now a serious destination for a good night out and it's just down the road from me. Just don't tell the blow-ins and wank stains about it.. Keep schtum! OK.

mattindulwich18 Wrote:

> I have lived in East Dulwich/Peckham Rye borders

> now for over 18 months, I really liked Lordship

> Lane and East Dulwich for about a year but over

> the past six months its just become boring and

> bland. I just wanted to know if others have felt

> this, Camberwell seems to be more edgy and arty

> these days.

It's you

Ah, Mattindulwich18, don't you just have to love 'im. Poor boy don't understand that if he gets home by 8pm and has a hot cup of cocoa then he'll be just fine and dandy. Dulwich will be great again. Hasn't he twigged that staying in is the new going out. He can ponder whether that new lampshade really suits the wallpaper and then get down to the vital forum-like business of worrying if there should be two question marks in his original post.

mattindulwich18 Wrote:

> I have lived in East Dulwich/Peckham Rye borders

> now for over 18 months, I really liked Lordship

> Lane and East Dulwich for about a year but over

> the past six months its just become boring and

> bland. I just wanted to know if others have felt

> this, Camberwell seems to be more edgy and arty

> these days.

Wow, Mattindulwich, did you have a deathwish or what when you posted! lol!

I used to live in livelier parts of London, and they were fine. I loved living in Chelsea and Earls Court as they were vibrant and buzzing, with fab shops. The same cannot be said for Dulwich - in particular the 'village'. God, it is beyond boring there.

However, now I've got kids, and am pretty skint, I am OK with living in ED. Once they're off my hands I will downsize and move more centrally in London.

Anyway, Matt is entitled to his viewpoint without all you lot jumping down his throat.

I wonder if he will get banned for being so 'contraversial'?

Yes and no! It has definitely begun to attract more 'suburban' types from Kent/dull SE London towns. The sort of people who go out in Blackheath ("Blackeaf") at the weekend cos it is a bit classy innit?

But you still see some edgy characters about, possibly thanks to the proximity of Camberwell & Peckham with their art squats.