worst local road for cycling

edteacher

I reckon Lyndhurst Way. Never resurfaced properly, patched, cracked, pot-holed, speed humped all its length. Even the3 school marking paint is lumpy and bumpy and at least one tree low enough to catch your face. The crossing islands force bikes and motor vehicles together at frequent intervals. It seems unloved by the council yet it is an important thoroughfare for cyclists.

Seconded on Lyndhurst way, have to ride down it most days. Always have to check my bike lock is securely in the bracket otherwise has been known to shake itself out riding over all those bumps. It would make me so happy if they resurfaced it. There are stretches of Southampton Way that are pretty bad too, but nothing compared to Lyndhurst Way.

Agreed. Lyndhurst Way is bloody awful, particularly heading back from central London. The markings outside Peckham Academy are like a Land Rover testing track. Blackfriars Road heading home near Laughing Gravy is bad too. But Lyndhurst takes the prize. Some roads in Barnsbury are its equal. But south of the river, that is the freakin daddy of

Perineum leathering, ball crunching, filling shattering road surfaces.

Normally I'd agree with Lyndhurst. It's my usual commute and it's terrible. I tend to be returning to ED at around 3pm, when the dodgy road surface is enhanced by dozy, oblivious teenagers wandering (or sometime cycling) down the wrong side of the road because they're too cool to walk on the pavement. Grrr.

But this morning I decided to vary my route and went up the Walworth Road. Bloody hell, Mic88, you're not wrong! That stretch up past the end of Burgess Park is shocking!

Camberwell New Road is terrible, both because it's a death trap of cycle lanes bleeding into bus lanes and the sides of lorries; cars turning into cycle lanes; and perpetual pot holes and raised iron work which is often deep enough to throw you off your bike. The new cycle superhighway work doesn't seem be entirely addressing much of the above either.

Some of you may have already done so, but it is really worth reporting each and every fault - to protect yourselves and other road users. You can do it online here:https://reportit.tfl.gov.uk/pub/servlet/ep.blank?srvCode=ABOUTREPORTIT&st=TOUCH&title=About+report+it&csrftoken=eg03M56EqnTIM%2B1cD0uhiY%2FBFOEbw3GxtWLa4Cpg%2F4RX51ha707YSjcUoeMuekAVVnqLghpps4QNgwF%2FoHKh6S4aeutqxYHEf5GGOpTbbsZZXQ1v7MxmYA%3D%3D

Going into town you can now do College, Burbage then Milkwood Road to join up with the CS7 at Stockwell with barely a wrinkle in the road surface. The section from Loughborough Jct to Stockwell finally has cycle markings on it, its SO much better. I go that way rather than Lyndhurst/canal/Burgess park now.

Going eastwards along East Dulwich Grove (away from Lordship Lane) is pretty grim purely due to the lack of space and proximity to parked cars and the buses going up and down. I always feel harassed or hemmed in by drivers who feel they ought to be bombing along there but who are unable to do so as there is not quite enough space to get past a bicycle. I did see a consultation being circulated about this a while ago but I don't know if the proposed measures will go ahead.

I agree about the bottom of Denmark Hill, it's awful and that route made more inconvenient still now with cycle path being close on the Caldecot Rd cut-through. I'm also annoyed about the lack of cycling route provision at St Agnes Place, which is the short cut/safe route between Camberwell New Rd and Kennington Park Rd, avoiding the Oval junction.

St Norbert Road in Brockley is an absolute shocker- cracks and holes all over the place, if you ride it at night even with a decent light on you just have no chance of knowing what heavy bumps you might hit !! It is way overdue a bit of re-surfacing.

Agree wholeheartedly about Lyndhurst Way.

There's a very nasty (at least 2 inch wide) long groove in the road - like a tram line - that runs from the bottom of Chadwick to at least Warwick Gardens that I have to consciously avoid so as not to come off my bike by getting the tyres wedged in it. It's in a really annoying position in the road too - about a metre apart from the parked cars. And avoiding it often puts me slap bang in the path of the bus or drivers which is never ideal. Lethal in the dark too.

I ride a sit up and beg bike and have actually had the mechanical fixtures that keep my basket attached to my head stem shaken off when cycling down that road.