New Shops in Dulwich / Peckham

Message added by Administrator,

Due to this topic being excessively long, a new 2024 "New Shops in Dulwich / Peckham" has been opened here. Please continue the discussion there.

DulwichFox Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It amazes me that with our close proximity to

> Peckham and Brixton there are no

> African / Caribbean restaurants in East Dulwich.

>

>

> There is seemingly no request from EDF users for

> such a restaurant.

>

> Why is that. ? White middle class nimby's

>

> DulwichFox

With Italian, Indian, Chinese, Japanese etc.. restaurants in ED already, the racist inference here (if that's what is being inferred) is beyond my comprehension?

Rona70

The trouble is just_browsing, and thankyou for sharing your interesting contributions regarding new local business, the gentrification of London causes ethnic and social cleansing on a rapid scale, so the very diversity in retail that we all appreciate becomes segregated to specific areas based purely on the cost of renting a space on a high street. As the demographics change, the rent goes up and down to match those changes. It's all very well saying pop to Peckham if you fancy a Nigerian restaurant, but why can we not have a city in which a Nigerian restaurant sits next door to ToastED or Franco Manca et al? As area gentrify that very diversity is watered down and then eventually large chains move back in and the homogenising continues. I'm sure as someone who's moved from Battersea, you can see how others have done the same and brought their own interests with them which then are reflected in the local area. That's great, but over time the healthy retail mix inevitably disappears and we have another Northcote.

Louisa.

Many years ago, pre-gentrification there was an excellent Carribean restaurant in East Dulwich called Jerk Rock. Sadly the incumbents didn't give it the custom it deserved. As regards the changing face of London. That's what London does. That what it has always done. There are some excellent resources available about London's history, for example the Docklands Museum for those that are interested. London's history differentiates it from, from example a typical town in the South of Spain, it is incomparable. I've been in East Dulwich for years and am happy with the new additions. Also, on a general note I generally applaud anyone who is starting a new business, it is always a step into the unknown for those concerned. For those that no longer enjoy it and are sitting on a property in the area, they are amongst the luckiest people in the world. They have the fantastic opportunity to sell up, buy a lovely place out of London and bank a heap of cash.

grabot Wrote:

For those that no longer enjoy it and are sitting on a property in the

area, they are amongst the luckiest people in the world.

They have the fantastic opportunity to sell up, buy a lovely place out of London and bank

a heap of cash.

I have no need to sell up. If I wanted to live outside of London I would buy something and rent out my house.

Currently ?2,200 pcm. But I am going nowhere.

I hate the countryside.

DulwichFox

Hello - it's Jen from Hop Burns & Black here. We just wanted to say thanks so much to just_browsing (and indeed all of the other wonderful folk who have made our first week and a half of trading such a joy). Anyone who has started a business or undertaken a major project will know what a crazy, stressful time it can be - the reward is all in the great people you meet, and receiving lovely feedback such as this is a fantastic bonus. It's made our night. :)

Indeed. The rebrand into the two victims/underdogs is pretty tragic, as are the racist aspersions. DF - you've never clamoured for Afro-Caribbean eateries either that I can recall? Red herring...

Interesting re Southerden. Ellie's lacklustre, cat-hair infested baked goods didn't last there either (I suspect unrestrained cannibalism of stock) - obviously not quite the spot for it.

just_browsing Wrote:

>... I would be interested by other people's

> (other than me, not other than Dulwich Fox, to be

> clear..) reactions to or information on some of

> the new places that have both opened and are due

> to open.

Think Franco Manca is a good thing but loved the Draft House too (one of the few who did), not a huge fan of Sushi so indifferent to that, I like pasta but prefer to cook it myself so probably won't trouble Burro e Salvia too much, love Hop Burns & Black - great beers and chilli products and can see that becoming a regular haunt, like Boulangerie Jade (Barry Rd), never been in the Duck Egg, er.. what else?... Evans Cycles looks good, Like Flying Pig but if they don't have more beers under ?4 a pint (one last week and it ran out) they could lose custom as it's available elsewhere, and didn't used to like Great Exhibition but do now.

All subjective.

cle Wrote:

. DF

> - you've never clamoured for Afro-Caribbean

> eateries either that I can recall? Red herring...

I've never clamoured for any eatery..

I've never clamoured for any other outlet..

I've given my support to many outlets over the years and have credited them on EDF

(The Positive stuff that Selective Readers never mention when having a pop.)

Iceland, Dulwich DIY, Shauns DIY, Dulwich Tandoori, Jaflong , Mirash, Curry Cabin,

Hisar, Kebab and wine, Clippers, John Alan, Locale(now gone),EDT, Hirsts Bakery, SMBS.

So let's ditch all the DulwichFox negativity crap once and for all..

DulwichFox

Fox my point precisely.

I remember when I tried my hardest to support Le Moulin, the owners were genuinely lovely people and I always sung the praises of the restaurant on here. Often criticised and ridiculed for doing so. When the boot is on the other foot, I'm criticised for not supporting new businesses into the area, when many of those people who moved here because they liked what ED had become and not what made it special and diverse in the first place, disliked so much about what the area was and the businesses within in. Highly convenient they choose not to mention any of this.

Louisa.

Louisa...

Totally agree..

I've never actually written anything Negative about any place I've eaten in.

I belong to the Curry Club and we go to a diff Rest each month.

We do give feedback if food was good or if we felt a bit disappointed.

But as it has been going for 8 ? years the group(and anyone is welcome to come along)

has been to all the Indian rests. on numerous occasions.

So good nights and not so good nights.

I expressed my doubts over the Patch. I did not think their business plan could ever work.

Others slagged off other outlets that could no longer be mentioned. I never did.

I said Pizza was overrated and jokingly suggested it was just cheese on toast.

I also said I thought Franco Manca was the best make over of any ED. business.

I added I thought their pricing was fair.. and I was sure they would do well.

All Positive comments ignored...

Can't win.

Foxy

Hi Dodo1, thank you so much for the kind words. The simple explanation is that beer and hot sauce are two of our favourite things. Completely unscientific research also suggests that a lot of people who love exploring the wonderful world of beer also enjoy sublimely/ridiculously hot sauces, so we thought we'd put it to the test. We can confirm this hypothesis does appear to be borne out from what we've observed over the past two weeks. (Beer and hot sauce also go really well together.)

cle Wrote:

> Interesting re Southerden. Ellie's lacklustre,

> cat-hair infested baked goods didn't last there

> either (I suspect unrestrained cannibalism of

> stock) - obviously not quite the spot for it.

I get the impression that things were going just fine for Southerden, they just decided to expand into a larger shop in a higher profile area - as well as growing the production/wholesale side of things. Gutted to lose one of the best patisseries in London, but the Tapas bar sounds great too.

Louisa Wrote:

> woodleigh Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> >

> > I wonder if those who do not like what East

> > Dulwich has become might consider cashing in on

> > the huge increase in the value of their homes

> that

> > they will have enjoyed thanks to the influx of

> the

> > new middle-class sourdough eaters, and find

> > somewhere less posh to live!

>

> Or maybe those very people (many of whom

> contribute to this forum) have already been forced

> out of the place they were born in because the

> sour dough eaters have moved in and priced them

> out the place they grew up in? Just a thought :)

>

> Louisa.

This also assumes they own their home.

It's great that there is a diversity of views and negative views are as valid as positive ones.

I think Louisa's and DF's views are interesting precisely they are sometimes different from my own.

But have to say that this notion that my tastes and preferences as less valid because I wasn't born here or have lived here as long really grates.

Does being born in SE15/22 give one special rights vs those that have merely moved here later in life?

This is not say that one shouldn't be aware of and appreciate the history of a place. I can understand the reminiscing of times past and nostalgia but the problem with sharing golden memories with a crowd of folks who weren't there... well, it's the internet version of being forced to see someone else's holiday slideshow...

And while it's unfortunate that the old shops shut - it's hardly the new shop's fault! In fact, it seems like often the commentary against the new shops is more angst about the "new" customers.

I had an unexpectedly good night at Four Quarters in Peckham. Good beer and well constructed nostalgia for anyone who enjoyed playing Street Fighter 2 in the arcade as a youth; the music, posters and retro TV add a lot to the atmosphere.

Big caveat to my recommendation, I have eulogised about the Patch in the past, but for a brief time I actually think that it was very good.