New Shops in Dulwich / Peckham

Message added by Administrator,

Due to this topic being excessively long, a new 2024 "New Shops in Dulwich / Peckham" has been opened here. Please continue the discussion there.

We have lost most of our pubs. EDT being the only real pub left on LL.

The (old style) CPT was a traditional pub, even in its purple phase - it's replacement has managed to win Time Out's local pub of the year - although I entirely understand and respect the attraction of a traditional south London boozer it's been a long time since I've been a regular at one (I used to be, 30 years or so ago).

Demography, and customer needs, change. There will always be people left behind when the zeitgeist shifts (i have been, on occasion) - but in the end the market wins out. It may be that the EDT's unique position in LL will preserve it, as sufficient willing customers stay with it (I hope so) - but if it fails through lack of custom, well that's the way the twice cooked pastry crumbles.

It's interesting that, despite the shifts, the Patch appears to have followed the Mag and and the Magnolia - which may be an issue of another retail paradigm - location, location, location. I went there 3 times - always enjoyed it, never wanted to be a regular.

While I agree that location and competition has a lot to do with the failure of the latest incarnation of the Mag/Magnolia site I think you only need to look at the Crooked Well in Camberwell as an example of somewhere where the guys who have taken over clearly had experience and vision, had done their homework and clearly weren't afraid of hard work. That site had failed so many times over the years and these guys moved in and got it right from the start and built up loyalty and business by great service and food and by tapping into what was missing in the local market. They've had great, well deserved success so it's not out of the question the Mag site could succeed one day. The cinema could also really help that site in the future for none brave enough to take it on...

LouiseC Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> While I agree that location and competition has a

> lot to do with the failure of the latest

> incarnation of the Mag/Magnolia site I think you

> only need to look at the Crooked Well in

> Camberwell as an example of somewhere where the

> guys who have taken over clearly had experience

> and vision, had done their homework and clearly

> weren't afraid of hard work. That site had failed

> so many times over the years and these guys moved

> in and got it right from the start and built up

> loyalty and business by great service and food and

> by tapping into what was missing in the local

> market. They've had great, well deserved success

> so it's not out of the question the Mag site could

> succeed one day. The cinema could also really help

> that site in the future for none brave enough to

> take it on...

I agree with all that too.

Not sure about the Nando suggestion though .... :)

I think the forum would benefit from Louisa and Dulwich Fox taking, mmmm, let's say, 24 hours' break from their constant hijacking of every thread. I am so bored of reading their opinions. Am I alone? Can't imagine that this will ever happen! How lovely it would be though to read an interesting thread about a new business or similar without it being immediately hijacked by the same people with their well known opinions. I can't be the only person who opens a thread thinking it might be interesting and perhaps I'll contribute, only to find it is the same old predictable repetitive malarkey.

Andricia Wrote:

> I think the forum would benefit from Louisa and

> Dulwich Fox taking, mmmm, let's say, 24 hours'

> break from their constant hijacking of every

> thread. I am so bored of reading their opinions.

Errh Excuse me... and you are...??

I've lived in East Dulwich for 35 years and in Peckham for 28 years before that.

I've earned my right to have my say. To have an opinion.

The very nature of you post is in itself negative as you have not actually

posted anything positive about any outlet in East Dulwich.

I have posted dozens of good reports about several establishments in ED.

That is why I am welcome in many places and get well treated when I dine out there.

Don't listen to the Hounds...

Hounds hunt in Packs.

The Fox is a solitary creature and hunts alone.

DulwichFox

Dulwich Fox, good on you! I am really happy to learn that you have lived in ED for 35 years and Peckham for 28 years before that.

I didn't realise I needed some sort of qualification to post one opinion on the website. If it matters, I bought a property here some years ago. I love ED. I enjoy the forum but I really get tired of reading threads that start very interestingly but quickly end up as the same hash of views that I've read many times as a keen reader of the forum. For your interest, and perhaps as the qualification you're looking for, I've sold some stuff on here, given some stuff away and found out about community events that I've subsequently gone along to. Perhaps there might be more diversity of contributions and contributors on the ED forum on various issues, if there was ever a gap in the market to insert any.

Cheers.

Andricia Wrote:

> I think the forum would benefit from Louisa and

> Dulwich Fox taking, mmmm, let's say, 24 hours'

> break from their constant hijacking of every

> thread.

Firstly, I don't "hijack" every thread, and I clearly tried twice to keep this thread on topic but people like you are consistently taking it off topic by referring to my opinions. If they don't matter to you, don't comment on them. Please, I'm really not bothered about your opinions. Quite simple.

Louisa.

Since relocating to East Dulwich, I have found myself making my way home along dark cold streets many a time when I see a fox roughly 80 feet ahead of me. Almost all of them, after a brief glance, cross the street, or shift into a front yard. One fox however, that I encounter from time to time, doesn't move a muscle and stands there in the middle of the road, or on the sidewalk in which case I am forced to cross over. I assume this is the Dulwich Fox.