-------------------------------------------------------

> I was sitting outside Oddonos last night and there

> were lot's of people outside Jade's too. It's good

> on that little stretch, because the pavement is

> wide enough to accommodate outside seating. Add

> the new Italian to the parade and it will be quite

> buzzy.

>

> Shame about Moxon's stinking it up tho ;-)

Careful.. Remember the indignation that abounded when Franklins put a few extra chairs out. Looking forward to Burro and the Black Lab. All the others (bar the silly dog shop) sound like good additions.

Just looked at the website, mains look to be ?4-?5, which doesn't seem too bad... isn't that similar to a supermarket ready meal?

I can definitely see the appeal of something like this... for instance, I love shepherds pie but if I get home from work at 8pm or whatever, I'm not going spend an hour making the sodding thing. Supermarket ready meals tend to taste a bit grim, and usually too salty. Takeaways tend to cost a minimum of ?20 for two, and are universally unhealthy.

If it really does come to ED, I'll probably give it a go and judge for myself.

StraferJack Wrote:

> this is it Jeremey - they promote themselves as

> being better/fresher cooked than supermarket ready

> meals but end result is the same. And anything

> with mash in it from their range is like baby food

I'm a fan. It's all relative. There are at least five tiers of ready meal ranging from cheap mince Bolognese for 1 at Tesco for ?1.50 to Waitrose level stuff. As for additives... I've found that you tend to get more the cheaper you go. Not always but often.

The Cook stuff def has fewer additives than many supermarket ready meals. They have a few great dishes (love their Coq au Vin) and many others that are ok. They cook well straight from frozen which is the whole point as you can go from freezer to the table in under an hour. And they have a reliable and speedy local delivery service.

Jeremy - why wait for any shop to open in ED - just jump online and give them a go?

There's going to be a new place called Hop, Burns and Black on East Dulwich Road near Aneto Cafe and Flying Pig. As above, Cafe G is opening this weekend.

There are a few places being done up at the lower end of Rye Lane (in addition to Lerryn's and Four Quarters) - no idea if they will be exciting, but they'll be new for sure.

Still a mystery on what's replacing the East Dulwich Deli, as well as what is happening to Crown House opposite Goose Green.

The shop and post office at the top of Lordship Lane, next to (and presumably slowly stifled by) Sainsbury's Local is now emptying and will close soon. Does anyone know what will be there next? One of my pet peeves with all the Local/Metro/M&S Food Halls etc is how freezing cold they are; can't be environmentally friendly, can it.

I think Cook does a great job of good quality, family friendly food and I believe they've been delivering for ages; you can also order online. The idea is supposed to be that it's like good home-made as it's flash frozen as soon as it's cooked, so low on additives/preservatives and a lot more nutrients than cook-chill ready meals in supermarkets, which are pretty dead nutritionally (here she goes again). My favourite is the small smoked salmon and pesto quiches, which are lovely. The cake cabinet is also worth investigating.

Brick Brewery on Blenheim Grove where the reclamation place used to be. Plus, a couple of months back a bar/food place appeared to be under construction where the Sassoon Gallery used to be out back of Bar Storey. The Gallery itself appeared to have moved into an adjacent unit. My daytime favourite is Barry's Diner, the small cafe in the arcade leading from Blenheim Grove to the station.

Elsewhere, on Choumert Grove a third foodie unit appears to have opened up near to the two coffee/cake type places opposite the Thomas Calton Centre. I didn't stop to check out what it was offering but it looked more seriously savoury than the others.

Disappointingly, the Nigel Road area at the bottom of the Rye has been hit with a plague of estate agents. Fingers crossed the two units being worked on at the moment are destined to be something different.

Hmmm - interesting. That parade is a mixed bag at the moment so it will be good to see something nice open up there.

just_browsing Wrote:

> There's going to be a new place called Hop, Burns

> and Black on East Dulwich Road near Aneto Cafe and

> Flying Pig. As above, Cafe G is opening this

> weekend.

>

> There are a few places being done up at the lower

> end of Rye Lane (in addition to Lerryn's and Four

> Quarters) - no idea if they will be exciting, but

> they'll be new for sure.

>

> Still a mystery on what's replacing the East

> Dulwich Deli, as well as what is happening to

> Crown House opposite Goose Green.

On the EAst Dulwich Road parade, the barber is either being replaced or renovated too. As for Nigel Road, yes, the Blue Tit hairdresser came but nothing has followed.

As for railway arches and the Sassoon Gallery' that's Peckham Springs - nice enough for a pricey beer/cocktail, although I gather Bar Story has a better range if food. Meanwhile, the Brick Brewery is really superlative and Choumert Road, with Southerden, Cafe Viva and Small White Elephant, has got a great range of quirky, cute caf?s.

Peckham Refreshment Rooms has reopened with an extended premises today, and does great food (perhaps more of a treat than a regular haunt - dishes are delicious but not exactly huge and not exactly cheap), while we ate at the relatively new Artusi (reviewed by Jay Rayner, leading to the inevitable impossibility of booking for a few months) this week, and it really was sensationally good.

Staying in Peckham (I ow this will already have riled Forumites for straying across the boundary but hey, it's in the subject and all eminently walkable from East Dulwich, assuming no mobility challenges) - agree entirely on Barry's In the arches being worth a visit, if only just to meet the lovely Barry. Finally, Peckahm Bazaar is back open, on a corner in a somewhat eerie residential area. I've heard great things but a booking a fortnight ago coincided with me breaking my ankle so had to postpone.

Back in East Dulwich, there are positive noises being made about a new Italian cafe near the station elsewhere on the forum(excluding those who don't frequent caf?s who, despite sitting well outside the target market, still feel emboldened to critique their very existence and the, to my mind brave and admirable, entrepreneurship of those setting them up (sorry, brief gripe over)).

Is the Hause of Wood definitely being replaced by a cafe? Even I, an accredited cafe and coffee addict, realises this can all get a bit much.