How do you percieve East Dulwich?

lgyaajh

I think the overwhelming majority of Victorian houses that border the northern end of ED is what symbolises the place. They are remarkably intact, with seemingly just a few newer houses mainly where A Hitler & Co did some demolition in the 40s.

Clearly it centre around the Lane, especially the northern end, and fades out on Forest Hill road, at the Grove Tavern in the south, and then over to the station and hospital. Somewhere between Goose Green and dear old South Peckham it also subtly merges into that other place.

Having known it since the early 70s, I think it is much more interesting today though there are downsides. In those days it was a white working class suburb I seem to remember.

Brendan Wrote,

Come on admit it, that?s just a direct crib from, Politically Correct Euphemism for Dummies.

DM knows about political correctness, specifically who would be the correct politicians to invite to a garden party.

Not at all, I just found it slightly offensive, In a Margo from the Goodlife kind of way. I wouldnt say it was vile some of the people are, some people in ED are aswell, just a differennt kind of vile. but im never intimidated by them. I know that a lot of the problems in Peckham are bourn out of poverty and some of the people are less fortunate than others. im a big lad and I dont like walking around there at night either, but I quite like it down there. its not that bad. and on a good day it can be quite entertaining. Ive seen a rocking church band on a Sunday, there is always something going on by the library and there are some cool shops.

Peckham as improved in many ways since the 1970's/1980's, certainly aesthetically.

Some memories of Dear Peckham, just from "Melon Lane"

1/ Guys running down The High Street with baseball bats,but did not catch anyone.

2/ Police and large mob fighting in Melon Lane near the end of Peckham Road and The Library.(It was the fault of The Police as they tried to arrest someone!):-S....

3/ Going down a Cul-De-Sac in Melon Lane by a "Yoof" Club and getting intimidated when I had to pass back that way after having to turn round.

4/ The Melon Lane classic!....large group of 20 or so Yoofs(accompanied by 15 Girls sitting on the wall close by)."How nice" I thought they are Dancing and doing their "thing" only they were NOT "Dancing" at all but kicking the Granny out of this Long-Haired "Student Type" who EMERGED from under their legs after a while!..and The Girls did not take a blind bit of notice!

5/ The brick thru' the Hairdressers opposite Melon Lane, while my best M8's Mum was in there...

Sadly, "Melon Lane" is no more....added a certain "character" to the area, for sure.

dulwichmum Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> East Dulwich is the bubble wrap that protects

> fabulous SE21 (The Village and West Dulwich) from

> the vileness of Peckham sweetie. Simples!!!

I live in Peckham and work/live in East Dulwich (complicated... don't ask)

Have not come across vileness in Peckham, hope it's not creeping into Dulwich

edited cos of my usual mad typing dyslexic combo

LegalEagle-ish Wrote:

> What I think might be interesting is to see how

> quick the demographics change as the recession

> bites and those who can head for the 'burbs to

> escape the inevitable rise in crime.

In all seriousness I have to tell you that none of my friends or acquaintances remain in "Inner" South London, which is sad.

Particularly as it IS a great place, warts and all.

Virtually all these people were from Generations of London(mainly South) Families and yet they, independently of ach other moved in their "millions" from London in the 1970's-1990's....certainly 70% of all Suburbanites come directly from Inner London or their Parents did.

I've said b4 only 6 out of 645 School Pupils from my school who left in the early 1970's still live in South London (Inner)..more live in Sydney,Australia so can't be many more who do want to move out...?

I'm not so sure the demographics will change that much. These may be hard times, but I don't think ED is made up of city folk so much so I doubt there will be massive redundancies in the area leading to repossessions.

Basically, all this is really going to mean for the majority of people is that they'll have to put the plans to upsize on hold, and stick where they are for a while.

Everyone is going on about house prices falling, but if you're not selling and your job is safe, you're okay.

Well there are quite a few of us city workers in ED... you get to recognise the faces waiting at the station, who then make the trudge over London Bridge every morning. But we're in a full-on recession, it's not just impacting the finance sector.

Not sure about change in demographics... we'll see.

charliecharlie Wrote:

> dulwichmum Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > East Dulwich is the bubble wrap that protects

> > fabulous SE21 (The Village and West Dulwich)

> from

> > the vileness of Peckham sweetie. Simples!!!

>

> I live in Peckham and work/live in East Dulwich

> (complicated... don't ask)

> Have not come across vileness in Peckham, hope

> it's not creeping into Dulwich

>

Lots of black people though. Some with suitcases.

I can't see many off here being brave enough to cross the border with such malevolence about.

Shame, cheap veg shops round there.

Tony in my honest opinion as a long standing local resident, Peckham has certainly not improved aesthetically and is possibly one of the grottiest smelliest s*itholes in south London, but again just an opinion.

As much as I hate this way ED has changed (in some ways), the way Peckham has changed has been even more significantly shocking in the last two decades.

Louisa.

Jeremy I know a few of you work in the city, but I was thinking more the buyers and sellers on big bonuses.

I know this could well spread much further than that (I saw a good friend the other day who is really worried about his job as an architect), but I don't think the "middle classes" of ED are all going to lose their homes, whilst the hoodies start smashing stuff up.

I hate this way ED has changed (in some ways), the way Peckham has changed has been even more significantly shocking in the last two decades.

What Louisa said!!!

Was chatting to Bob S and his lovely lady about this some time ago. When I was a kid, Rye Lane used to be a good plave to go and shop!

Louisa Wrote:

> Tony in my honest opinion as a long standing local

> resident, Peckham has certainly not improved

> aesthetically and is possibly one of the grottiest

> smelliest s*itholes in south London, but again

> just an opinion.

I do respect opinions based on personal experience and as you have been a lomg-term Resident then its fair to assume that you do know exactly what you are talking about Louisa.

I just feel the area in Peckham Road near The Library and the smaller buildings off Commercial Way and the demise of some of those Estates seems to have made it look better but I certainly would not want to walk thru' there, regularly, as I used to at 3.00/4.00AM in the early 1970's for sure...

Keef Wrote:

> I hate this way ED has changed (in some ways), the

> way Peckham has changed has been even more

> significantly shocking in the last two decades.

>

> What Louisa said!!!

>

> Was chatting to Bob S and his lovely lady about

> this some time ago. When I was a kid, Rye Lane

> used to be a good plave to go and shop!

It still is. Depends what you're shopping for.

Yeah, there's no 'White Stuff' or er, 'Jojo Maman Bebe' (how do they LIVE like that!) , but with an absolutely packed high street every Saturday they must be selling something people want.

Yeah, there's no 'White Stuff' or er, 'Jojo Maman Bebe'

Neither of which existed when I was a kid, at which point Rye Lane was thethriving busy shopping centre and markets, whilst Lordship Lane was somewhere you popped to to get something you'd forgotten in Peckham from one of the little grocers.

dulwichmum Wrote:

> Yes indded, it depends on what you are shopping

> for. If you are in search of 4 wigs for a tenner,

> you are in luck!

What about the hundreds of other shops that don't sell wigs? The ones that sell er, food and stuff?

Full of oiks and poor people I'll wager.

One of ED's greatest assets is this forum but that is thanks to the boy Mark who created it.

Ed is less stuffy than dulwich village, west dulwich and herne hill, and property it is cheaper.

There seem to be more buggies per square yard here too.

So possibly a younger crowd, that will eventually move off to the other areas as they progress up the ladder of success

and middle age.