On the Ball (new Football Focus)

matthew123

I think on this occasion Chelsea are right to yield the axe but they have a pretty poor track record with managers...

David Webb's reward for coming in mid-season and saving Chelsea from relegation in the early 90s was the sack by Ken Bates. Few years later Ruud Gullit got the push with Bates using the infamous "netto" wages demands as the reason. Then Abramovich & Kenyon came in and treated Ranieri like a dog... but the worst treatment of all was reserved for Avram Grant who in any other season (with a slice less of bad luck) would have claimed the League and European Champions League double.

To be honest Sean I've a few friends on both sides of the Sheffield divide and have had a soft spot for both teams due to that, and can't bring myself to wish the Blades ill, I just wish they'd fuck off and leave us alone.

And cheers Sandperson, it was a good reflection on us that it took a moment of brilliance like that to break us down, pity we couldn't get the ball in the net as a draw would have been a fair reflection. Cole's improving many areas of his game but that poacher's instinct is still a little, mmm ragged shall we say.

Exactly right. You don't become a bad manager overnight and Scolari's record is very impressive. It's an ageing side, he's not had the funds that Mourinho had and essentially they are all his players, plus there have been plenty of injuries there, Drogba, Essien, Terry, Carvalho, Joe Cole etc and an owner who appears to have lost interest.

Putting aside the belief that because Scolari looks like a mafia boss he must be a terrific manager, let us examine some key facts: -

1) Did Scolari over achieve by winning World Cup when he had Ronaldinho, Ronaldo and Rivaldo? As all I remember was them struggling past England, then squeezing a 1-0 win against Turkey in semi finals, and then beating worst ever German team (according to pundits) in final with 2 late goals.

2) What did he do with Portugal, described as the golden generation apart from just about beating England twice? When it came down to it with Portugal they had no tactics, no plan B, nothing with those great players to beat Greece in the final in their own backyard.

3) Scolari had a huge reputation, but I don't ever remember any other European giants beating a path to his door ... I know England were after him but when you consider who the alternative was, i.e. Steve McClaren, that is hardly surprising.

4) Chelsea have a formidable squad of players and the results were very poor - Avram Grant did a better job with a slightly weaker squad and that in an environment where he had neither support on the terraces or team bus.

In the Premiership it is a weekly battle of tactics - teams will quickly adapt to try and nullify your strengths and that is what has happened over the last few months to Chelsea. Scolari has not been able to find a solution, not because there is not a solution, but because he is not good enough to find the answers to take Chelsea forward.

mockney piers Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> And cheers Sandperson, it was a good reflection on

> us that it took a moment of brilliance like that

> to break us down, pity we couldn't get the ball in

> the net as a draw would have been a fair

> reflection. Cole's improving many areas of his

> game but that poacher's instinct is still a

> little, mmm ragged shall we say.

I fogot to mention Cole, when did he get so good? He made our defence nervous every time he got on the ball. I hope he fulfills his obvious potential before the end of the season. If Arsenal (sorry LG and Atila) keep going the way they are would you think you could make Europe? It would take Everton to go through a bad patch I suppose.

Fergie sees off another premiership manager. Now for Benitez. :))

matthew123 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Putting aside the belief that because Scolari

> looks like a mafia boss he must be a terrific

> manager, let us examine some key facts: -

>

> 1) Did Scolari over achieve by winning World Cup

> when he had Ronaldinho, Ronaldo and Rivaldo? As

> all I remember was them struggling past England,

> then squeezing a 1-0 win against Turkey in semi

> finals, and then beating worst ever German team

> (according to pundits) in final with 2 late

> goals.

>

> 2) What did he do with Portugal, described as the

> golden generation apart from just about beating

> England twice? When it came down to it with

> Portugal they had no tactics, no plan B, nothing

> with those great players to beat Greece in the

> final in their own backyard.

>

> 3) Scolari had a huge reputation, but I don't ever

> remember any other European giants beating a path

> to his door ... I know England were after him but

> when you consider who the alternative was, i.e.

> Steve McClaren, that is hardly surprising.

>

> 4) Chelsea have a formidable squad of players and

> the results were very poor - Avram Grant did a

> better job with a slightly weaker squad and that

> in an environment where he had neither support on

> the terraces or team bus.

>

> In the Premiership it is a weekly battle of

> tactics - teams will quickly adapt to try and

> nullify your strengths and that is what has

> happened over the last few months to Chelsea.

> Scolari has not been able to find a solution, not

> because there is not a solution, but because he is

> not good enough to find the answers to take

> Chelsea forward.

Thanks for taking Peter Kenyon of our hands, not even Cantona at a million squid was better value...you sacked the wrong guy... again!

All of matthews points are bang on, but were just as true 7 months ago as now - so who made the mistakes in this. I'm looking at Kenyon and RA

Regardless of who over-achieveing and/or lucky Scolari has been so far you can not give someone a job with an ageing squad, freeze most spending, cut your scouting setup and then not even allow him to finish a season where he can be judged on what trophies have been acquired or not

You can make a good case for stopping the rot early but all that wil lbe achieved now is a rushed appointment, a slight period of readjustment and then more instability as summer approaches

It's all good from an Arsenal perspective - we need that fourth spot so Chelsea messing up suits us. But the sacking sits badly with me

Typical Chelsea!! I said at the time and I'll say it again. Chelsea bought the back to back to back titles and have done sod all since. The way they dispatch managers, regardless of the performance put in by them, is a disgrace but in keeping with the traits of a Russian Mafioso, sorry Oligarch. All I can say is it couldn't happen to a nicer team. If it is true thatDrogba was one of 3 players responsible for getting him the boot, then you've gor to laugh. Wasn't this the same bloke who couldn't wait to get out of Chelsea a little while ago and has shown little by way of commitment to the club and his performances have been less than convincing. People like Abramovich deserve to have the likes of Drogba, Lampard et al, whose only loyalty is to the pound note.

I expect Avram Grant to be made Chelsea Manager for rest of season - and I expect it to happen within the next 48 hours.

He parted on good terms with Abramovich, and the Russian knows it's the least risky option to secure a top 4 finish for Champions League qualification. I'd think Chelsea will make Grant an offer he cannot refuse even if it's for just 4 months.

Then in the summer they'll try and bring in Frank Rikjaard as new Manager.

EDIT: Woho! I've just put ?2 at 6/1 on Grant becoming new Chelsea Manager.

In the premiership, there are only 3 clubs I can think of that have had any real continuity in the shape of the same manager over a period of years and they are Everton (Moyes), Man U (Fergie), and Arsenal (Wenger) all of these clubs have stability as a result and varying degrees of success. I think these 2 factors are inextricably linked. Chelsea believe that money buys success, for two successive seasons it worked for them. Man U and Arsenals success in the prem and elsewhere wasn't gained by throwing money around in the manner that Chelsea have, they both got the success and financial gain followed on. Which is why I always sneer at Chelsea. No matter what I think of Man U as an Arsenal supporter, I always admire the succes and the way they play.