Burro e Salvia is coming to East Dulwich

very much looking forward to trying it out I have to say...I've lived around here since the late 90s, and I have found myself arranging to do things more locally then I used to, rather than in town, e.g. my birthday this weekend, meeting friends in my local pub saturday night & having sunday lunch with visiting family on the lane...nice to have one more place to go to add to the list (tho the only paper I've read recently is the odd metro on my rare rail commute, so will I be allowed in not having purchased a Guardian ?) Louisa you are the only one banging on about how "guardian readers" want to oppress the lane, no one is saying you have to love a new restaurant, if it's not your preference thats great, don't go, I wouldn't if it wasn't my thing..rather than being personal & derogative about people who might go because of the class bracket you think they are in. Having a different opinion is fine, being insulting isn't & IS trolling.

XIX Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Burroandsalvia,

>

> I would like to apologise on behalf of ED that

> your simple introductory post has been hijacked

> and diverted by the usual suspects saying the same

> boring things over again and again and AGAIN. I

> suspect the majority of people in ED are friendly

> and open minded, and I like look forward to your

> opening. Welcome.

>

> Louisa/Dulwichfox/anyone else involved

>

> PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE go and open a new debate in

> the lounge dedicated to gentrification so that you

> can leave other threads alone to stay on subject.

> Thanks.

Here here!!! Keep these posts about the subject matter as quoted. Defer to the lounge if you want to wax lyrical.

DulwichFox Wrote:

> jimbo1964 Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I was only saying to my son the other day (as

> we

> > looked at the B&S building site) that we're

> lucky

> > to live somewhere where new shops and

> businesses

> > are opening.

>

> The problem is. They are NOT new shops .

>

> The ones that are opening are just replacing ones

> that have closed down.

> People that have lost their livelihoods.

>

> That's the truth of the matter.

>

> Someone's gain is another person's loss..

>

> And that is my main opposition to change.

>

> That is why loyalty is more important than a

> whim.

>

> You see, I truly like East Dulwich. That's why I

> choose to live here.

>

> It' those that want continuous change that are

> not content with living here as it is.

>

> DulwichFox.

Utter cobblers.

Benvenuti Burro E Salvia, Its great we have another Italian opening up. Being Italian of course I am going to be biased, however I think the great collection of shops Italian, French, Asian and of course British restaurants is a great testament, to East Dulwich.

Buona Fortuna

Welcome to the area! Any idea of when you might be opening your doors?

And in response to some earlier posts:

Surely it is neither the landlord's nor the new tenant's fault when an old tenant leaves?

Don't quite understand why fingers are always pointed in these directions when a shop closes?

I'm in agreement Otta. I too wish them well, and I'm sure they have done their research on the area before opening up here. Just a bit disappointing that we have more Italian places when the area no longer has anywhere you can get a decent sit down Mexican meal, amongst other world culinary delights.

Louisa.

To be fair, it's not only Louisa / Dulwichfox. When the sweetshop closed, and the dog shop took it's place, (stupid) people said some really harsh things, as if the dog shop owner had personally gone in and trashed the sweet shop business, rather than taking on an available shop.

Louisa Wrote:

> I'm in agreement Otta. I too wish them well, and

> I'm sure they have done their research on the area

> before opening up here. Just a bit disappointing

> that we have more Italian places when the area no

> longer has anywhere you can get a decent sit down

> Mexican meal, amongst other world culinary

> delights.

>

> Louisa.

Haha, I used to LOVE the Tex Mex place, but not sure they ever served anything that could honestly be described as a "decent Mexican meal".

It was bloody great though.

They became a bit of an institution along the lane, I still miss them. If Tortilla or something similar comes to the area I'll be happy. And I agree Otta, LM and others have very short memories when it comes to picking people out of the crowd and accusing them of negativity. My main point is a bit of variety would be nice, I'm not being negative towards these people as I've already said. The negativity towards the new dog shop was hardly welcoming but the folk so willing to attack my opinions on this thread were oddly quiet on that one. Strange.

Louisa.

burroesalvalnd Wrote:

> We actually already feel we've become part of a

> big (Italian style) family. We look forward to

> meeting all of you soon!

> Oh and by the way....the owner is an ED local!

Right - that's kills it for me - I thought he'd be Italian.

And before anyone takes me literally again ...... don't.