Burro e Salvia is coming to East Dulwich

I do find it hard to understand 'anger' towards new businesses who will be creating employment and providing a service to people who will enjoy their product. They're also filling an empty unit by the way that was doing nothing for anyone. You're under no obligation to use them, especially while there clearly remains ample retail diversity on LL as evidenced by DF's list of long-standing and hardly Chelsea-like businesses (what does that even mean?)

No area of London is static in either population or economic terms and I think it's really rather sad that some are so unwelcoming and frankly prejudiced towards people who have not lived here as long as you may have. Poke fun at people who like a ?4 loaf if you want, but anger? And I doubt the new Italian place will be duplicating much of anything currently available. As if all Italian restaurants were identical!

By the way, I'm planning a trip to the Ayres bakery this weekend - I look forward to sampling your recommendation which I asked of you in good faith.

I agree by and large but don't see what a "Chelsea lifestyle" has to do with any of these things.

MrBen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> edcam Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Do you need a "Chelsea lifestyle" to use estate

> > agents/pizza/indian/Italian/gift shops then?

>

>

> edcam, the jist seems to be.... curry is good and

> helps you live longer. Having 8 curry houses on

> the lane is great and they last without doing much

> visible business because they are busy all the

> time. Italian food on the other hand is bad and we

> have too many Italian eateries. Cafes / coffee

> shops generally are also bad - why bother when you

> can do it at home?

Is Chelsea synonymous with Indian restaurants then? Who knew...

You guys should go and find your own Emmerdale or Ambridge bubble to live in. This is London - it evolves and certainly the advent of good food in this country shouldn't be sniffed at. Nor should new people, so unwelcoming.

No idea what a 'South London budget' is either Louisa - talk about generalisation. Most people gladly spend a few quid more on decent food these days. Don't equate your own failure, poverty or chips & beans nostalgia with others' tastes. Vulgarian.

cle Wrote:

>

> No idea what a 'South London budget' is either

> Louisa - talk about generalisation. Most people

> gladly spend a few quid more on decent food these

> days. Don't equate your own failure, poverty or

> chips & beans nostalgia with others' tastes. Vulgarian.

Sorry cle I wasn't aware you were some sort of demographic expert on London. Thanks for letting us all know though, glad you've put me straight on what "decent food is" and that everyone in south London can afford to waste money on pretentious overpriced food that tastes and looks the same as the food the rest of us eat. I have opinions and I'm entitled to them. Whole neighbourhoods hijacked by posh right on lefties who are experts on food clearly equates to boring clones of the same types of overpriced foody destinations.

Louisa.

jimbo1964 Wrote:

> I was only saying to my son the other day (as we

> looked at the B&S building site) that we're lucky

> to live somewhere where new shops and businesses

> are opening.

The problem is. They are NOT new shops .

The ones that are opening are just replacing ones that have closed down.

People that have lost their livelihoods.

That's the truth of the matter.

Someone's gain is another person's loss..

And that is my main opposition to change.

That is why loyalty is more important than a whim.

You see, I truly like East Dulwich. That's why I choose to live here.

It' those that want continuous change that are not content with living here as it is.

DulwichFox.

Louisa Wrote:

> cle Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> >

> > No idea what a 'South London budget' is either

> > Louisa - talk about generalisation. Most people

> > gladly spend a few quid more on decent food

> these

> > days. Don't equate your own failure, poverty or

> > chips & beans nostalgia with others' tastes.

> Vulgarian.

>

> Sorry cle I wasn't aware you were some sort of

> demographic expert on London. Thanks for letting

> us all know though, glad you've put me straight on

> what "decent food is" and that everyone in south

> London can afford to waste money on pretentious

> overpriced food that tastes and looks the same as

> the food the rest of us eat. I have opinions and

> I'm entitled to them. Whole neighbourhoods

> hijacked by posh right on lefties who are experts

> on food clearly equates to boring clones of the

> same types of overpriced foody destinations.

>

> Louisa.

Yes, indeed when it comes to sweeping generalisations on this board about class, human behaviour and people's wealth and means - possibly there is room for another to share your limelight?

"The rest of us" - haha

Burroandsalvia,

I would like to apologise on behalf of ED that your simple introductory post has been hijacked and diverted by the usual suspects saying the same boring things over again and again and AGAIN. I suspect the majority of people in ED are friendly and open minded, and I like look forward to your opening. Welcome.

Louisa/Dulwichfox/anyone else involved

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE go and open a new debate in the lounge dedicated to gentrification so that you can leave other threads alone to stay on subject. Thanks.

Louisa Wrote:

> Italian food is full of carbs and unfortunately

> has be hijacked by the pretentious guardianista

> brigade in London. Such a shame because I used to

> love the old fashioned style Italian restaurants,

> which have all gone now.

>

> Louisa.

I think your (obviously intended) parody might be helped by using phrases like "When I were a lass" and "back in the good old days" and then maybe you can link it to some image of foxy strolling down LL like Dick van Dyke with all the merry shopkeeps hailing him from their doorways and bidding him good morrow as smiling foxes gambol in his wake.

No?

I think the new place sounds great. And think everyone who is being negative about a new venture opening should vent their opinions elsewhere - it's rather rude to the new business. This happened with the dog shop too! We are lucky to live in such a vibrant area. Good luck burro e salvia! :)

I got the impression a lot of the reason shops were changing hands in East Dulwich was due to landlords putting rent up to unaffordable levels for the current tenants rather than locals wanting posher shops.

I am just pleased that Lordship Lane isn't ending up full of empty shops and that people are still willing to try to make a go of new businesses here. Oh, and that it isn't becoming a clone high street with nothing but chains.

Good luck to all the new businesses starting in the area.

So all people who eat in decent italian restaurants are guardian reading lefties ?? with too much money to spend ? ... Who knew Louisa knew more about me than I do! Thanks for letting me know, I wouldn't have figured it out otherwise thanks to that piece of sweeping & as usual, predictable generalisation. phew !

btw...I worked in a bakery on the kings rd a couple of years ago, believe me the lane has a long way to go to get chelseafied ....and isn't filled with lefties I assure you

Why don't they close all those shops and restaurants selling foreign muck and reopen them as greasy spoon caffs, then close the gastropubs and reopen them as old fashioned boozers where you could share a nice pint with Mad Frankie Fraser and his mates? And then invite Dick Van Dyke back to relive his triumphant chimney sweep days?

That would show Grauniad reading "lefties" like me.

And all the Foxy / Louisa bashers continue when we aren't even posting.

Accusing us of posting off topic.

Why not say something positive yourself on topic instead of talking about me and Louisa.

It is not either of us that are posting off topic.

and what has Dick Van Dyke got to do with anything..??

DF

Otta yes I've been to Thats Amore on Kirkdale it's a really nice place with friendly service. To everyone banging on about my 'negativity', as Fox suggests, talk about what you love rather than what you so dislike about another individual's personal opinions on things. We don't live in a dictatorship, and an open forum such as this is for everyone who lives in and loves East Dulwich- old and new. Clearly some of the guardianista believe this forum and all the shops who open in ED should only reflect their way of life and anyone who disagrees should be shunned and made to look like a troll because we have a love for different things.

Louisa.

DulwichFox Wrote:

"Take a stroll with me down Lordship lane any time of day and just see how many people know me and even wave. I'm well known to many local businesses and on friendly terms."

I almost threw up reading that.

Folie de grandeur.