The Barry Road Race - Saturday 13th June 2009 13:00

Look forward to seeing you all tommorrow. Just finished some pre race prep in Bar Story and feel in tip top condition. Have induldged in some milk based drinks to strenghthen the bones.

For the non "athletes" amongst us, dont worry, there will be competitors of different abilities so no one need feel embarassed during the race, after, then thats your lookout. I myself took just under the hour last year and aim to smash this by a good 2 or 3 mins this year. Families welcome and there is an under 12's race, they are allowed to drink a half pint and a shot.

Looks like the weather is set fair.

The Barry Barry Road Race 09 - its on!

Spoke to Help-ma-boab this morning and I can confirm this years event promises to be more wonderfully chaotic and hilarious than the last. Surfbobby is sounding fitter than ever.

" It promises to be a fun day. And our special guest, Station Master Barry Jones offering to attend in person and donate free train tickets to the winner is phenomenal."

"The Grand National has Bechers Brook. We have Underhill Road Junction."

Then with a smile he adds "It promises to be Barry".

The Barry Barry Road Race is TODAY.

What a top day

Marjorie was outed

StationMaster Barry was present and correct and as much a legend in the flesh as online

I was also well chuffed to meet one of my favourite online forumites for the first time but I'm not sure if he wishes to remain anon or not so shall not mention

As opposed to last years 14 men v 1 female, this year we had something like 12 men v 11 women. Atmos at both the Plough and Clockhouse was ace. Although having raced last year and this year was stuck on admin I'm so racing next year

Many photos and videos were taken so expect footage soon

annaj Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> 24 racers in total made for an impressive site and

> a great day.

>

> Left over money from the drinks kitty has been

> donated to The Anthony Nolan Trust and The MS

> Society charities nominated by the winners of the

> ladies race (very impressive girls!) and one of

> the founding fathers of the race.

Please to not forget Hannibal, the dog of LegalEagle-ish who put in a good performance, came in mid-field and seemed to know where the finishing line was even though his mistress was trailing well behind :))

>

> Well done everybody.

Good morning, I would just to take this opportunity to thank everyone who made me feel very welcome. I had a fantastic day and seriously considering entering next year just to take home the prestigious "Barry Bear"

Great community spirit and a pleasure to be part of the forum

Barry

ps For those thinking I was a balding man in his 50's wearing a yellow waistcoat and tophat and have a blue engine called Thomas in tow, sorry to disappoint:)

Well, a new day breaks and a few sore limbs for sure.... thanks to all for joining in and helping to make it a great day.

Thanks to Station Master Barry for presenting prizes and offering the ladies winners a super prize.

Also thanks to SMG, annaj, nic etc for helping out with the adim side of things on the other end. Cheers.

50 mins for me this year. Got my sights set on 49 for next year......

For sure, a Barry day oot!

Well I've certainly felt better before, however it was all well worth it.

Again big thanks to SMBarry for the prizes and to Anna et al for helping organise what turned out to be a great day of fun. Well done to Paul for taking home the Bear again and thanks to everyone who turned up, took part and cheered on.

See y'all next year for more of the same B)

SB

Great stuff people! From the moment Surfbobby made his glorious entrance at The Plough, respendent in yellow attire, to a sharp suited (and extremely generous) SM Barry Jones presenting the prizes to winners Paul, Natalie and Julie at the end, it was an epic day.

Interesting too to see some things that look certain to become part of future tradition such as the "seeing off of The Bear" before the start of the race - to great cheers!

The Barry Press team has been busy this morning and further photo's, commentary and a video interview with organisers will be posted to the above link by the end of today.