It's contagious, and it's official (aka Tiny Little Things That Cause You Irrational Joy)

charliecharlie

Nah, tis there merely for comparison purposes. The first one is only such a pleasure because of the numerous times the second one has occurred instead. Wake up, usual sense of mounting dread, turn over - surprise! "free" extra hour and a half in bed!

But if you want an unconditional joy, how about when you're lying in bed in the dark, all cosy and warm, and it's raining really hard outside? Oh, and it's the weekend.

Not all of my joys are sleep-related, I should say. Quite a lot of them are, though. One of the simplest and greatest of pleasures.

And now I'm making myself yawn...

???? Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> hearing squeeky "dada,dadda, dadda"s from my 18

> month old when his mum says it's time to wake me

> up and he's toddling up to our bedroom door...even

> though it means I've got to stir....

Snap. This just trumps first pint and a Peter Crouch overhead kick goal.

Day trips to the seaside!

Even today, when it's apparently going to piss down all day. We will just hide in a little seafront caff and drink tea and eat stale buns as the rain lashes the windows, and come home with our skin tasting of salt and our pockets loaded with pebbles...

Good thread CC

Here are a few of mine

The view from Westminster bridge.

Fresh crusty bread and butter.

Good buskers, my favourites are the man who plays the cello on the Southbank and the group that play outside the Crusted Pipe in Covent Garden.

My cats (although they could also go in the small things that cause irrational rage sometimes)

Eating breakfast outside.

Small acts of thoughtfulness or kindness from friends.

And spring spice fudge from the Northcross road fudge lady (that's one I've just discovered today)

When you're walking very quickly and you can cross a road without breaking stride due to a momentary lack of traffic. Just fills me with a sense of self importance.

Likewise, pressing the button to summon a lift and the doors just open immediately. The feelig of joy rises the higher up the building you are.

My favorite view is from Waterloo Bridge...

I am sure I can just see you there in the distance annaj, though you do seem a bit obscured by Hungerford...

http://static.guim.co.uk/Guardian/travel/gallery/2007/aug/09/uk.wales/WaterlooLondon-6359.jpg

xxcc

ps like your list very much indeedy

The sight of the first spring bulbs coming up

The view along the river when coming home after dark from the north side of town - love all the lights

Seeing places I recognize when flying over (probably shouldn't admit to that now it's so unpolitically correct to fly...)

Hearing one of my favourite songs on the radio (just happening right now :-)

Blossom on trees (even though it gives me rampant hay fever)

Sunshine

The first sip of a really good cup of black coffee (i.e. not Starbucks etc... independant cafes serving Illy seem to hit the spot most often)

The taste of the first cherries of summer

Sunrises (if I'm already up) & Sunsets

Jasmine

Riding a motorbike on an empty, scenic road, but slowly because why not?

The smell of really good, really fresh coffee

Seeing unprovoked acts of kindness between complete strangers: gives me hope

Walking barefoot on cool grass in summer

Flicking on the TV on a rainy, hungover Sunday to find an old episode of Poirot (topical)

Tony.London Suburbs Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Santerme Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Fresh fish and chips in West Bay and the fact I

> > can drive there in 20 minutes, which I will

> > probably do thid afternoon having thought about

> > it.

>

> Do you live there now or are you on holiday in

> Dorset?

I have lived in Dorset for about 15 years in the village of Cerne Abbas.

I was just pondering on how much it is like the old days in ED, which was very close knit when I was growing up there.

I was born, schooled and a constant resident of ED until my Grandparents moved in the mid 80's.

Going on a day trip to the seaside where the weathermen have promised there will definitely be dreadful rain all day, and in fact you get beautiful blue sky, sunshine and scudding clouds... and a 99 on the beach.

Waking up incredibly early in the morning or coming home very early in the morning and it seems the whole world is asleep. Big city , lots of people, but at that time everything is quiet, still and very lovely.