It's contagious, and it's official (aka Tiny Little Things That Cause You Irrational Joy)

charliecharlie

This isn't a tiny thing, it's a huge thing, but there isn't a thread for those and this has caused me joy today...

A couple of years ago when my sister was very ill with lymphoma (she's fine now) a close friend of mine went on the bone marrow register as a gesture of support. Now she has been found to be a match for someone who needs a stem cell transplant, the same treatment that saved my sister, and next week is going to donate her stem cells. She is going to give someone else the chance of life-saving treatment.

I just thought that might add a little tiny bit of balance to all the "isn't the world a terrible place" threads.

It's not.

The world is full of amazing people, like my friend, doing amazing things, because they care about other people.

Thanks for that Anna. You're right by the way as it certainly is a cheery catalyst to all the muggings and other encouraged paranoia that keeps rearing it's annoying head. Seriously though...you should give you friend a great big pat on the back...with sugar on top.

I think for the most part we go around commiting little acts of kindness that cumulatively make us enjoy other people and our day to day life.

And then you hear of something that goes beyond that and it just makes you have the hugest admiration for someone you've never met or are never likely to.

AnnaJ please on to your friend my thoughts, best wishes and good luck.

To anyone inspired by AnnaJ's friend to think about joining the register - I'd say go for it. I have been "harvested" and I say this not to polish my halo, but because the Anthony Nolan Trust (the people I signed up with) does ask people to publicise their own experiences as a donor, so that others will perhaps consider signing up.

Also, if you do come up as a match, which is of course by no means guaranteed, the procedure these days doesn't have to be done by a needle going into your hip. As in my case, it can be done with a short course of drugs which may give you slightly achey joints and bones, followed by a few hours lying on a bed attached to a machine that goes whirr-beep. It's a medical decision which option they go for and you as the donor can express a preference too if you wish.

• 2 weeks later...

I just put a tiny bit of mozzarella in each flower and fried them with a bit of butter and olive oil... oh joy

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/6237/courgetteflowersrq0.jpg

Unlike your Carluccio receipe/image, I did not pick the mini veg, I only picked the male flowers so as not to use up any future crop

thanks for the inspiration DaveR(tu)

• 3 months later...

Inspired by Atila on the nasty slapping thread, I've dredged this thread up for some much needed positivity.

Tiny things that have caused me joy in the last few days...

The string quartet in Covent Garden playing an inspired version of The Final Countdown by Europe.

Browsing in a bookshop and seeing new books out by two authors whose first books I loved.

Getting a copy of the first nursery picture of my 18 month old niece and nephew through the post.

My dad making me giggle over dinner in a very nice french dining club.

Anyone else?

Thank you AnnaJ for rescuing this wonderful thread

The lovely barrista in Cafe Nero who gave me a freebie when I switched handbags and left my purse at home

Doing the zipp up on my "skinny jeans" without having to lie down on the floor and suck everything in first

The 176 being my personal taxi of late - it seems to come within 60 seconds of my arriving at the bus stop

giggirl Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Did you go?

O! M! G! I was like so there it was completely the best gig ever at the beginning they played clips from Un Chien Andalou and just when you were getting into they like totally showed the scene where the guy slices the girls eyeball open like they sing about in debaser and it was totally gross but Salvador Dali has the best moustache ever and Mockey wasn?t going to go but he got a ticket at the last minute we were going to drink Carling but I didn?t find him but it didn?t matter and they only had Tuborg anyway which I should have remembered from when we went to the Empire for Pearl Jam which was also so fucking good so I drank Guinness instead and they started off with some B-sides and then the stage lights came on when they played Debaser and they totally fucking rocked the place balls to the wall even though Frank Black looks like a potato but he always did anyway and I bet *Bob*?s bummed because he was going to go but then didn?t and it so rocked they played the whole of Doolittle because it?s the twenty year anniversary of its release and it?s like completely the best Pixies album ever except for the others which are also really good and after they finished the album they did some encores like Where is My Mind and stuff and I was all like ?wow this is so fucking cool? because I was like totally into these guys in the 90s but I only discovered them when they were breaking up so I thought I would never get to see them and bands like that never went to small town South Africa anyway and here I was in London totally watching them with Joey Santiago rocking out on his Les Paul and the drummer Lovering like going totally apeshit on the drums and Mockney?s right Kim Deal does look like my aunt.

I felt the fist kick of our baby to be Elsa one morning whilst spooning with mrs easy at 5am, I got so excited I couldn't go back to sleep and had to get up and clear out the cellar to make room for all the junk thats cluttering the babies new bedroom. I won't forget that as long as I live.

making a sponge cake and then filling it with loads of whipped (double) cream and fresh raspberries and all you mates going "f*ck the calories..." and eating massive slices of it...

bring on the cakes, Autumn is here...

http://www.deliaonline.com/Images/originals/ma004-all-in-one-sponge-ras-18724.jpg