iPhone geekery

mockney piers

Im inclined to agree that convergence is not only a pipe dream but pointless, just think back to those clock radio tv videos that made a bad cuppa tea.

So iPhone, iPod (Sony thingy died) canon camera and laptop.

Doesn't stop it from being funky, but the open sourcing the ability to proram app for the thing, therein lay their stroke of genius and, so far, it's usp.

Talking of which, downloaded the battery life thing. At 70% battery it had about 240 hours standby time, 8 hours ipodding and 3 hours of t'interweb.

MrBen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

> - A battery that LASTS. And I don't mean just 30

> mins listening to your Best of Keane on the train

> in

> Tell me I'm wrong.....

You're wrong.

Everybody knows the Best of Keane needs at least 45 mins...:X

MP - I have to say that I do think they'll get it right for music/internet/email/phone but it'll be a few years yet. If anyone DOES know of a great phone that will fully sync with exchange do tell.

I fear I have disrupted the original intention of this thread....so back to clever iPhone tricks and tips chaps...

snippy snippy Mr. Mac.

But Mr. Ben you raise a wider sociological point. You want your phone to be available to available to Fatty McCheese your biggest client while you are wearing your stooge-of-the-capitalist-system hat but also to be able to send saucy emails with pictures to your girlfriend from a bar in Saigon. Does it really have to be the same device? My S-O-T-C-S bosses have kindly provided me with a blackberry with which to chain me to their trivial whims, but my iPhone (should it arrive on my birthday) will be for Me Me Me. Is this unusual? I prefer to keep things separate, but all around me I see friends and colleagues merrily blurring boundaries.

Is this unusual?

It's quite normal. There are cross-over phones, though, and the iPhone is one of them - mainly because of its perceived high status.

Mr Ben, I don't know of a great phone that will sync with exchange, but what about one of the HTC Windows Mobile Touch phones?

• 2 weeks later...

MrBen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hold up gizmo loving, Guardian reading geeks. I'm

> def NOT a fan. Well yet.....here's why:

>

> I have a spanking new 13 inch 4GB Macbook and am a

> long term I Podder so yes, I appreciate the

> wonders of Apple, the beautiful design and a UI

> that just *works*. But reality check please

Can I suggest you have a look at the Nokia 5800, http://www.tube5800.com/

I sue it as a tool for running my business, listening to sounds, carrying my music and so forth. Does pretty much everything you want (Inc exchange server sync-ing) Hell it even has GPS with geo-tagging, and I'm straight into facebook with it too.

IPhone-Schmyphone, ditch the hype, get a Nokia 5800.....And the money you save you can carry a couple of spare batteries for continual on the go action.

Joking aside though it is seriously good, well worth considering.

• 1 month later...

The thing keeps on giving

mSecure - I have about 4 dozen logins for various banks, accounts, cards, "research" etc - Some of them often fall into disuse because I can't remember which security questions I "tweaked" for security. Now this app keeps track of them all. Sounds silly, but it has made some aspects of my life a lot easier. And obviously it's protected so if I lose my phone...

Spotify - you need to shell for the premium spotify account, but the quality of streaming on 3G and even Edge is fantastic. Failing that yuo can setup offline playlists so the next time you hit wifi, it downloads them all seamlessly. Yes it cossts a tenner a month but I havent bought a CD since

NearestTube - opens the camera which you can wave around anywhere in London - and it then overlays with every tube and train stop, along with how long it takes to get there.

Crosswords - download crosswords from many global papers/periodicals - cryptic and consise, today's and previous. Always good to have a fresh crossword to hand

Can I just take this opportunity to say that I hate itunes? I hate, it I hate it, I hate it. Why the fuck does it refuse to acknowledge that any other software other than fucking itunes exists? Why does it think that it knows best what music I want to listen to? Why won?t it give me the file information I want?

It?s like a petulant, cane happy house master with a religious bent badly in need of a good shooting.

• 3 months later...

Help.

I now own and like my iPhone - a major upgrade from 2001 technology that was my old phone. However, with the old, very old, Nokia I could getin my car, slip the phone into a cradle and have complete hands free telephone service available (including voice activated calls) via a small microphone fitted above the sun visor and using the radio speakers.

I cannot find a car phone fitter that can give me this level of functinality with an iPhone. Ideally I'd like to be able to listen to iPod music, use the iPhone Sat nav app and have a voice activated hands free telephone.

Any advice would be most helpful. I'm prepared to buy / have fitted a new radio - what I don't want which has been offered is to link phone to radio by bluetooth and stick the ophone in the glove compartment, losing Ipod & Sat Nav options.

get the TomTom cradle for Iphone, (you need to but the tomtom app seperately also).

This will give you the sat nav (the cradle has an enhanced GPS chip), a line-out to your car stereo, which means you can use the voice control to play tunes and make calls.

a bit pricey though.

see: http://www.amazon.co.uk/TomTom-Car-Kit-for-iPhone/dp/B002P3KIPC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1263991951&sr=8-1

My car just detects that I've entered the car as long as I have Bluetooth on my iPhone on. I can even peruse the contacts via a thingy on the wheel. I'm sure someone must do a third party version of his. No cradle needed. Very cool.

Yes sean, I have managed to leave the hospital for some fresh air.