I Can't Help Myself - Levi Stubbs

Tutti Frutti - Little Richard

Stay With Me Baby - Lorraine Ellison

The Weight - Levon Helm

Yellow - Chris Martin

Harper Valley PTA - Jeannie C. Riley

Perfect Day - Lou Reed

No Woman No Cry (Live) - Bob Marley

I can't ever see myself getting tired of any of these vocal performances, but if I do...

There, I knew it, I list four incredible vocalists to keep my stock as cool as you like, then try to sneak Apple's dad in and still Mockney searches me out and shoots me down. Godammit; are those tears I cry when I hear "Yellow" not authentic? Sorry that I only do mainstream, I try to get out and about in the musical hinterland but my sorties are less far-flung and exploratory than yours. OK, I concede, Martin is the zillionth best singer in the land. Instead I give you someone that you surely won't think is bland; Dido!

annaj Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Moten Harkert.

>

> Yes, I'm emtirely serious.

> Ok, so it was mostly pretty light weight pop, but

> that's an amazing voice.

Did you spot him on Jonathan Ross last night? Sounding good and looking remarkably well preserved... going to be 50 this year, but (admittedly on my crappy TV) he would have passed for a 30 something.

The only vocalist in recent years who really gave me that "hair standing end" feeling was Norah Jones on her first album, not quite so taken with the other two. I don't really like anything Simply Red have done in recent years, but I will confess that I saw them live over 20 years ago, and Mick Hucknell sang Holding back the years with just an acoustic guitar and it was definitely a hair standing on end moment.

Current favourite vocalists would have to include James Morrison and Madeleine Peyroux.

No, missed him on Jonathon Ross.....

because I was at the Roundhouse seeing them live.

Totally still got it - voice and looks (although I did spot a teeny tiny bald patch, but I'm blocking it from my mind).

See for yourself (is it very backwards of me to still think it's crazy how fast stuff makes it to the internet. Oh and it's not my video, obviously, I'm am very respectful of copyright laws)

and just for Sean
which is one of their best.

bigbadwolf Wrote:

> Ah Anna, you'd make my mum cry if she saw that.

> The first video footage of me she has shows me

> rebounding around the living room dancing to the

> Living Daylights in my Snoopy romper suit.

>

> I was about 6 at the time.

Snoopy romper suit? Six years old?

I think I'll just leave it there.

Really, I make no comment.

None whatsoever.

I'm glad it's about vocalists rather than singers, here are some that have almost made the step from talking to vocelising/singing/somewhere inbetween. And in the case of Peter Sellers didn't sing or vocalise, just talked.

So shoot me.

Anyway the performances are captivating. Certainly round my house.

Terry - Twinkle

People Who Died - Jim Carroll

If - Telly Savalas

B-Movie - Gil Scott-Heron

36 Hours - John Cooper-Clarke

Plastic Jesus - Paul Newman

Funky Cold Medina - Tone Loc

Hard Day's Night - Peter Sellers

Firestarter - Keith Flint

Always In The Kitchen At Parties - Jona Lewie

Muley Wrote:

> Honaloochie, how could you miss out William

> Shatners legendary version of 'Lucy In The Sky

> With Diamonds'?

this is pretty captivating too esp the part at 3:51 when the 3rd shatner comes out..classic