most captivating vocalists.......Ever

citizenED

I'm with Mockney on the female vocalist thing, but Ted Max has jogged my memory- John Martyn doing 'Couldn't Love You More' is a pinnacle of wobbly knee-ness. When the 'One World' album came out in '77, the midst of Punk, Peel played it in it's entirety.

Oh, and Eliza Carthy. Haunting voice, brilliant violinist.

Now that Trent is retiring NiN I hope he explores that "Hurt" side of things more than genero-industro-adolescent noise (which I like btw - I just which I was 15 again!!)

Another vocalist who works for me is Stuart Staples

As for women v men - as a general rule women singers have never had as much effect on me as blokes. Psychologists (and BBW) can read whatever they want into that...

An unknown.

A few years ago, I saw Jane Taylor, a singer/songwriter from Bristol, do a set at a little festival, and her voice drew me in.

She did a great EP, and has now done a couple of little albums, unfortunately however, she's leaning slightly towards jazz, which as we all know, is a load of w@nk. The EP was great though, and here is a (not great quality) vid clip of her singing one of the songs from that.

You young people won't remember him, but I was fortunate enough to see Roger Chapman (ex Family) at the Jazz Cafe in Camden a few weeks ago. He must be in his sixties, and has had a very full life, but he can still really sing.

EDOldie Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> You young people won't remember him, but I was

> fortunate enough to see Roger Chapman (ex Family)

> at the Jazz Cafe in Camden a few weeks ago. He

> must be in his sixties, and has had a very full

> life, but he can still really sing.

You've reminded to rebuy Music In A Doll's House EDO.

I'll get onto it this weekend.

I agree with Piers that it tends to be female vocalists who have this effect. Thus:

Candi Staton

Ann Peebles

Traci Chapman

Holly Palmer (with thanks to Sean for the introduction)

Billie Holiday

Aretha Franklin

But the odd fella who has given me goosebumps:

Will Oldham

Nick Drake

Otis Redding

It's an odd bunch, coming as it does from the top of a friday head, but here it is: for a few of them it's based on a single track, but sometimes a previously ordinary voice has a moment of genius

The Ladies

Amy Lee

Skin

Tori Amos

Eva Cassidy

Chantal Kreviazuk, as well as several other Country singers whose names I don't know

Sarah MacLaughlin (a bit American-girl-teen-pop, I admit, but still a beautiful voice)

Mary Beth Maziarz (ditto)

And The Gents

John Rzeznik (Goo Goo Dolls)

Trent Reznor

Chester Bennington (Linkin' Park)

Kurt Cobain

Jeff Buckley

Israel Kamakawiwo'ole, just for his version of Somewhere over the Rainbow (though a physically unpleasant looking individual...)

and here's the 2 that will get me ripped a new one...

Bono. He really has had his moments. It's the reason why he hasn't been beaten to death by a passing mob for being a complete arsehole.

Paul Macartney. A long and largely crap solo career, but Yesterday, Let It Be and Hey Jude will always be great.

Mary Margaret O'Hara

Margot Timmins (of Cowboy Junkies)

Joni Mitchell

Hazel O'Connor

Hope Sandoval (of Mazzy Star)

Nick Drake

Ray Lamontagne

Damian Rice (sometimes)

Antony Hegarty

Scott Walker

Neil Hannon

And the great Mr Cathal Coughlan has already been mentioned.

As has Skin.