most captivating vocalists.......Ever

citizenED

Green Gartside sang two songs at The Incredible String Band evening at The Barbican last sunday .... it was an evening of String Band music with Mike Heron and Clive Palmer ( ISB original members ) plus a troupe of friends which included Richard Thompson , Robyn Hitchcock , Alasdair Roberts and er .... Green Gartside of Scritti Polliti . He sang a song called God Dog ... and it was as if as soon as he sang the first note he had made the song his own , just like he had always sang it ... his voice was perfect for the song ... I would never have thought he was an ISB fan ... however he used to go to Martin Carthy gigs in the late 70s .

10 out of 10 for captivating vocals ...

oh yeah .... saw Peter Hammill at the QE Hall on the south bank in the 90s , he put the mic to one side and bellowed at the top of his lungs for one song ... I remember I was sat very near the back of the hall and I felt like I was pinned to the back wall of the theatre .

Muley Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Honaloochie, how could you miss out William

> Shatners legendary version of 'Lucy In The Sky

> With Diamonds'?

Because it didn't captivate me. Made me laugh. At it. But I wasn't moved or interested by it.

The ones I mentioned had a capacity to move/excite.

Me at least.

HB, Linton Kwesi Johnson would be a good addition to your non-singing list, I would say.

Brendan, not sure about Vedder/Pearl Jam. I guess one man's "captivating" is another man's "insincere angst". If we're gonna go with a singer from that whole scene/era, I'd go with Mark Lanegan.

Don't get me wrong keef, I love the Sundays, have everything they ever did.

Good songs, lovely kind of Englishness washes all over their stuff and she was elfin and cute, what's not to like. But her voice doesn't have power or amazing emotion, it is however perfect for what they do which is to relax and comfort you, hence the slippers.

Some people who haven't been listed so far, I think:-

Ella Fitzgerald

Maxi Jazz from Faithless

Prince

Funny, I've had to leave off some of my favourite singers as when it comes down to it their voices just aren't all that amazing.