what is it about clowns?

Alabama

What is it about clowns though? A colleague of mine is terrified of them, hates them, runs a mile from them. She had tickets to the latest Take That tour and had to give up her ticket when she discovered that theme was "Circus" and Gary Barlow was dressed as a clown. Funny, I know, but not for her.

I know that each clown has their face registered at the Variety Club, each face is painted on the shell of an egg and placed with them for safe keeping.

maybe they are more scary to adults or to kids?

maybe kids take them in their stride and are not particulatly disturbed by them ... but by the time we are adults we recognise how jarring and different they truly are, with their ridiculous clothes, trowelled-on make up, ghastly bright colours, funny hair, etc.

and that's why it was the adults of ED who were running around panicking and getting hysterical during the recent clown outbreak, rather than the kids who were the actual targets of the clowns >:D<

I've found as an adult I'm much more frightened of clowns than when I was a child. I think as Cassius said it is the make-up that does it for me. I don't like the thought of a 'painted on smile'. I find them inherently evil; something I didn't really notice as a child. I find the Pierrot clowns the most unsavoury.

• 2 weeks later...

Some of my best friends are clowns, believe me clowns have nightmares as well. The coin goes both ways on this one.

I would say if you new what we had to put up with on a daily basis, you would understand the need to hide behind the false face and also why the sadness underneath.

I could also say I had a fantastic game of cricket with some Ausie clowns last weekend, in switzerland. I'm sure it made great viewing for the swiss families walking passed. A very hard fought international 'clown Ashes'.

This from phobias-help.com:

One possible theory regarding the prevalence of clown phobia is as follows:

Because clowns have permanent exaggerated expressions painted on their faces ? usually of joy, but sometimes of sadness, it renders the observer impotent in measuring facial expression as a precursor of action. Therefore, those who are mindful of their environment, possibly due to past traumatic events, are unable to interpret and accordingly predict what this strange creature may do to them. This fear is heightened when we observe the ?happy clown? performing some aggressive behaviour, tripping someone or spraying water from an innocuous looking flower in the lapel.

It becomes too much to cope with and causes tremendous confusion and fear.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Warning: The Chair is in a bad mood and liable to throw this thread to the Lounge. To remind you, the original post was:

What is it about clowns that is so terrifying?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hey chair cheer up!! we are in the lounge no?? OH your just clowning with us!!

• Administrator

macroban Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Why has the "Chair" deleted its last post?

>

> A second bad move.

I stepped in and removed it because following (your subsequently edited) post it made no sense. Apologies if you think that as a bad move but as it was in the Drawing Room at the time but your post was off topic.

Now I really must get out the Lounge.