Lordship Lane 1994

Ah those were the days!

Chener books were still there in 1994 - same shop I think. Often bought a packet of cigs from the 7-11... I remember thinking it was amazing that it opened so late! There were a lot of properly useful shops back then, like the greengrocers, though the pubs were all dives. I remember witnessing trouble quite a few times in the foresters...

I think there might still have been another greengrocer as well as Smiths back in 1994. And there were two or more butchers at the lower end as well, but these may have folded in the late 80s. Sainsburys arrival in 1993(?) certainly did for a few shops on Lordship Lane.

I have lived here for 25 years. This thread certainly brings back the names of shops I had forgotten. Does anyone know what the unoccupied shop next to William Rose Butchers used to be? I seem to remember it was empty even in the days of the pine shop.

The excellent electrical shop, Edwards, once near the corner which is now home to Cafe Nero moved to Penge, by Homebase, I think.

• 4 months later...

Can we add shops from the library end of LL?

Sainsbury's Local - Big M car parts and accessories.

Post Office and Grocer - Mike O Deal.

Red Apple - Red Apple

Val's Grocers - Val's Grocers

Costcutter - Used to be an office.

Badger Bakery - Place Bakeries.

At the Grove Tavern end of LL.

Indicos Flowers - William Hill.

AM Express Dry Cleaning - AM Express Dry Cleaning.

Grove Fish Bar - Two Brothers Fish Bar & Kebab

Dulwich Grocers - Ekram and Co Accountants.

Jay Jalaram Newsagent - Jay Jalaram Newsagent

Streamline Motors - Demolished and now Topps Tiles part of Streamline Court.

Like Keef's mum, we always went to Dave's (butchers) on LL near the EDT. It was always fresh, he stocked some free range products and we were never overcharged (unlike W Rose). He was a happy chap with a huge personality & often threw in a few more bangers, chicken pieces etc. He hung in there for a year or so after Sainsbury's opened and then, lo and behold! he ended up working as a butcher in the Sainsbury's (but wasn't there for long). The small deli next to the pram shop was very well stocked and run by a woman and her Japanese husband (their daughter sometimes helped out). Very nice couple who had wonderful olives (even better than old Andreas across the road) and the best vegetable pie we have ever eaten and sadly we have never been able to find anything similar since their departure. The other Dave (and his tiny veg stand) was great. He supplied a few of the LL & SE London restaurants and his potatoes were used by Kennedy's Sausages. His dad had the stand before him so it had been there since the 50's/60's. Free Range up the other end of LL was a fabulous place for brunches and Sunday lunch. Such a homely and friendly atmosphere and really good meals owned and run by a lovely woman. Mr Ashwin Tanna of Tanna's Pharmacy (pre Day Lewis that moved to Melbourne Grove) retired recently and I vividly recall the launch of his London mayoral campaign in '99. These places & characters are sorely missed.

Going back maybe further than 94, the sports shop, FSL, fashion sports and lesuire!! No one remember that? Also steves tyres at the bottom of bawdale road, we also had a places bakers which i now think is the noodle shop, going back even further to when i was a kiddy, Sun Video! That was where the new indian is just along from William Rose. Sallsys the florest has always been there!

Dave the Butcher's was a classic visit during any weekend's shopping.

That alone is reason enough to hate the hell out of Sainsbury's, which decimated Lordship Lane and the side streets'. Sainsbury's opening meant that within a year or so you HAD to go there to get all your shopping in one visit because the fishmongers/butchers/grocers were deleted from ED.

Somerfield or the Coop's fish was pretty poor in the 90's though reasonable for other items, including meat. If you wanted proper fish, you went to the family run Sopers in Nunhead, also open on Sunday mornings. You could order anything from them: eels, turbot, hake, huge prawns at not exorbitant prices. I sold up and left ED (and London) in 2003 after 16 memorable years living in the red house at the end of East Dulwich road overlooking Goose Green. I went back for the first time last year and was staggered at the changes, mostly for the better: new delis, bars etc. A 'White Stuff' no less. Extraordinary. Still trying to get my head around the Lord Palmerston being a gastro pub when it always used to be hard, spit and sawdust kind of a place. And as for the Foresters, now that used to be really tough. The barber in Northcross Rd who cut my hair (erratically) and who had been there since the 50's remembers when the place was frequented by the Krays and the Richardson gangs. He also remembered the V1 rocket that hit the Lordship Lane Coop killing 40 people in 1944. I watched a programme about Camberwell Grove last night on BBC2 - East Dulwich would make an equally interesting topic.

see: www.flyingbombsandrockets.com

What a trip down memory lane. Lived here since 1972, so seen it change so much. What about dulwich village ...do you fancy doing the shops there. Rememnbr the dulwich steak house where cafe rouge is? The toy shop where the post office is? The tuck shop was the romeo jones ? Interiors fancis jevons was the groom room. There was a travel agent at pizza express and an antique shop too i think?

Any other memories?

Yes, remember Romeo Jones was a tuck shop for me and sisters and friends on the way home from school. This was during the late 70s.

Walked home from Kingsdale School a lot and would always go in here for a bag of sweets.

I think that this may have come up before, but the shop next to Wm Rose has been empty for at least 25 years (since we first moved into the area). Does anyone know when it last functioned as a shop and what kind of shop it was? It seems surprising that nobody has tried to reopen it in more recent times, especially as it is next to a thriving butchers shop. Possibly there is an absentee landlord who is unaware of how much the area has changed in the last few years.