Lordship Lane 1994

Thanks, Jeremy. Delving further into the canyons of my mind (thanks Bonzo Dogs), I seem to remember (possibly from another post on this Forum) that the person who lives in the upstairs flat owns the whole premises and doesn't want to make any changes - they have therefore left the shop empty. Can anyone shed any further light on this?

Wasn't the W. Rose site an underwear shop in more recent times? The window displays were sometimes quite 'adult', not XXX mind you and more Ann Summers than Agent Provocateur. I recall male mannequins in tight, striped, ribbed, cotton boxers in the window. T'was never open, not each time I walked past anyway. Very odd.

• 6 months later...
the continuing dereliction and emptiness of what used to victoria wine (apart from a brief excursion into cannabis farming!!) is as puzzling as it is unwelcome. apparently, owner of the freehold is now very old, but I am told still insists that it can only be an off licence and that the manager must live in the flat above. the lease is owned by (I think) punch taverns who find it cheaper to continue to leave it empty and just run down the lease. it is a great shame because, even in these tough times, many would like to take over a retail business in such a prime spot.

Planetsally Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The Foxton's site was the DSS office but was by

> then rebranded and called the "Benefits Agency"

> and there was an "Employment

> Services"(Jobcentre)along where Haart estate

> agents is. I'm sure there was a Woolwich building

> society there as well at the time.

Yes there was, Woolwich was acquired by Barclays and they closed I think it was 08/09 with Woolwich products now being sold at Barclays.

William Hill and Haart were all part of Dulwich Jobcentre before they were turned into two separate retail outlets.

• 2 months later...

Louisa Wrote:

> Does anyone remember the old arts and crafts shop

> opposite what was then Gateway and next door to

> Yilmaz Kebab?

>

> Louisa.

Yes, bought a few make it yourself balsa wood model planes from there when I was a kid.

matthew123 Wrote:

> ..and East Dulwich Police station used to be an

> M&S

What year was this - I've lived in ED over 30 years and cannot recall an M&S.... interesting

Bushell?........

Sugar was a video shop called Dusaras and then a Barber shop..

Dulwich cafe was Starburger and before that - an amazing steak house....

• 3 years later...
Thanks reg for giving me a rush of blood before the big it was Tivoli amusements and before that keabeech amusements. Oddonos was Sally's florist cave Bruno was a fire place salvage shop run by Bob before Mrs Robinson's it was a baby's clothes shop and before that also fires and surrounds the second hand car place was next to edt ibought a second hand mark 4 cortina in canary yellow before William rose it was womens undercrackers and before that bespoke windows the sports shop was fsshion sport and leisure this was made smaller to accommodate a mobile phone shop this is now jazzes barbers the coop was at first a Kwik save

Co-op was Somerfield and before that Gateway. Fabric was a dry cleaner and I think before that a TV shop. There was a fancy Thai restaurant on Melbourne Grove called Thai Pavilion - and the clothes and toy shop mentioned above where Property In is was Hey Diddle Diddle that later turned into Soup Dragon and moved over the road, with yoga classes etc above it.

Target Arms also sold antique (back to early 19c. militaria) and uniforms (and antique oriental weapons, not 'samaurai replica' - much of their stock was not WWII or related. But, in terms of sheer volume, there is a lot of WWII stuff about, so it's not surprising they stocked quite a lot of that.