Lordship Lane 1994

Just looking round the old place and realise that:

Bought my wardrobe and bedroom drawers from the shop where William Rose is. It was a kind of furniture / knick knack shop run by a big chap with blonde hair.

Bought my living room mirror from Walsh's Glaziers which as mentioned, is now White Stuff

Bathroom furnishings supplied by Bells of course

Net curtains run up by the curtain shop on the corner which became an Estate Agent ?

The mens outfitters was a bit 'suits you sir', but a chap could still get a pair of tan Farah slacks in there on a Friday afternoon

The other shop that's been here forever is the Shoe Shop (Banhams ?) next to what was the 'Get Stuffed' Cafe

Bengal Bicycle was once called 'Curry In A Hurry'

This was all around 94, when I first settled in these parts. However, stand to be corrected

Reg Smeeton Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> And some questions:

> - was the previous occupant of Moxons Jerk Rock

> (and since Jerk Rock only lasted a few years, what

> was there before it)?

Actually, Mrs Robinson "boutique" is the former Jerk Rock site.

Can't help you regarding the previous occupant though.

We moved into E Dulwich from kennington in 1991 because of the property crash and couldn't sell our flat which should have netted us a fortune. We arrived with a new 6 month baby and were a bit stunned because Lordship Lane was fairly grotty. You could say, with reason, that we were the forerunners of the bugaboo tribe and we did feel we were conquering a real sunburban outpost. It was six months before DKH Sainsburys opened and a lot of the shops in LL were closing. There were, I think 4 - 6 butchers in LL and Northcross Road at that time and they eventually all shut. Thank goodness, as they were horrible - nasty meat that you would go veggie rather than avoid. It was a shame however that the green grocers down the bottom of LL shut - I think wehere the ED deli is now. Fab, market-style shop with everything on the pavement so people could hardly get past, although no one complained. Re the list of shops above:Hey Diddle Diddle was run by a fantastic woman, who did maternity bras and had an amazing 2nd hand clothes line with very expensive stuff (where did it come from? it seemed like Chelsea and Kensington. She moved to the Soup Dragon and started the altenative health care centre in the rooms above. Not sure what happened to her, but she was a great support to mums in the early 90's. Nicolas was the site of the early Chandelier which then expanded/moved up the road to become LeChandelier. It was rune by a great guy who really knew his french furniture and sold us some lovely pieces at reasonable prices over the years. He then, I think sold out to the cafe - which has retained his style. Mre Robinson was, in an early incarnation "The Family Tree", which was up and running when we moved in with two tinies in 1991/2. I bought some gorgeous handmade dresses etc for my baby daughter, the like of which I have not see since (matching gingham bloomers and mob caps for little beach babies - sweet). This store and Free range was one of the first signs of gentrifcation in the early nineties...and look where it has led... Long live the Bugaboo tribe, they turn in to the 40/50 stalwart generation (and whose children) support and love ED for everything it has provided us with and all the fun it has given. Good thread!

Just to add: SOund and vision to took over from Darrah arts which was a picture framing business run by an Irish guy and his wife who did a roaring trade - not sure why they sold out. The lady's dress shop don LL, south of SMBS was called PARTY and was fantastic with cheapish clothes (probably all made in China/India) that fitted everyone and looked fantastic and didn't cost very much. Quite a different sort of thing from the (great) women's clothes shops we have now.

Glad to hear that someone remembered Hilary (Hey Diddle Diddle's) name. Hope you are well and thriving.

TJ Wrote:

> Now can we have a vote on who would want to live

> in ED in 1994 vs those who would today?! ;-)

In all honesty, I'd go for a mix of the two. Some things are definitely better, but there are places and people I'd happily do without.

i remember the edt being in two halves, with a connecting door between the two. the joint itself was as rough as sandpaper. still the comedy club upstairs was a beacon, still hold fond memories of the charity night for one of the local schools which ended up with malcolm hardie and two others on stage doing the balloon dance. very funny but not a pretty sight.

as keef points out the video shop opposite the edt, owned by geoff which went bust probably follwing an ill-advised venture trying to turn the old casablanca into a bar/restaurant.

JetSetWilly Wrote:

> i remember the edt being in two halves, with a

> connecting door between the two. the joint itself

> was as rough as sandpaper. still the comedy club

> upstairs was a beacon, still hold fond memories of

> the charity night for one of the local schools

> which ended up with malcolm hardie and two others

> on stage doing the balloon dance. very funny but

> not a pretty sight.

>

> as keef points out the video shop opposite the

> edt, owned by geoff which went bust probably

> follwing an ill-advised venture trying to turn the

> old casablanca into a bar/restaurant.

The Oglander Brothers were one of the pool teams.

Celebrated the first day of all day opening in there - er, all day as I recall

ratty Wrote:

> I moved to Bellenden from Pompey in 1994 (Well

> Lyndhurst Grove actually). I am sure I remember

> Lordship Lane having a StarBurger somewhere. ??

East Dulwich Cafe (next to the palmerston) was Starburger if memory serves.

Keef Wrote:

> ratty Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I moved to Bellenden from Pompey in 1994 (Well

> > Lyndhurst Grove actually). I am sure I remember

> > Lordship Lane having a StarBurger somewhere. ??

>

>

> East Dulwich Cafe (next to the palmerston) was

> Starburger if memory serves.

I bloody knew it! That'd be about the right place too. I remember back in 1994 I was seeing these two birds at the same time. I was walking down LL with one of them when the other came round the corner with her mates, so I dived into Starburger, dragging the 1st one with me!

I've incorporate most if not all of the changes/additions people have been adding in recent days. There are still errors and gaps, but it's beginning to build a good picture of LL just before the face of ED really began to change. As ???? said, 1994/5 seems to have been the start of the big changes, though the arrival of Sainsbury a couple of years earlier (which forced several oldies to close) was also a big factor.

It's funny, I have a gap from 1996-2001 when I lived in Liverpool, and did notice a big change when I came home.

However, I'd say an even bigger change has happened since then. The EDT had just become "trendy", and was packed on Friday and Saturday nights. Then The Vale opened, and was very popular for a year or two as a later night venue (well 2am). But the likes of The Bishop, the Cherry, Green & Blue etc opening have really changed the place.

Keef Wrote:

> It's funny, I have a gap from 1996-2001 when I

> lived in Liverpool, and did notice a big change

> when I came home.

>

> However, I'd say an even bigger change has

> happened since then. The EDT had just become

> "trendy", and was packed on Friday and Saturday

> nights. Then The Vale opened, and was very popular

> for a year or two as a later night venue (well

> 2am). But the likes of The Bishop, the Cherry,

> Green & Blue etc opening have really changed the

> place.

Yes, I see what you mean Keef. This is all very subjective, but I'm sure my reaction to most of the changes in the late 90s was really positive (they felt like "my" East Dulwich), then in more recent years shops and restaurants began to appear that didn't feel so inclusive, with Foxtons the ultimate expression of this. Lots of good additions in the last five years too, though.

• 2 weeks later...

In 15 years from now you can get even clearer.

I have created a print of LL in 2009. Shows all the shops and business from goose green to northcross. Have a look on my link in for sale section. Limited Edition print.... Captures the memories present and future.