Lordship Lane 1994

Yes Reg you're right. The owners had twins the same age as my daughter , now coming up to 16. She was born in January 1994 which is why I like this thread; no-one was up and down Lordship Lane more than me as I was enjoying my maternity leave.

I wonder why Weston's closed? I think it was considered quite expensive at the time.

Remeber The Forresters (Now the Bishop) and the Green Grocer next door? - if only they had been able to hang on a bit longer they would have been making a fortune now. I cant remember the name of the gorgeous blonde girl who used to work there but I remember her fingerless gloves!

• 3 months later...

Surma was Surma (opened in 70s?)

Curry Cabin was Curry Cabin

and I think the Chinese on the corner was there too.

Chenner Books also. I think at one point Chenner was using the shop next door (subsequently became bookies) but that might have been earlier. Or that might be a figment of my imagination/the owner talking about doing that. All a bit fuzzy now.

The estate agent at the roundabout (98 Grove Vale) has been there for donkey's years, but used to be White Dent. Not sure when the name changed.

Down Northcross Rd there used to be a takeaway / curry house, I can't remember the name but it was run by a little friendly Indian (subcontinent) guy called Farouk. It wa spoistioned approx. where the Drum was. As it got late (after pub closing) you could order your food and sit down until very late ie. 2-3 am, I think he'd sort you out with a beer too, so it was a kind of late night drinking option.

He was a character I think he got done by the VAT and had to borrow all the furniture (rather than buy it) so that when he got busted they couldn't remove those chattels. There was a cobbler a coupel of doors away too, lovely (I think) Cypriot chap.

Star of India - The chap Farouk, later worked at the Indian Restaurant by the roundabout at Goose Green, but 3 or so years ago I heard he'd retired with sickness, some kind of debilitating illness like ME. Shame, he had a large family I think. ED was a different place then IMO, bit more 'basic' one might say.

Thanks for the heads up on Farouk sorry to hear about his illness,yes ED was a bit quieter back in those days but its no good trying to live in the past ED has moved on upwards and forwards to the future, but you could get a pint for 30 bob back then.

Bob S