Dulwich Baths - refurbishment timetable

EDmummy

Can I just ask Julie how the repatriation of swim schools is going to be managed? (If you are who I think you are you will remember me as being a very disgruntled mum when we were moved to Peckham for childrens swim classes)

It would be good if this can be managed pre emptively this time and lists of people were collated etc. Also, do you have staff for swim schools sorted and who will be in charge? Is there anyway that they can be present at Peckham on the weeks prior to move to ensure that all people are aware of dates, allocation of new classes etc?

All of these things would lead to us all having a much more positive view of the delays and inconvenience of traipsing to Peckham every week for the last 15 or so months...

Good luck with it all and I hope that a few of our suggestions can be put in place

Can we have lots of large signs explaining to children do not pee in the pool use the toilets before entering.

and some other large notices telling the adult users to shower before entering as it pollutes the pool.

Swimming hats must be used would be more useful than the no cameras or photography.

When my two learned they (the course runners at Alleynes) ran a video so they could see where they were going wrong and it improved their stroke.

Just been told that Camberwell Baths reopening has slipped by 4 months to Feb 2011. It closed November 2009 and was due to open this Autumn. Reason given is that extra ?200,000 added in May to ?3M budget which sounds implausible reason to add 4 months delay. Can't be bad weather. No vandalism or burglary. Inexplicable.

The good news is that the extra ?200,000 allocated to the project means we can now make additional improvements to the baths, including to the male and female changing areas, the pool hall, the windows and the roof. The leisure centre will now open in February 2011. It makes more sense, and is more cost effective, to carry out these works now rather than cause disruption by returning to do the work at a later date.

Find out more about the improvements to leisure centres on our website:

www.southwark.gov.uk/info/200229/investing_in_leisure/1391/camberwell_leisure_centre

Hi Southwark Council,

Not sure why you've given an update about Camberwell Baths on the EDF on a thread about Dulwich Baths.

The ?200,000 sum was announced in May added to the previous ?3M and now in August it's been announved this ?200,000 has caused four months delay to the reopening. Does not compute for me but hay ho at least we know that one will now reopen in February (ish).

• 3 weeks later...

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi Southwark Council,

> Not sure why you've given an update about

> Camberwell Baths on the EDF on a thread about

> Dulwich Baths.

> The ?200,000 sum was announced in May added to the

> previous ?3M and now in August it's been announved

> this ?200,000 has caused four months delay to the

> reopening. Does not compute for me but hay ho at

> least we know that one will now reopen in February

> (ish).

I think they were responding to your earlier post about Camberwell swimming pool - maybe its you James, that's muddied the waters. Can someone with the correct information confirm the planned opening date for Dulwich PLEASE?

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I've just been told by council officers that the

> new reception area and pool will open the weekend

> 25/26 September. Sneak preview for councillors,

> etc 23 September. Frustrating that its slipped a

> week in a week, but guess this is worknig out the

> final timetable and frankly just relieved it now

> booked.

> Get you cossie's and towerls ready East Dulwich.

Here's where I got the September date for Dulwich from...

Ok, I know I asked this already but got no reply.... what is going to happen about getting the swim schools back to Dulwich??? At the moment they are being held at Peckham with Peckham and Camberwell classes but they no longer seem to keep the children seperated, they have all merged.

The staff there know nothing about what is happening (my husband asked this morning) and its two weeks until they open. PLEASE someone communicate with us