The guy in the fabric shop

cherryred

Dear Moos,

I presume you are referring to me. I dug up the old threads so that the op could see that they were not alone in this discussion. I did not dig them up so people could laugh although if you have a service on the high street but lack complete customer service and/or act in a bizarre manner towards your supposed clients, some people might find it amusing. Perhaps some new posters aren't aware of the 'search' function also. Do we not discuss businesses on this forum, good and bad?

This is the second time you've had a go at me and I find it slightly irritating. Time to relax honey.

Best,

-C

Time to relax? I thought I was the one suggesting we should play nice?

Did I in any way stop you from expressing your opinion - no. I just expressed mine. I really don't mind if you don't like it.

If this is the problem, I have no issue with you personally, and hadn't registered that you were the person doing the digging. I stand by what I said. You may have brought up the old threads with the best of intentions, but the responses to your post I think bear out my comment.

My experience with this person is just that - my experience. I think people are inclined to post only when they have an extreme experience, which is a shame.

Moos

I think you are being a bit harsh there

I know its' annoying when threads reappear, but when I post a link to an existing thread when this happens, it's usually to point out to people BEFORE they all go through the same litany, that they might want to see what others have said already. ie I'm not doing it to add fuel to the fire and I doubt candj is either

I don't raise the point to have a go at candj, although I can see that she would interpret it that way so I do apologise if that's how it seems.

I just think that criticism of a business has its time. I don't think it's fair to keep re-raising old points and discussing them multiple times, as though they were new - particularly when they are so extreme. The effect is that someone's business is getting hit multiple times for the same mistake.

This guy was extremely rude and horrible to me a few years ago but I recently thought I'd give the shop another go, and was amazed at how rude and unhelpful he still is. He has stayed outside the shop chatting to people or on the phone while ignoring me looking for something inside, and has also told me grumpily that he will move rolls of fabric so I can look through them, and when I said no need, I can see enough he said 'I'm moving them anyway'! even more grumpily. He's remarkable, and Ive decided not to bother with the shop again. Sounds like most people find him difficult. I wonder how he's stayed in business!

I think I've had a run in with this bloke...was standing outside his shop having a chat with a mate after heading towards each other on LL and he was clearly having some sort of delivery. The driver was filling in a form for him to sign and he just yelled 'MOVE' in our general direction. At first we didn't think he was talking to us, but when he followed it up with 'Oi! Can't you hear?' we told him where to go! We couldn't quite believe our ears!!

I think the guy is selective when it comes to being polite. He has never been rude to me, but I do think he is a rude man. I witnessed him making a rather racist remark as a woman left the shop. I was a little shocked that he was so outspoken & presumed I would share his opinion just because I am white.

Perhaps he doesn't like stuck up people & those of colour.

He was very attentive to me when I was picking blinds fabric until I mentioned that I was going to make the blinds myself and then he just ignored me. Presumably because he wouldn't make as much money as he thought he was going to out of me. I never went back to order my fabric because he annoyed me. He needs to go on a customer service course, he's obviously losing a lot of trade!

curlykaren Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> FFS Moos, If, on yet another, night in alone with

> my ten month old baby, I want to amuse myself by

> reading some old threads on the forum, I jolly

> well will do. The fact you choose to criticise it

> just makes you look like a bah-humbug idiot.

CK I really don't think it necessary to talk about Moos in that way she really is an adorable and fair/lovely forumite...in my opinion...

CK that kind of attitude is rather contradictory dont you think?

Play nicely or leave such comments out of it.

Back on topic...

Are there any other people who have had an okay experience with the "guy" in question?

Seems to me his humour, whether you get or not, is just the way he is and he must be doing well enough to still be trading... just a thought like.

when my husband and I were looking to have a chair reupholstered he was pretty pleasant and came out to our flat to check out the chair in question. Even when it was apparent it was not salvage-able. Month later we were looking for fabric to recover some chair seats and he was all right, if a bit scattered.

I have friends who he's been miserable to when they were shopping for small items or asking for things he doesn't carry. He isn't an easy person to do business with and I can easily see how he would rub some the wrong way, especially if he's in a mood

The guy in Fabric is a character. He's got a way of doing things / saying things. He'd done nice curtains and blinds for us and goes out of his way to be helpful (he delivered some bits I needed for a curtain rail to my house when passing and refused to take any money for them). He also charms the pants off (not literally) some of the female customers that come in and they find him delightful (from what I've seen when in the shop).

However, I think he can also be brusque and off-hand if he can't be bothered so I can understand why some people might not take to him. Characters always polarise opinion.

As with everything, I suppose the only way to deal with his shop is to go if you want good curtains / blinds but don't go if he's been rude to you when you were last in.

I'm absolutely amazed at these posts - fabric shop man has always been lovely to me whenever I've been in there. Furthermore, he has gone out of his way to make me feel safe when I felt threatened on a couple of occasions. He even offered me a cup of tea when I went in there one time! He's lovely!

Maybe there are two of them...... identical twins, bad fabric man and good fabric man! ;-)

Must admit have never been to his shop and recently had a very large (and surprisingly expensive)made to measure blind made by Laura Ashley rather than go to his shop after his behaviour towards my friend. This split personality thing can't be good for business!!