Mick Mac

dulwichmum Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Mic Mac,

>

> How dare you refer to Monica's husband as "a right

> tosser." You have gone too far this time, I am

> reporting you to admin.

So now you are attacking my Husband, I have just spoken to admin. This has gone too far.

Administrator Wrote:

> Please refrain from making personal attacks on

> each other on the forum, they will not be

> tolerated.

If this is aimed at me, I don't think its justified. Monica has been taking a hammering on this thread for days with no intevention.

I disagree. With the title being what it is, it was bound to expand it's horizons beyond simply child abuse particularly in the context of the church's involvement in it. Mick's opening post made sure of that. Where it went after that was fairly predictable with both pro and anti church having their say.

How could this be kept 'on topic' when there was/is so much to write about it,without censorship of people's views? The only question is if anyone stepped beyond the boundary of what is acceptable to post on here. To my knowledge only one post has been removed because it was considered to be unacceptable.

giggirl Wrote:

> Child abuse - Ireland's Catholic shame

>

> That is the title of this thread and I think

> people need reminding of that. If it can't stay

> on topic then admin should lock the thread.

seconded.

Declan Wrote:

> I disagree. With the title being what it is, it

> was bound to expand it's horizons beyond simply

> child abuse particularly in the context of the

> church's involvement in it.

Good point Declan. I expected all people would of course be abhorred by the issue. Of course we all are. But I started the thread with great anger against the catholic church, a church that I had long ago left behind and one I really have a dislike for.

What I did not expect was that due to the route taken by the debate, I myself would end up trying to defend a pro catholic against a non catholic. And I found out a lot about people during the debate.

Its best for a thread to drift off topic from time to time. It allows people to express themselves and show their true colours.

I didn't think a thread could drift off-topic in the lounge!

Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression, Acceptance.

Where do you think the faithful are on this? Poor old Monica wnet through Denial swiftly, and her protest against DM is right hot in stage 2.

Anger, in its many guises, is designed to shut down the messenger. Doesn't change the message though. Head, pudding, snorting.

BTW, Declan's spot on, JL and GG you just don't like to see people upset - but that doesn't mean you can 'shut down the thread'. Little Jimmy's been eating worms, and it won't go away becuase we don't talk about it.

I just want to say that this is not a theoretical topic for many who might be reading this thread. Many people have suffered abuse at the hands of the Cathoilc church and sensitivity to the pain they still feel at the horrors they or people they love, endured should be shown.

The full horror will probably never come to light as there were many people who seem to have acted like nazi collaborators, in that they did nothing or even joined in the abuse of people targetted.

I understand that people have faith in the Catholic church and that should be respected, but they also need to understand the damage caused to thousands of children by the institution they have faith in.

Don't let denial of what happened perpetuate the pain of the abused.

I think we all agree that Legal. Absolutely.

But just in case you think otherwise, I don't think there has been any denial, by anyone, on this trhead, of the events that were mentioned in the OP.

I'm just saying this to make sure that noone is unintentionally misrepresented. Not to start the thread rolling again.

Good thread this. Monica makes an important point, which i disagree with almost entirely. I don't think anyone owes anyone else's views "respect". In fact the demand by some for respect for their views has a chilling impact on free discourse ( i have no respect for people's religious views). That said, I think we do owe one another, even on a private forum such as this, a level of respect as individuals. It's important to play the ball, not the person.

Declan Wrote:

> huncamunca Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Irish abortion bother 2.0

>

> Have you no comment to make as to why you put this

> article in this thread or were you just hoping to

> stir things up?

No, I have better things to do than stir it up!

But it is an interesting side issue to the influence of religious belief within the free state - not that this will be news to you I think.

• 2 weeks later...
'Dulwich Mum' should be reported to 'Admin' if anyone should. What crass, revolting snobbery. Scarcely anyone can afford a house in Alleyn Park yet she thinks the presence of a state school - a highly regarded one at that - sends house prices tumbling.