Cat owners, be alert.

singalto

Latest update from SNARL

South Norwood Animal Rescue and Liberty - SNARL

47 mins ?

Hi everyone and welcome to those of you new to this page. Only two of us run this page due to the investigation going on and we are finding it increasingly difficult to respond to people who ask the same questions.

This in turn must make it difficult for those of you new to the page who have genuine questions as both we and our longer term followers show our frustration. So this post will attempt to answer them for you:

(1) post mortems have shown that beyond a doubt, the mutilations are being carried out by a human being with a bladed instrument. There is absolutely, categorically no doubt about this. It is not dogs, cats or foxes causing these injuries.

(2) post mortem results also show that mutilations appear to be the work of one person. Furthermore, there are a number of details we have not released so if we do get anyone evil enough to try and copy these murders, we will know about it.

(3) cases confirmed by post mortem beyond a doubt include cats and at least one fox. Strong anecdotal evidence suggests that rabbits, foxes and puppies have historically also been victims. Currently the head of a small dog is with the team for veterinary examination to see whether the injury sustained is human related or post death animal predation.

(4) the police in Croydon are running a comprehensive and solid investigation. We are sorry if historically cases haven't been managed in the right way but every experience we have had to date of the team currently involved has been positive.

(5) we would not encourage people to set up patrols for the simple reason that the area between known attacks is too big to be effective. Moreover, the murderer is armed with a bladed weapon.

You wouldn't try and apprehend a human serial killer, so please do not try and do this for a serial killer of animals. Not only would you be putting yourself at risk of serious physical harm but you may well blunder into a police surveillance operation and fuck it up.

Personally after six months of putting our reputation, livelihoods and every bit of our time into this, we would not forgive someone doing this.

Please leave this to the professionals to handle. If you want to be of good practical help, regularly share our pinned post and if you are physically able, send us your email address by pm to join our leafletting team.

(6) despite the press continuing to refer to the cat killer as the "Croydon Cat Killer", this person is not just operating in Croydon but in an area from Luton down to Hampshire and Surrey and from Bedfont across east to Stepney and Tottenham Hale. Please don't think your cat is safe to let out at night just because you don't live in one of the areas targetted.

(7) there is a huge amount of work being done behind the scenes. We are not prepared to comment on that work at any point. If you really feel that we are trying to hoax people then do yourself a favour and Google the latest local press where you will see the police confirm that they are investigating.

• 3 weeks later...
Whoever is doing this seems to be covering a lot of ground so must have some kind of transport. Has anything been caught on CCTV at any of the crime scenes? The perpetrator is obviously a sick individual with a grudge of some kind or perhaps just a bloodlust. I find it strange that this person is able to leave the mutilated animals at or near to the home of the owners. What does that tell us, that he/she knows the cat and its owner? I find that hard to believe as most cats I see running around the area and know by sight I wouldn't have a clue where they lived or who owned them. I just hope this person is caught soon as it's a very sick game they are playing - I'm certain they will slip up at some point.

Savvy girl, my cats have my address on their collars. The 18 year old cat that was killed may have been sitting on the door step. The ED victim came from Rodwell rd but was found in Silvester rd. This has been going on for over two years and there have been more than 60 victims. Horrible.

It appears that the cats are being returned to the area that they have been taken from. Does any one know if the rod well road cat was reported to snarl as its not appearing on their list of reported cases. There was also rumours about a cat in Peckham a few weeks ago but that's not on the list either. If you know anyone that has found any animal that has suffered what looks like a knife injury you are urged to call snarl on 07957 830 490 even if it is historic, they are working with the police on this, any shred of info is very important to this case.

Oh gosh, this is horrendous. Just moved back into ED with our cat. Certainly won't be letting her out at night.

Does anyone know if it happens at night only?

It's hard not to think about a patrol to stop this person but as they are armed it wouldn't be so wise. People that treat animals this way are disgusting!

I still see local cats out at night. I don't know whose cats they are so I can't suggest to their owners that they are kept in after dark. Please can everyone try to ensure that neighbours with pets are aware of what is happening.

• 4 weeks later...