Snow watch

dbboy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> James, thanks, but it's a bit like closing teh

> door after teh horse has bolted. This problem

> should not have re- arisen, it wasn't as though

> they weren't aware of it.

Didn't we have this same question earlier this year? And wasn't the answer that there's no point gritting while it's above freezing or when the snow's still falling, otherwise the grit just ends up under the ice?

If so, both still apply. As for warnings, the Met Office has been sending out imprecise alerts for over a week, predicting snow would arrive at any time from the Sunday before last. As in February, they finally got the time right to within half a day only after the snow had started falling. If the council had paid any attention, we'd have no grit left and only blocked drains to show for it.

Burbage Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

As in February,

> they finally got the time right to within half a

> day only after the snow had started falling. If

> the council had paid any attention, we'd have no

> grit left and only blocked drains to show for it.

xxxxxxx

That's a fair point

All I can say is do not take what sation staff have to say as being accurate. It's not their fault of course but they just have no idea what's going on. Last night at Shoreditch Highstreet around 6.30pm, I was told by a very friendly member of tfl staff that there was no Overground service to Forest Hill that evening due to an accident and that all trains were terminating at either New Cross or New Cross Gate. He even scribbled said info onto the information board. A minute or so later, I caught the train to Forest Hill.

And again this morning. A member of Southern staff anounced at ED station that myself and all the other people waiting for trains were all 'wasting our time'. His advice was to find alternative transport or take a 'snow day' as he had no idea when the next train was and one hadn't gone past in at least half an hour. I caught the train to London Bridge within the next minute or so.

Now, today and yesterday I chose to take direction from the info sscreens rather than the staff, which this week paid off. Last year I wish I'd done the opposite.

I am at work in East London so I'm hoping that I will be able to get home at a reasonable hour!

We've cleared around 1/6 of the pavements on our road (I did a small section) and have now nearly run out of sand/grit. Have just called the council to get the grit bin refilled, and asked the chaps to check other nearby bins while they are here.

I think our plan is to do one side of the road only, 'cos it's just too much work otherwise. Could do with more help, but of course many people are out at work until after dark.

Our road is really icy, and cars on the steep bits haven't got a chance of getting out - wheels just spinning on steep slope - but I don't think there's any possibility of clearing the roadway of snow/ice manually.

I was out in my mountain hiking boots too... Made a lot more progress than the cars up here!