East Dulwich Councillors - useless (?)

DG

Richard Thomas

Liberal Democrat

James Barber

Liberal Democrat

Jonathan Mitchell

Liberal Democrat

I've written twice to all three now, via the write to them website, about my concerns about cars parking on yellow zig zags outside my son's school.

I haven't had the courtesy of a reply.

Is this typical? It's very disappointing! Can someone tell me how to contact the Leader of the Libdems?

I thought they were supposed to be community focussed!

I've complained about cars on the yellow zig zags outside St John's and St Clement's before. Usually results in a token traffic warden for one morning, then back to business as usual the day after.

Richard Thomas has been good in the past at replying to emails though.

My daughter has just started at St John's and I too have noticed the number of parents that ignore the yellow zig zags - it's so annoying, and dangerous. Maybe we should have a word or write to the Head and she could send out a reminder to parents about not parking on them (don't know if this has already been done or not). Jo

I'm not surprised to learn you haven't had any response from Richard Thomas. We contacted him several times about a problem with our Council Tax, asking him to help. He had no interest in the matter and made no effort to assist, advise or resolve things. The query probably wasn't exciting enough for him to bother with, but it certainly told me a lot about the standard of Cllrs we have here in Dulwich.

Disappointing that you haven't heard back. Something should be done about people parking on the zig zags. I have to say that I've always had a good reply from the councillors. Once I did not hear back and I e-mailed again, and the councillor replied straightaway.

I normally contact Jonathan Micthell or Richard Thomas - both have been very helpful and certainly more helpful than when I've tried to contact Tessa Jowell. I'm not a lib-dem and don't really follow what their policies are about, but on the local councillor level they have been good.

Rich. Your Councillors run the Borough - Richard Thomas has access to the big pots of cash and your Leisure Centre is fully funded for refurb. Sure, they miss the odd school line issue but you've hardly room to complain.

Poor us in *******well have no power, no access, no money.

"Previous councillor, Sarah Welfare, was very good."

That was my view and experience too.

ED turned Lib Dems at the last election and I've been a bit disappointed how quiet they seem to have been on local and community issues. Perhaps they think they've got ED sown up now with the recent demographic changes in the area.

It;s Heber. I contacted all three councillors, twice, 10n days apart.. so there really is no excuse for no reply from any of them!

I also contacted the police and they have had police there a couple of days.

But as traffic wardens coem down to the council, a reply from the councillors would be nice. Won't be voting for them, that's for sure. Obviously have other things of interest, rather than the concenrns of us ED denizens!!

DG

The ward councillors are not useless. but we're not infallible either! I've checked my emails and I can't find anything but that?s not to say I didn''t delete it by mistake. who knows, it could even be that the technology has gone wrong.

Please do get in touch directly by e-mailing [email protected] and I'll see what I can do. or you can call me on 020 7525 7367.

Between us we help hundreds of people a year, so I am pleased that most people seem to have a good experience. we'll continue to keep trying to improve.

Useless (?)

As one of the unsuccessful Labour candidates in East Dulwich I will refrain from smirking. The voters decided to elect three councillors who did not live in the ward rather than three who did. At least they could have knocked on our doors!

I was previously a senior councillor and hence can appreciate that Richard Thomas will find it difficult to do both a Senior Executive post and ordinary ward work. But it is what gets you re-elected!

This does not excuse the other two Lib Dems. who for Richards sake should be taking on more of a burden. I hope they are not losing interest!

On the subject of zig-zags I have taken this up at another school where I am a Governor. I started by photographing the offending parents. But the headteacher was terrified! She said at a previous school she had received physical abuse.

I would suggest a three week plan carried our by parents and governors in cooperation with the local traffic wardens. The Council could coordinate this for all schools.

Week 1 all children are given a leaflet to take home and also parents give leaflets to offending cars.

Week 2 Traffic Wardens are there to 'advise' cars.

Week 3 Traffic Wardens issue tickets.

It is amazing how each parent will jeopadise the safety of other childrens on this "just be there for a few tics" basis. But of course it adds up and statistically someday there will be a tragedy.

Richard is a very good councillor and he responds quickly,i understand people will get frustrated.We had lots of contact with sarah welfare before she left and shes also expecting a baby,and like richard she admits to being human,but she did her best,like richard does.

Jonathon mitchell is a sweet guy and also very helpful.