Is it me but most of the people that work in the shops in East Dulwich are not friendly. (Lounged)

The Rafester

Also in my good books are Vals grocers near Badger Bakery, Dulwich DIY, Cheers offie, G&B, William Rose (already mentioned by Rafester), Moxons, Cheese Block (yep, even tho some people no likee),

There are other places which have a different demographic working behind the counter (eg ED) who barely register my existence if I'm browsing but are really sweet if I ask a question or buy anything. I think it can be as much down to the customer as the server (I don't believe the customer is always right for instance)

But there is NO HOPE AT ALL for the chemist up by Badger Bakery....

I agree, there are plenty of shops on LL which have front of house staff that are friendly & knowledgable. I think the staff at Green and Blue are excellent; friendly without being over familiar, knowledgable without being pompous ( & Jude, one half of the dynamic duo that is Jude & Kate is great.... for a southerner :)-D ) the staff are also courteous without being sycophantic!

Also, Daniel at Cheers is a breath of fresh air, he's good natured and helpful! Tom at Chener Books (although I think he's left now... does anyone know if he's still there?) was a great help when I left the book club I was in and wanted to branch out with my reading choices ;-)(ooh, that reminds me, are there any book clubs up and running on this website? I'm new to the forum!)

So all in all, like anywhere else really, there are generally always going to be good and bad retail experiences and yep, sometimes it's down to the individual shopper!

C :)

I'd add "Pretty Traditional" - polite & helpful, the FLower Shop almost next door (am a regular customer for roses for Mrs MM)as very friendly, together with Cheese Shop, the Barbers on Northcross Road, Moxons (always happy to recommend cooking methods), LL Carpet Shop - occasionally weird but as we've given them 3 years of busines they are good to us. Si Mangia (bit off LL / ED) very friendly - just home after impromptu supper - bill came with three free Limoncello liqueurs as is / are The Bishop & Herne Tavern, Green & Blue. All in all have never had a bad experience on LL.

In general I enjoy shopping local and talk to shopkeeper - most talk back happily

"Dulwich DIY"

I've never felt comfortable in this shop; especially since the woman who I assume to be the owner was rude to me when telling me that they didn't stock something I was looking for. Give me Terry's DIY for service any day.

the cockney girls who work in Threshers are bloody hilarious. I don't go in often but when I do they are always having loud conversations taking the mick out of each other etc. I get the impression some of them turn up to hang around and have a laugh even if it's not their shift, as there always seem to be three people manning a tiny shop.

I think the staff in Moxtons are probably the friendliest and the most helpful staff I've ever come across - always a cooking suggestion, a joke etc whenever I go in there. In fact my consumption of fish has gone up since they've opened as I enjoy going there once a week!

And no I don't have any connection to the shop!