Is it me but most of the people that work in the shops in East Dulwich are not friendly. (Lounged)

The Rafester

I agree about Dulwich DIY. I've never noticed an unplesant woman there as a previous poster mentioned. The people there are friendly especially if you compare them to my feeling when entering the other place close to the library. Though it's closer to me I can never remember it's name. Go in there and you feel you need to know what you are talking about even if you are just a DIYer. Not friendly at all.

not2late Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> By the way, where and what is "Cheers" -- I've

> lived in the area on and off for ten years and I

> have no idea what people are talking about!

>

> not2late

It's the rather anonymous off license on LL just before Whately Road near the police station

There were two guys, one bald as a coot and the other with curly hair - both so friendly and a pleasure to say hi to

Now it's been bought/taken over and not so much fun

The bald guy (sorry doode) now runs an offie on the Old Kent Road near Toys R Us

He wanted to take over and run the LL Cheers but I guess the owner didn't want that

Another vote here for Dulwich DIY - when I was looking for some complicated low voltage dimmer switch they were the first of three shops to actually be helpful and order what I needed rather than fob me off with something unsuitable. And they happily keep my paint for me while I go and have a coffee.

Moo Too are always cheerful and I have had lovely friendly service from William Rose (very excited to hear they deliver!).

If we're going to talk about REALLY unfriendly then I'd like to vote for the women that run the salad stall and the bread stall on North Cross Road market. One of them is OK, but the others show no interest in serving you and then look down their noses at you as if to say 'Only spending ?5 - what a cheapskate!' One time I was there the two stalls were having a barny and didn't even stop to serve their customers.

If we're voting for rude service then I would nominate the woman in the newsagent near Soup Dragon. She is always on the phone and treats the customers like they are one big inconvenience for bothering her. I've never once heard her say please or thank you to anyone. I won't go in there - I vote with my feet and use the other newsagent by Green & Blue - much better service.

giggirl Wrote:

> If we're voting for rude service then I would

> nominate the woman in the newsagent near Soup

> Dragon. She is always on the phone and treats the

> customers like they are one big inconvenience for

> bothering her.

If I find a shoppkeeper on the phone i will not just hand over money, but make them tell me how much it is, and also ask for something totally obscure (A made up magazine usually....) petty I know, but I don't get out much, so need some entertainment.... ;-)

LostThePlot Wrote:

> If I find a shoppkeeper on the phone i will not

> just hand over money, but make them tell me how

> much it is, and also ask for something totally

> obscure (A made up magazine usually....) petty I

> know, but I don't get out much, so need some

> entertainment.... ;-)

That made me laugh - but you should defnitely get out more.

Have to give a Big Up to Rosie in Grace & Favour, as I went in there the other day to buy a female friend a birthday gift. I being a bloke had no idea, and Rosie showed me various things that a lady of that age might like, and in the end the lady in question was (I think) pleased with her pressie, so cheers Rosie!

I tried to order a turkey for christmas from the butchers on LL and they were really rude to me...

I was grilled about how often i go to the shop, when was the last time, would they recognise my boyfriend or they wouldn't reserve for him...

i've bought lots of meat from there not sure if i would measure up to scratch as a regular, plus as my boyfriend isn't the one that goes in there for meat they wouldn't reserve a turkey for him... i was Bl**dy incensed by this pathetic and arrogant service style.

Tempted to boycott from hereonin... shame he doesn't want our cash deposit/future business - have gone elsewhere....

agree manners costs nothing...

on a separate note, i always find that DIY dulwich bend over backwards to help whenever i go in...

I have to tell you I popped into 'the allegedly notorious' Ralon stationers today with a pretty ordinary request and the lady behind the till was charm personified; said hello, i asked for directions, she showed me some options, i paid my money, made small talk and left. perfectly nice transaction really!

Ultraconsultancy

Haven't really encountered much 'unfriendliness' in ED to tell the truth. The new people in Cheers seem to be really nice - they had a hard act to follow in Daniel but they greet you with a smile. The Ralon guy admittedly can be a bit full-on - I went in there to get something printed from a floppy dish a while back and he made a big performance about getting the guy upstairs to do it, 'we don't normally do this' etc etc. I think he just needs to calm down.

Try going into the shops with a pram!!

Okay, okay, East Dulwich is nappy valley and it so irritating that in some shops we seem to be tripping over 3-wheelers. However, there are certain shops that are so rude as soon as they see you pushing a pram they just glare. Annoying as we are - we're customers all the same and during the week, when we seem to make up the majority of the business I find it quite hard to swallow such rudeness.

My baby was about a month old when the Chanderlier opened - happy walked in and got a table in the back so I wasn't too much in the way. Pulled the pram in close to the table - still I was asked to move it to the other side of the room hmmmm new-born baby...when I pointed out that I wasn't in the way the waitress walked off in a huff and went and moaned to her colleagues. Didn't get servered for ages and genuinely felt upset that I was being treated with such disdain - It wasn't busy, I wasn't in the way and the mums of east dulwich during that time of the day are the income for a lot of these places. To top it off ?8.50 for a crappy salmon sandwich on cheap white bread! Other examples are shop keepers watching your struggle to get in/out, constantly hounding you to move, and ones that you can't even get into (Mrs Robinsons).

On the other hand there are shops that go out of their way to be lovely - DIY store, East Dulwich Deli, grace & favour (when you buy something), Dr Boos, to name a few. Anyway, don't want to start a whole 'bloody prams' debate.

_On the other hand there are shops that go out of their way to be lovely - DIY store_

It shows how people's perceptions can differ.

I decided never to go back to this place again, after the I spoken to very rudely by the person I assumed to be the owner, and then mocked within my hearing to others working in the shop. I wanted a bog standard candle holder and, given the range of non-DIY stuff (including household candles) they stock I thought is was worth checking there.

In the end I found what I was looking for in East Dulwich Garden Centre - strange, eh?

i guess we all have differing experiences in different shop and cafes etc . like our personal relationships some days we're in a good mood somedays not .i always try to help mums with prams if i see them trying to struggle with shop door etc .

i was in le chandeier with a friend and her child aged three the other day , the owner could not hae been more charming to him so maybe when they first opened they were tired, stressed out and things have settled down now surely we have to give people a second chance