Moxon's Next Door Opens Tomorrow

rjsmall Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> DulwichFox Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Moxons is

> > totally overrated with rude unhelpful staff.

>

> I completely disagree with this - I have been

> going to Moxon's since I moved to East Dulwich

> almost eight years ago and I have never

> experienced rude unhelpful staff. In fact it has

> always been the opposite - helpful, good with

> suggestions and always chatty.

Unfortunately rjsmall, this is likely to take the thread in the wrong direction.

As regards the restaurant - I am very pleased to hear the good reviews above and am looking forward to going there even more now. It cant be easy getting off to a good start, but its very important and looks like they have managed it. Hopefully it grows into a long term success.

Mick Mac Wrote:

> Unfortunately rjsmall, this is likely to take the

> thread in the wrong direction.

>

True - I am sure experiences vary. That said I am looking forward to trying the restaurant.

Really looking forward to trying it. I've also never found the service poor in any way in Moxons. We use them regularly and also Sopers. Very lucky indeed to have two good fishmongers in the area. Absolutely no comparison between their produce and what you get from supermarkets. Long may both places thrive.

Ace77 Wrote:

> I love Moxons, but having no prices online is a

> bit wierd & puts me off.

They have explained the reason above!

It is quite a small space to handle (I would guess) 26 covers (and 12 at least more outside in good weather) - in terms both of kitchen capacity and having room for serving staff - who seem to be very good, but could become overwhelmed. The tables (for 2) are small and close. The menu formula also may need review - the starters and small plates are good (the ones I have tried) and inventive - but the 'mains' need to be shared and not everyone necessarily has the same taste. A few 'single portion' mains might be attractive as an option - perhaps built around the (excellent) smoked and pickled fish on the small plates menu.

I'm a cynic, of course, but I do wonder whether the chosen large fish for the shared mains aren't what is still fresh, but may not have sold as expected next door during the day. The two menu boards actually had a slightly different selection on them this evening.

I enjoyed everything I had, certainly; some dishes were extremely good, but I won't be rushing back unless I see the menu change quite quickly - if only because we ate much of it at this visit! This may be a once every couple of months, not once a week venue for us.

So far they are trying hard, and succeeding, but whether the formula survives the test of time will be interesting.

What is great is that in the space of less than 50 yards or so we have this place, Franklyn's and Spinach, and tonight they all seemed to be buzzing. It's good competition for the (much longer) EDT to The Palmerston stretch of LL.

I just really wanted to comment on someone's post saying the staff were rude at Moxons.

I've always found them to be quite the opposite, friendly and really helpful.

I'm not a big cook and always only buy one portion of fish as my OH is allergic to all fish but I find the staff happy to give me cooking tips and don't give me attitude when I procrastinate and then only spend a little money.

Needless to say as a fish but not a meat lover I will be going to the resturant with a fish eating friend leaving the old man at home!

I hope they do well!

Went Saturday night. Overall good I thought.

Definitely felt like a sharing restaurant, there were four of us. Waitress said dishes just come whenever ready. no order. We ordered two each. My wife had ordered the bisque, which you would generally eat before the other dishes, but it arrived last of all the dishes - not to worry :) .

There were two whole fish choices (black bass and bream I think...) on the blackboard being described as fish between two, these were whole fish served on the bone, so we didn't go for this.

We had a chat after the meal and the waitress said these could be served off the bone if requested, and although oven baked, a hollandaise sauce was available too.

We will go for this next time.

What we'd really like is single filleted fish dishes, not for sharing. But that's entirely up to them - I don't think its the direction they want to go in.

Oysters, scallops dish, herring dish etc all good and well presented. Lobster risotto too. so lots of choice of small plates.

Staff were very professional and polite, seemed well trained or good experience from elsewhere.

fishbiscuits Wrote:

> Will definitely give it a go at some point, but

> generally I don't think us brits are used to

> eating whole fish on the bone, are we? Most people

> don't know really what to do with it.

Well, maybe, I don't mind it occasionally, but I think sharing a plate of one fish on the bone between two people, was perceived by us as more difficult than having your own plate/fish to fiddle with.

Tried this place tonight and it was good. We don?t cook a lot of fish at home (I?m a late convert) and I would tend to go for filleted fish if available. However the John Dory to share was excellent. Sufficiently well cooked to avoid unwanted bones. The place was full and walk-ins were agreeing to sit outside despite the cooler evening. We wish them well.

We went for lunch today, and thought it was really very good indeed. We had some sharing plates - Moxon's smoked salmon, the risotto and the mackerel, all well presented. A risotto is a pretty good test of a restaurant's competence. Personally I'm very happy with my John Dory on the bone. It was cooked just right, i.e. not overcooked and still firm (hard to find!), with a lovely buttery sauce, and the side of chips was cooked with care. Excellent value - less than ?45 for two with 50cl of white Grenache. How do they do it. Charming staff. We'll be back again soon.

Yes, went on Saturday too and thought it was brilliant. took children and they loved the smoked fish - particularly the eel, which was yummy and we shared a platter and 4 more small dishes between 6. Good value and wine was lovely too.

We took our friends from Cambridge on Saturday evening,who came down for the artists open house, and we had a fabulous meal 4 sharing plates and two John dories, With sides,dessert and wine a wonderful meal and will definitely be going back!

Went there this weekend and it was fantastic. 2 side plates, a whole fish and two sides and was perfect for 2 hungry people.

Only one thing that would be good is if they de-boned the fish for you after it arrived as some fish places do.

Apart from that staff very knowledgeable and the wine reasonably priced. Will definitely go back again

Calsug

I will try it eventually, maybe. But as Foxy hinted at previously, I shall wait for the usual ED hysteria to die back a bit. I?ll allow the ED elite to partake in some ?look at me? antics before I venture in.

Louisa.

What's an acceptably long enough time to play it cool so that my custom is no longer hysteria?

And obviously if I'm going to be really cool I would want to ensure that nobody sees me in there....so is it best to go in disguise? Maybe don a non elite outfit?

Can I trust the reviews of the people who have already been who are obviously full of hysteria?

What if I'd then like to leave a review- how do I do that while avoiding a look at me antic?

What if everyone plays it cool and doesn't go to the new restaurant....and then it closes....and then I don't get to not be seen at it at a later, less hysterical date?

I feel wholly conflicted about how I can try the food at the new Moxons restaurant while avoiding hysteria.... I don't like hysteria....I just like fish.....and I don't want to be looked at while I eat it