Spate of burglaries in East Dulwich

Howard Beale: I don't have to tell you things are bad. Everybody knows things are bad. It's a depression. Everybody's out of work or scared of losing their job. The dollar buys a nickel's worth, banks are going bust, shopkeepers keep a gun under the counter. Punks are running wild in the street and there's nobody anywhere who seems to know what to do, and there's no end to it. We know the air is unfit to breathe and our food is unfit to eat, and we sit watching our TV's while some local newscaster tells us that today we had fifteen homicides and sixty-three violent crimes, as if that's the way it's supposed to be. We know things are bad - worse than bad. They're crazy. It's like everything everywhere is going crazy, so we don't go out anymore. We sit in the house, and slowly the world we are living in is getting smaller, and all we say is, 'Please, at least leave us alone in our living rooms. Let me have my toaster and my TV and my steel-belted radials and I won't say anything. Just leave us alone.' Well, I'm not gonna leave you alone. I want you to get mad! I don't want you to protest. I don't want you to riot - I don't want you to write to your congressman because I wouldn't know what to tell you to write. I don't know what to do about the depression and the inflation and the Russians and the crime in the street. All I know is that first you've got to get mad. You've got to say, 'I'm a HUMAN BEING, God damn it! My life has VALUE!' So I want you to get up now. I want all of you to get up out of your chairs. I want you to get up right now and go to the window. Open it, and stick your head out, and yell, 'I'M AS MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE!' I want you to get up right now, sit up, go to your windows, open them and stick your head out and yell - 'I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore!' Things have got to change. But first, you've gotta get mad!... You've got to say, 'I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!' Then we'll figure out what to do about the depression and the inflation and the oil crisis. But first get up out of your chairs, open the window, stick your head out, and yell, and say it: "I'M AS MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE!"

Share this quote

• 1 month later...

Well yet more burglaries on my street! just off Lordship Lane.

This time a brand new laptop/t.v/digital cam' stolen - my neighbour suspects its things the burglars can easily sell off to mates/local pub.

The worrying thing is that the house that got burgled had a motion detector system/alarm linked to local Police station and they never got there on time...!

So please be aware that even alarms linked to Police are not foolproof.

My car had stopped at the traffic lights by Lordship Lane Library when a guy in a white van pulled his window down to ask me did i want to buy a knock off TV.He said it was his last one of the day. I couldnt believe the bare cheek of him asking. Probably this was stolen goods too.

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Did you note the number plate and report it to the

> Police?

No James sadly not.We were next to each other at the lights & i was turning left & he went down Barry Road.I will be on my guard next time tho.

I gather from the Police Forum meeting that the Lordship lane/Barry Road area is classed as a hot spot for cars being stolen. And loads of burglaries taking place around the Goose Green end of Crystal Palace road,

Hey guys

Next neighbourhood watch meeting for oakhurst grove, ferris road and tyrell road is 23rd May 1930 at Goose Green community centre.

Hope to see you there!

Thomas Micklewright

07789 322 920

Message from Police below regarding rise in burglaries on Oakhurst Grove:

I wish to bring to your attention a slight rise in burglaries in Oakhurst Grove and on the adjacent road Crystal Palace.

Please can I ask residents to notify Police if they see anyone acting suspicious and to make sure if you have a house alarm put it on and keep your windows locked when you go out. Also it is advisable to double lock entry doors so not relying on your yale lock.

If anyone wants any advice regarding keeping their property secure please give me a call and I'll be happy to assist.

With the NHW up and running this is a good opportunity to recruit new members and I would ask residents to do their bit in speaking to their neighbours or friends on the road to invite them to our next meeting which is on 23rd May 1930 at Goose Green community centre.

Remember in an emergency always ring 999, any other time please call myself or Police on 101.

Hi all, unfortunately, this coincides with full Council Assembly, so I am unable to attend. I am planning to attend the Police Ward Panel meeting on Thursday 24th May, at the Honor Oak Baptist Church on Forest Hill Rd (junction with Therapia). All Peckham Rye and Nunhead Ward Residents are welcome to this. At this meeting crime etc issues are discussed with the local police (SNT).

Renata

We're setting up Neighbourhood Watch for the length of Upland Road and Piermond Green. Thank you Thomas Mickelwright for helping me contact the police officer responsible. We are having a meeting with the police, local councillors and as many residents as are available on a Friday evening:

18th May, this Friday, 19:30, East Dulwich Police Station in the conference room

All Upland Road and Piermont Green residents are urged to come! PM me if you have questions or want to join an emailing list

Hi

A couple I am aware of recently in Crystal Palace road

2 weeks ago a perp made entrance by the front door , during the afternoon, frightening the occupant.

2 months ago a perp attempted entrance via front window , using a lever, broke window lock in the process, but was interruped and made off. ( 8 PM )

both of these in daylight

SO

Yes there is a spate on at the moment

Do a security audit of your home ( google it )

Get more secure

good luck

mynamehere Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> We're setting up Neighbourhood Watch for the

> length of Upland Road and Piermond Green.

xxxxx

What happened to the Neighbourhood Watch which was supposed to be being set up in Ulverscroft Road?

This must have been over a year ago, and I've heard nothing since despite volunteering to be involved with it.

[email protected]

Michael Page helps local streets set up the scheme

We're having a meeting this evening to set up Upland Road and Piermont Green and we need people to definitely come at 19:30 to East Dulwich Police Station Conference Room

It's one thing to start threads and compare problems but what stops crime is claiming the streets for the forces of good.

• 3 weeks later...

As many people are pre-occupied with the Jubilee festivities, its important that they are also vigilant and keep themselves and their houses safe.

My neighbour saw suspicious looking people knocking on doors (in broad daylight), whilst most of residents were at a local street party....

Burglars need no excuse, but with people also being away for the Bank Hols its important to be aware.

An Upland Road neighbour called me today to say she thinks her door was forced open at 4:30am Monday the 4th. The door was chained as well as closed and remained chained so no one entered the house. She called the police and was happy with their very fast responce. She's in her 70's and wanted this reported to people near-by.

• 7 months later...

I believe it to be more break-ins than usual, as cut-backs and austerity measures bite, some people do take to criminal activities.

My Mothers elderly friend had a scam builder try to 'coerce' his way into her flat, luckily she's a feisty old galand soon got shot of him!

I was recently burgled (its terrible). However, the forensic team told me that East Dulwich's burglaries are way down since 2010 and very low compared to most of South London (Lewisham and Lambeth got name checked as particularly bad). Don't know if he was just trying to make me feel better.

I queried a substantial increase to my building and contents insurance quotation with Halifax this week - was told it is nothing to do with us, or our house specifically, but that Halifax have reclassified our bit of SE22 as highest level risk for burglary and car crime based on last two years data.

Nothing concrete to back this up but I'm looking at alternative cover, so will be interesting to see if other insurers say the same.