Fastest route to M25?

buttons

My parents have just moved to Leatherhead (where the A3 meets the M25) - when the traffic's down, it can take 45 minutes to whizz down the A3, but when there's traffic, it takes more than twice as long.

I've tried a couple of other routes (Tooting, Lee...) with little success. The M25 is usually surprisingly quick so it doesn't matter which junction to hit, I just can't find a reliable way of getting down there.

Does anyone have any brilliant traffic-beating secrets that they're willing to share? It'd save me (and my parents) a lot of grief...

We go to Leatherhead quite frequently, and have found there really is no one best way... getting to the A3 through Brixton, Clapham, Wandsworth can sometimes take ages, but equally we found that heading down the Gatwick route via Ikea/Purley to the M25 can be hit and miss, particularly because of the single carriageway beyond the big roundabout bit... on balance, we tend to go via the A3... Haven't tried the A2 route, so may give that a go next time... good luck!

I prefer to go Tulse Hill, Streatham Hill, down the back of Balham, cut across Trinity Road, Garratt Lane, Plough Lane, up through Wimbledon Village and onto the A3 there. Convoluted but better than joining the A3 at Oval and sitting in traffic through Clapham Junction and Wandsworth.

buttons Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Does anyone have any brilliant traffic-beating

> secrets that they're willing to share? It'd save

> me (and my parents) a lot of grief...

1. Each get a Honda 600F or similar ... + bike licence if you don't have one.

2. Move closer.

3. Chopper from Battersea

All routes out that way are bad.

I?ve tried them all.

The A2 route is in the wrong direction - although its dual carriage way from Blackheath so easier to drive.

I tend to go down through Croydon, and join A23 there rather than going on the Purley way, but to be honest all routes take about as long as each other.

yeah as rahrahrah said , the A2. sometimes you can get caught out at catford tho as mentioned, but depends, i use it a lot, but i cut round honour oak and filter round and miss catford, and come out at the roundabout were world of leather use to be and mc d's is, i think its top tiles now roundabout or actually could be maplin.

I've heard some very strange routes given on here but the A2 to get top the A3 is about the funniest ever! Almost opposite directions and miles more!!

Personally I think you're just as likely to hit traffic going down the A23 route so you may as well as go the straightest route South Circyular to Wandsworth (or maybe Vauxhall/Battersa to Wandsworth)may hit traffic and often do but as I said this is as likely on A23 route too.

jimmyraj Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I prefer to go Tulse Hill, Streatham Hill, down

> the back of Balham, cut across Trinity Road,

> Garratt Lane, Plough Lane, up through Wimbledon

> Village and onto the A3 there. Convoluted but

> better than joining the A3 at Oval and sitting in

> traffic through Clapham Junction and Wandsworth.

This is a good route to the A3 - use smaller roads at busy times - Palace Road, Downton Av , Telford Av , Thornton Rd, Adkins Rd - back roads to Nightingale Lane - then as above.

If going down the M23 for example (not the A3) it can be quicker and less stressful to go via the A20/M25 than go through Croydon and Purley, even if you know the shortcuts.

As with all driving in London, depends on timing. We have been to Polesden Lacey just south of Leatherhead in less than an hour via South Circular then A20 then M25 on a few occasions but always takes much longer to do this route at weekend if you hit Catford bottleneck after 10.30am.

• 2 weeks later...

It depends on the time of day and the day of the week.

Weekends Wandsworth tends to be quite busy when getting to the A3,

so going via Tooting/Balham, etc can be quicker.

Alternatively and not mentioned is to drive through Bromley and join the M25 at Pratsbottom.

There have been times (after looking up on various traffic sites) where I've gone up to the A4/M25 to get to the A3.