New restaurant

Had breakfast there yesterday. So happy to see them open early. They actually open up at 7.30am for breakfasts!! Brilliant. The avocado on toast was absolutely beautiful. Lovely d?cor. Lovely ambiance. Lovely friendly staff. I will definitely be going back.

Went in yesterday and today in afternoon for one of their wonderful lemonade, vanilla and cream sodas - nectar of the gods! Amazing. Just like popping into a bar on the continent. Such a lovely experience. And they're so welcoming - they love to chat and get to know you. And their enthusiasm is infectious. I think this is one of the most interesting developments in Lordship Lane in a long time. It was a very special experience and I hope they'll be a great success and stay with us for a long time.

Ruffler Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> First impressions from diners sound great, but

> some of the dishes on the menu on twitter could do

> with a little more culinary description. 'Tomato,

> peas and onion' at ?10 wouldn't tempt me, I'm

> afraid!

Haha, I thought the same, I suppose it's a vegetarian option that isn't goats cheese.

I actually find it a very annoying modern restaurant affectation to write menus like that. We're paying for it, the least you could do s be a bit more descriptive.

Ruffler Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> First impressions from diners sound great, but

> some of the dishes on the menu on twitter could do

> with a little more culinary description. 'Tomato,

> peas and onion' at ?10 wouldn't tempt me, I'm

> afraid!

this sounds like a popular Indian dish but as you say, difficult to tell from the menu (and I generally quite like the simplicity of modern menus). However, they tend to leave me thinking that I must be quite uncultured as I frequently have to consult google to find out what the ingredients actually are. *embarrassed face*

Am very jealous of their elderflower haul, mine are nowhere near ready for picking yet.

In case anyone else is digging around for it, it's 0208 693 9021

Went last night - great addition to Dulwich. The Mackerel and Pork were the highlights. Also has great staff, particularly the half French/Spanish wine waiter. Will be back soon.

Tried Toast.e.d for lunch today.

Very friendly and informative staff. Two good and value for money glass of wine from the tanks plus two "on toast" dishes - mashed avocado and a made on the premises cream cheese with honey. Both delicious. Chatting to staff the evening menu sounds good - the wood fired over looks intriguing, they're intending to cook their own bread in it plus roast the odd dish.

Overall an impressive start - I wish them well and will return for a proper meal soon.

I have been twice - once for a morning coffee/brunch and last night for a late drink (Brockley Pale Ale, not wine in this instance)

As this forum will show, I was a lifelong supporter and customer of G&B. And if they open up a new venture I will go there too, and don't wish any comments to be construed as criticism

But the atmosphere is noticably buzzier. Could be the lower area now having diners, could be the wine tanks, could be the new business buzz.

But I like it a lot. The staff and owners are proactive and keen, but not pushy.

As Marmora Man says, the wood fired oven is interesting, both visually and potentially (from a food perspective)

Thumbs up

Yesterday I picked up a bottle of vat red, just to check it out. And first impression is that they're on top of their game - these guys know about proper customer service - the type you only see at Claridge's, Bread Street Kitchen, Duck & Waffle - 100% attentive and friendly but not overdone.

And the wine? It definitely benefits from a half hour airing, but it was perfectly acceptable and improved by the mouthful (cherries, blackcurrants, etc.) At ?4.70, I'll be back for more.

Well done, ToastED . You done good.

Just picked up one of the "bin ends" for a ?5 and spoke to Abel who was amazingly informative, friendly and provided top customer service i have not had for a while..

Can't wait to go to one of the wine tastings.

PS: the bin end is amazeballs. And tastes even better supporting our local people rather than the supermarket.

We went last night and were really impressed by the buzz, vat wine and the food - it was absolutely delicious.

I didn't know what a lot of things on the menu were, but the waitress was very helpful and knowledgeable and we were glad that we experimented.

We loved G&B but I'm so pleased that the idea has been reincarnated successfully.

It is also great value.

We will definitely be going back for more!

We had lunch there today after hearing great reviews and although food was really great, think they are still getting through niggles. We ordered 3 toast dishes and a kids plate. It took over an hr to arrive and in the end they didn't give us one of the toast dishes. Friendly staff and good food so won't be put off trying them again. Just not on a sat with a hungry toddler.