Lordship lane shops - service

Poppet

Just come back from L Lane, haven't wandered up there for a while, and come away v disappointed with a lot of the places we visited (A certain place's name removed, sorry - Admin), Luca, mrs Robinson (clothing shop) all seemed to employ staff who really didn't care whether we spent money with them or not. Just was quite a surprise, maybe we 're spoilt with the lovely deli at hop and Le querche in brockley.

Don't expect grovelling shop assistants, but on a rainy Monday when they are all pretty empty, you'd think they'd be more interested in getting some money in the till

Just disappointed enough to mention

Brockley is a great place to shop, a lot more chilled out than around here. Less pretentious. However, I think it's a little unfair to reach conclusions about the area based on one days shopping experience. Come back another time and see how you feel then.

Louisa.

You're a little ray of sunshine aren't you Poppet. Not saying that you're wrong, just saying that it's odd that the only thing that motivates you to post is to write something negative about an area you don't live in. Your glass is definitely half empty so maybe that has something to do with how you relate to others (eg. shop assistants).

Agree with you Poppet.

I also wandered up to LL around a year ago with my two teenage girls and was appalled at the lack of basic "please" and "thank yous" even though me and my girls said it when we had just bought something etc. etc. My girls asked me not to embarrass them but embarrass them I did! I've taught them the basic please and thank yous but every shop was the same with total lack of interest and communication.

It must be you negative people putting out bad vibes to the LL businesses - there is nothing better than shopping eating drinking and in the process having a laugh and chatting to, not only those serving but the shoppers themselves!

We love shopping in ED and agree if other don't - move away and take your negativity with you!

I've always lived in this area, always been v proud of living here, and loving the fact the surrounding areas are improving, and not all the lovely shops etc are just on LL.

Never written on here, and won't again. Had hoped for constructive discussion. Not told to leave

Hi Poppet..

I would not worry too much about comments aimed against you here.

It's a Forum Thing to bully new members for expressing a point of view.

In the main I tend not to shop on Lordship Lane so do not have personal experiences

with poor customer service.

But with a general sense of Over-importance and Pretentiousness prevailing it does not

surprise me that shop owners adopt a certain air of superiority over their customers.

They think they are doing you a favour to actually serve you.

I feel sorry for those who may work for these people and can understand why they might

not always be in the best of moods.

There is nothing on the lane that cannot be bought elsewhere at a more reasonable price.

I have recently discovered the lovely area around Herne Hill Station.

A great Butchers and a lovely Bakers. (Ye Olde Bakery) both with helpful friendly staff.

Also a couple of Caf?/Cake shops with outside seating.

I used to drink in Brockley many moons ago. Must give it a visit some time.

It is good to get away from the East Dulwich Bubble from time to time.

I suppose that suits some people. The sort of people that go on Holiday to Mexico

or other locations only to stay in some complex that they never need to leave cos

everything is to hand.

Foxy

Poppet don't be put off for expressing an opinion. If that were the case I'd have been gone years ago! Everyone is entitled to an opinion and I think in the interest of balance and fair play you should at least try those same shops on a different day just to see if you caught them on an off day. I personally do not shop as often as I used to on LL, but not because of the service, for me it's more to do with the lack of shops I like. A girl can only have so many estate agents and curry houses to window shop.

Louisa.

PandG Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> What twoddle as usual from DF maybe a name change

> is due matey!

>

> As for Poppet this was not her first post she was

> trying to rent out a house on this very forum on

> 24/4/2012!

Why would I want to change my Username. People know me.

I do not hide behind my Username like some.

I think it's a good Username.

And funny enough the Local Foxes follow me home and wait outside my house.

So Even the Foxes know me.

http://i860.photobucket.com/albums/ab167/mickdavies83/DulwichFox_zps5fd799e0.jpg

DulwichFox .. There is only one .

lane lover Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Best to stay in Brockley then.

Funny that only yesterday in another Thread you wrote:-

I agree. If businesses have poor service, then let it be known.

It should make them ultimately better businesses if they listen to the comments.

DulwichFox

While it's not the prime reason I've made the decision to move back up the hill to CP, it is a minor one; there was a time LL was a smiling, friendly place, but these days it's become more like Northcote Rd 'Between the Commons', where most of the staff in the shops are rude and unwelcoming, and the Lane itself is full of morons who think their off road baby buggies have more right to be on the pavement than the rest of us, and often assert that right by running into you. In Mrs Robinson recently, I had to ask for the attention of a staff member twice before she stopped texting and served me. Like I say, not a prime reason to leave the area, but one that helps tip the balance towards the friendlier, livelier Crystal Palace...

Edit: A couple of honourable mentions are owed to Moxons, Franklins and William Rose for being friendly and helpful. And once, when I moaned about the snail-like pace of the service in Lucas, they knocked off the price of the coffees and teas we'd had with breakfast...

To be honest the pull factor of areas like Crystal Palace and Peckham is bound to eventually outstrip ED. Bigger, cheaper houses for buying and renting - better rail connections (Overground), lively and trendy, 'on the up'... All the things once attractive about here are now gone. It shouldn't affect small businesses and the way they view customers, but perhaps does in some small ways. Businesses in their early years in exciting edgy areas will want to attract a customer base and do exciting different things to break the mold. Once established maybe they occasionally need a little reminder to 'up their game', no harm in that.

Louisa.