best way to gatwick?

benmorg

anyone know the best way to get to gatwick airport by public transport? e.g. I could do:

1. train from ED to east croydon, connection to gatwick

2. train to London Bridge, connection to gatwick

3. train from Denmark Hill to victoria, gatwick express

or get a cab, though that might cost a lot..

Up until I just went on holiday I would say public transport but I'll give you this info:

if there is at least two of you a cab will be cheaper - the Gatwick Express is ?18 per peson one-way, plus the faff of getting to and from Victoria with bags; a cab from Panther Cars on NorthCross Rd will cost you ?45 door-to-door. I don't know about the other options but that seemed reasonable for a cab at midnight on a Thurs/Fri.

Option 1's best (or sometimes ED to Tulse Hill then to Gatwick), takes about 45/50 minutes

on the way back though that route stops about 5pm and you'll have to go Gatwick to East Croydon to Forest Hill, bus to ED. Or similar.

Mark Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Option 1's best (or sometimes ED to Tulse Hill

> then to Gatwick), takes about 45/50 minutes

>

> on the way back though that route stops about 5pm

> and you'll have to go Gatwick to East Croydon to

> Forest Hill, bus to ED. Or similar.

After 5 it's invariably quicker to get the train from Gatwick to London Bridge (or Victoria) than to change at E Croydon

Alos if you get Southern or First Capital Connect it is cheaper than Gatwick Express (if you have a Z12 travel card you get a further discount)

I do a lot of travelling to Gatwick, as I work abroad ofter, and I'd say Option one is by far the best way to go.

Tried doing it in a car (travelling to Gatwick, you mucky folks!) and it's just a pain in the @ss.

Trains are really good and frequent. If youcan avoid London, you can save yourself 1/2the price on a ticket ?7 (not through london) or ?14 otherwise.

And if you go online and book it (if you have time) you can get a return.

I normally go from FH station to E Croydon, then get the Gatwick/Brighton train. This does mean traipsing up and down those long ramps between ptalforms at Croydon.

This year we grabbed a taxi from E Croydon to dash home and pick up a forgotten passport (not mine). The drive from E Croydon to ED was interminable. The texi driver said it would be far faster for us to get the train back down to Gatwick than for him to take us in the taxi. We took his advice, and he dropped us back at Forest Hill station. It took us less time for us to get from FH to Gatwick than it had for him to drive us from E Croydon to ED. Also a lot cheaper (the taxi bill on the two hops had been 30 quid).

• 5 weeks later...

i do a lot of traveling and train from FH to EC and then onto Gatwick is definitely the best option. trains are also frequent through FH - every 10 - 12 mins.

Gatwick express is just more money. cab can be cheaper if there are a few of you as it's about ?35. but the drive is shocking - mainly through suburbs so it's stop start with buses and traffic lights - not to mention the road works. you might as well drive to heathrow - even cabs are the same cost! as they're actually pretty much the same distance too.

• 3 weeks later...

Would still use the train personally.

It took us less than 40 mins to get from forest hill station to gatwick (this was about 8am in the morning on a weekday), one swap at East Croydon which was up and down slopes so no steps, and you come off the platform at gatwick straight into departures - all for only ?7 one way - don't think it can be beaten!!