macroban

macroban Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I'm not very good with numbers.

>

> Does this mean the young lady from Foxtons has to

> close ?1.8m of house sales per week to keep her

> job?

I think it's 1.2 million - based on a 3% commission. And not to keep her job, that's the next step up from basic.

Charlie

In defence of Foxtons I think their shop front in Lordship Lane is great - much more interesting than the boring estate agents with cards in the window elsewhere.

They are good at selling houses. Maybe not the most popular of businesses but they are not the devil incarnate. And at least all the branded minis have disappeared.

Charlie

char1ie Wrote:

> They are good at selling houses.

Not to me, they're not! They showed me round some places last year, and the guy was clueless. When we arrived at the first place, and the owner wasn't expecting us, I put it down as a genuine mistake. When we arrived at the second place and the agent tried to get into the wrong house, I started to realise that he was a bit dim. I finally lost interest when he tried to convince me that a 400k 2 bed flat was a good buy.

• 3 months later...

louisiana Wrote:

> I hear that 120 estate agent branches are closing

> down a week.

> Or somesuch.

>

> Gives us something to smile about...

You're smiling about a lot of people losing their jobs? What a pleasant person you sound like. If you ever find yourself in a position that you may lose your job... just remember and smile about it.

The line 'something to smile about' was used by the, ever impartial, BBC to describe the potential loss of some 70,000 estate agency (and related) jobs over the next year.

But, to get back to the subject, will Foxtons go bust? Very unlikely, I've said it before but they are in Dulwich for the long term. They must be a very well funded company to have come this far. Their previous owner, who did decline to buy them back but on what terms few know, has said that their business model should be fairly recession proof because of the rental market. And he is not stupid. He currently has about a billion pounds more than the rest of us.

I wish they'd do something about their light show, it's so un-U. If you know what I mean?

• 5 weeks later...
The Foxtons "shop" brightens up the "strip". Don't mind if it stays. Spoke to that Warren McCann chap once - he seemed like a nice guy and, like others on the thread, I would not like to see more people losing jobs, even estate agents have bills to pay.

when i was thinking of selling my property i had a young man from foxtons come round to give me a valuation, he was very pushy and speaking so fast i found it very hard to keep up with him, then he started on about with the commision he made on my house he could buy himself a brand new BMW!!!

• 2 months later...