EDF Drinks at The Phoenix this Friday 9th January

georgia

• 2 weeks later...

slightly more helpful to eliz I hope - The Phoenix is directly above Denmark Hill station. It used to be nigh-on the worst O'Neills pub I ever set foot in but the rebirth (!) as another Mitchell & Butler pub similar to the Plough is pretty darn good I reckon

Does anyone know if we have the balcony/mezzanine booked or if we are just finding a spot in there?

slightly more helpful to eliz I hope - The Phoenix is directly above Denmark Hill station. It used to be nigh-on the worst O'Neills pub I ever set foot in but the rebirth Exclaimation as another Mitchell & Butler pub similar to the Plough is pretty darn good I reckon

Does anyone know if we have the balcony/mezzanine booked or if we are just finding a spot in there?

it was originally a firkin...the second one ever...The pheonix and Firkin (as it had been rebuilt after a fire gutted DH station) and at one time was the Camberwell spot......but then so was The Grove and in those days the Funky was The Artichoke and a genuinely scary pub (shotguns etc) and the sun & doves was a disco pub all white socks and Millwall boys in one bar and old geezers playing crib in the other

The Firkin was a good pub back in the day - but I only remember the S&D post-makeover with the jelly belly rhino in the garden. And the Cambria, which is now a very nice pub* used to be a falling-down old men's boozer, where the dog playing the piano would freeze mid-note and all conversation stop when a woman walked in. Great times.

*disclaimer: the sister of one of my best friends is the landlady

Cityjules Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> So how does this work? If I turn up how will I

> know who you all are!

Either look out for the big group of messy people, ask strangers in a pub if they are with EDF (preparing for sneers if they're not), or - perhaps the more favourable option - look at the threads for previous drinks which may have a flickr link for photos, then you'll have a few faces to look out for, even if you don't know the matching names yet!

We've yet to find out whether or not mrs.number5 can get a shift swap or if she has to work, but hopeful...