Adverts, good and bad

bigbadwolf

Whats your favorite advert. It can be running or consigned to the archives and which would you like to never see again.

My recent faves are the dancing Brains (Thunderbirds) obviously and the Cadbury's Gorilla ad but my worse is the latest Corsa ads with the oven glove puppets.

Good ad for a shite product was the Dr Pepper 'father wrestling daughter's boyfriend around' one.

What's the worst that could happen?

Possibly the worst that could happen is that one for the lawyers where the woman slips on the packaging.

Look where you're going you dizzy cow.

Don't patronise us, you ambulance-chasing tripe hounds.

I loved that Honda Deisel ad from a couple of years ago.. "Hate something, change something..." one. Found myself whistling it for weeks.

And those Boddington ads from the '90's were fab... "Eh, Tarquin!"

But don't get me started on Chanel ads... that Nicole Kidman one... Aaaagh. And remember the Egoiste one from few years ago? Even more Aaaagh!!

However, the Smash Martians... a classic from my childhood.:))

BoosBoss,

Thank you so much for posting that; I don't own a TV, had never seen it before, and it made me smile from beginning to end. I think it is actually based on the fantasy dance scene from The Fisher King. This is a favourite film of mine, its main themes being redemption, second chances and love. In the dance scene, a swarm of New York commuters stop and waltz around Grand Central Station for two minutes. Grand Central Station is a magnificently beautiful building and whenever I'm in New York I make a point of going up to the bar, nursing a martini for a half hour or so, watching the commuters down below and imagining them waltzing. Magic.

Take a look at the clip or, even better, rent the movie.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=cn9ifIhCIhg

TLS - I also remember the Nimble ad. That's a real old one. This is an oldie too.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6mOEU87SBTU

adverts - selling you hope, shite you dont need and creating demand for toss that is already obselete by the time its delivered.

saying that, there are some good images & ideas - just a shame that the people who obviously have such talent have to whore themselves to the great god of consumption

Huguenot Wrote:

boosboss, that was so brilliant I really did cry.

Extraordinary. I'm so indefinably proud.

It's funny that, I had a bit of tear welling too. Have been told by quite a few people that they'd cried lol

I like the Virgin ad too, have they really been going that long? lol

A few years ago BMW released a series of short films/adverts for their new car (Z7?) starring famous actors/musicians and directed by Hollywood heavywieghts. They were internet only as the ASA don't allow car companies to glorify speed or danger on TV (spoilsports).

Anyhoo, imho, the best of the lot is The Hire: Beat The Devil which starts Clive Owen, James Brown, Gary Oldman and Marilyn Manson.

Oh, and it's directed by Tony Scott (with Ridley as Exec Producer).

It's 10 mins long, and not really a proper ad in the traditional sense but still very, very, cool!