> of 'new' residents to ED turned their front

> gardens into driveways and shut of the parking to

> everyone else. The council should have stopped

> this practice by refusing to drop the kerb

> stones.....but maybe they wanted parking charges

> all along ?

Where is your proof of this, AllforNun?

Hi,

We both work long hours and sometimes long shifts. We both have a car. What we do not want is to have to pay for a permit after paying road tax, tax on fuel.insurance ect. If we cannot park outside our house thats to bad, we park as close as possible. That said, we do not own the road outside our house and clearly, anyone can park there. Its a first come basis.

When my Mum first moved here in 1950 there were only three cars in the whole road.

I recently noticed that in the south side area of East Dulwich Road, they are doing works to install parking meters. This will only move the problem into East Dulwich.

Regards,

Libra Carr.

No! Terrible idea. It would just be faff and misery and wouldn't solve anything. At best it would just shift the problem somewhere else.

I don't even think the parking's that bad. Occasionally I don't get to park right outside my house - meh, big deal.

Dez Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The council should allocate one car space per

> property.

>

Do you live on a very long road with only few houses?

If the average road had, for arguments sake, 60 houses do you really think you could fit 60 cars down our roads?

I've expressed my views in the past to a certain NO and so I won't go into it again except for this... how many in the roads around Herne Hill are happy with such controlled parking at present?

Nice idea at the time but not practical or particularly fair when it is in action.

So the one road ("turn right by Barclays") has a lot of driveways, so suddenly "the majority of 'new' residents to ED turned their front gardens into driveways". In fact, that's pretty much the only road I can think of where there are so many driveways.

Besides, surely a dropped curb for a driveway doesn't take up any more space than parking your car in front of your house?

Dropped kerbs do take up slightly more room. And there's the extra danger of having an irate bald man rushing out and threatening to kill you because you've got a quarter of a tyre over his precious dropped kerb.. true story.

The main thing is that they look totally completely rubbish - to the point that they can even have an adverse effect on that all-important house value and desirability.

So I think the majority of kerbs were dropped by the previous wave of 'new' residents, at a time when being able to park your car in clear sight - two feet from your front room sofa - was, for some reason, considered a real boon. Many 'new' residents would rather convert them back, I'm sure. Some are doing so already, round our neck.

If you go far enough back, 'new' residents didn't even have cars so it wasn't a problem.

KalamityKel Wrote:

> Dez Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > The council should allocate one car space per

> > property.

> >

>

> Do you live on a very long road with only few

> houses?

>

> If the average road had, for arguments sake, 60

> houses do you really think you could fit 60 cars

> down our roads?

>

> I've expressed my views in the past to a certain

> NO and so I won't go into it again except for

> this... how many in the roads around Herne Hill

> are happy with such controlled parking at present?

>

> Nice idea at the time but not practical or

> particularly fair when it is in action.

I lived in an area which introduced residents' parking and it improved the problem of commuting motorists who clogged up all the available space and then took public transport into the centre of London. I guess it depends on your point of view.

*Bob* Wrote:

> Dropped kerbs do take up slightly more room.

How? Surely a dropped kerb is just a bit wider than the width of a car? And an average car is a lot longer than it is wide.

Personally I don't really care that much if people create driveways or not. I was just pointing out that to say most new residents are doing so is obviously untrue. In a lot of roads, there isn't even enough space for a driveway.

Well, the ability to squeeze your Mondeo right up to your front uPVCs makes it easier for you to park your second car (the one you don't need) outside your house as well. Or perhaps park a delapidated heap on the 'drive' and two on the road?

I don't really care that much either.

Personally I'd rather see, say, a tree when I look out my window as opposed to a radiator, a wing mirror and a roofrack.

But each to their own.

I have two cars (which I do need as one is summer and one is winter and the two don't mix seasons) and I also have a dropped curb and grarage

Based on the argument above that we shouldn't have dropped curbs then

1. I would need 2 parking spaces

2. My 1970's summer car wouldn't survive the local Yooths attention

3. I wouldn't be allowed two permits (or I would get two for one space)

4. It would cost me a fortune to maintain my classic cars (more then now)

I agree with the statistics that a drive is normally shorter then the length of a car and as a result 2 additional cars can (and do) park outside my house.

Another problem is that with so many properties now converted to flats the demand for 'resident permits' would be higher then the number of spaces that the council would install leading to even more problems then now (this has been borne out in other areas)

Equally if you permit Barry Road then that would push the problems into the side roads and equally as with most schemes residents from one street would want to park in others if they couldn't get outside their flat / house, thus causing more congestion in streets that are currently free or have low problems ....

We're in a recession....

LL and environs has some nice character shops that, I guess, most residents think add to the area.

These shops cannot survive on SE22 spending alone and draws some neighbouring areas residents into shop (mainly by car)

Most outside shoppers come by car...but LL is, in reality not that great a pull - make parking difficult/costly and many won't bother

Local independents go bust...

Genius Southwark Council...you go for it, plenty of extra cash to spend on Diversity Monitoring, etc

Genius Southwark Council...you go for it, plenty of extra cash to spend on Diversity Monitoring, etc

TonyQuinn suggests there might be a need for residents' parking in the Barry Road area, and you get to this? Or is TonyQ a known council plant?

(and yes I know the council has looked into CPZ in the past but... so far, nothing.)

I'd say certain roads should have restricted parking. For instance Melbourne Grove between East Dulwich station and East Dulwich Grove should be restricted to 2 hours, as I can imagine otherwise that would be a nightmare for residents during the day time. Maybe on other roads immediately off Lordship Lane there is a call for resident only parking.

Each road should be taken on it's merits. I've not got a car but I can understand the frustration of not being able to park outside your own property because some "out-of-towners" are hogging the space. I don't know whether residents have to pay for their permits but if they do that is wrong.

Well permits cost money to create and enforce, if the permits didn't cost cash it would have to come from tax.

I think if you've got a permit to protect your personal road space then I think it's unfair that someone 5 miles away should have to pay for it?

You'd have to get an expert in to see if the point regarding reduction in shoppers would be true or not. A reduction in the requirement for parking can often result in more space available for other amenities, which lifts foot traffic.

er !!! what !!! think about it.....

"Besides, surely a dropped curb for a driveway doesn't take up any more space than parking your car in front of your house?"

no it does not but it is private parking via the back door and fuck the rest of us who pay road tax.....................

If you ask (and pay) the council they will drop the kerb and you have a space for your car outside your house - Its expensive I guess but in the long run its a great asset.

Its important if you have children so you can put them in the car in the morning safely without risking them running out into the road.

Although I know some people don't agree with it.

Also, CPZs tend to reduce the total amount of parking space. Have a look around Herne Hill to see how they use yellow lines. Some of those roads you could fit a bunch more cars on, had they not been so keen with the line painting machine.

I don't live in the area but am affected by these as are all British drivers so entitled to my comment. I echo LuvPeckham. Paying extra to park just means everyone still has to struggle to find a space as there simply isn't enough room in busy areas, they just have to pay for it.

There's barely a main road in LB Barnet without phenomenal charges and I just shop elsewhere now as many others do. You are recommending what turns areas into ghost towns and one more nail in the coffin of our quality of life. Just say no.

Well said Dave, I'm ready to put up with a bit annoyance of finding it a 'bit' more difficult to park on a saturday on Fellbrigg Road but at least leaving in an area where people from outside SE22 come in to shop and eat at independents....restricted parking would kill this...we'd end uplike Camberwell or Peckham just locals in ever sh1ttier shops. I can see an argument if you live a bit nearer the station...

Dez Wrote:

> KalamityKel Wrote:

> -----

> > Dez Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> > > The council should allocate one car space per

> > > property.

> > >

> >

> > Do you live on a very long road with only few

> > houses?

> >

> > If the average road had, for arguments sake, 60

> > houses do you really think you could fit 60

> cars

> > down our roads?

> >

> > I've expressed my views in the past to a

> certain

> > NO and so I won't go into it again except for

> > this... how many in the roads around Herne Hill

> > are happy with such controlled parking at

> present?

> >

> > Nice idea at the time but not practical or

> > particularly fair when it is in action.

>

>

> I lived in an area which introduced residents'

> parking and it improved the problem of commuting

> motorists who clogged up all the available space

> and then took public transport into the centre of

> London. I guess it depends on your point of view.

And understand the local area - it is a busy place for not so local people to do shopping (short stay parking), the estate agents "require" at least two spaces per employee (one for their own car the other for the company car) and there are plenty of houses having building work done to them resulting in at least 3 spaces dedicated to skips and builders vans... yes lets introduce residents or controlled parking I'm sure Peckham has plenty of space :-|

AllforNun Wrote:

> er !!! what !!! think about it.....

>

> "Besides, surely a dropped curb for a driveway

> doesn't take up any more space than parking your

> car in front of your house?"

>

> no it does not but it is private parking via the

> back door and @#$%& the rest of us who pay road

> tax.....................

Why is buying a house with a driveway - or creating a driveway - "private parking via the back door"? If you didn't have a drive then presumably you'd be parked on the side of the road, therefore taking up more space. I also fail to see how you'd be shafting other tax-paying motorists.

The only valid arguments are the aesthetic ones, and maybe (just maybe) the water run-off issue.

I know I should be ignoring your posts, but I can't help it. Must... try... harder...

Have to admit to not having read this whole post or even properly finishing the original OP, but just wanted to register a quick and definitive NO, NO, NO to the residents parking debate. Residents parking is just ridiculous and annoying in any location other than right in the centre of big towns, where, by and large, there are far more commercial properties than residential anyway. It is such a pain when you have visitors/are visiting.

NO RESIDENTS PARKING NEEDED!! Stop being so lazy and just walk 20m to your car. It's no big deal.