Time for residents parking

TonyQuinn

How dare you Ted Max! I am not a council stooge, just a resident of our little hood. Just because someone says something that may not be to your sensibilities and experiences does not give you the carte blanche to discredit their motives. It was just a little thought and overwhelmingly shouted down. All the best Tony

TQ, no point in being aggravated, 'tis the nature of online debate. No offense was intended by TM, he (as with all of us online) doesn't have the visual or contextual cues to ameliorate the cynicism. Online, one just asks the question.

I should point out that the 'poll' approach to this debate is going to turn out 9:1 in terms of posts against:for parking permits. That will seem overwhelming, but will skew the reality.

If you don't have trouble parking outside your own house, you don't want restrictions parking outside someone else's house. 90% of people in ED don't have trouble outside their own house. QED no permits next to LL. This is called having your cake and eating it.

However 10% of people have problems parking outside their own house, and 90% of them want permits.

You do the math. Permit loses.

It doesn't remove the fact that those living next to LL are the bullied victims of the majority self-indulgence.

Actually, I wouldn't mind if it was 20m to my car but sometimes I cannot park in my street or the surrounding streets as they are filled with the staff, students and commuting parents from the neighbouring school.

This is evidenced by the fact that during the weekend and school holidays my road has about 3 cars in it.

Pick up and drop off times cause utter gridlock as the street is not wide enough for two cars to pass. Last week I twice saw a motorbike driving down the pavement that was too impatient because of the gridlock - and this is a pavement with school children on it. Now that is clearly unacceptable and the only thing that would sort the dangerous situation out would be residents' parking. Of course I don't want residents' parking but how else can a situation like this be addressed?

In East dulwich (lower) the parking is dreadful, it is very hard to park to go to opticians etc. I know that "outsiders" park in the side streets and then get buses to King's as the parking around there has got so bad....In ED (upper, ie near the library) it is not bad, except first thing in the morning when all the scaffolders etc go to the cafe!

Tony, Tony. You could have save yourself a little outrage here.

???? took the issue and turned it into a point against Southwark Council. I was merely pointing out that the original suggestion had come from you, and had nothing to do with the Council. Unless, that is, (and here I was being not entirely serious) ???? had some prior evidence you were a Council stooge. I myself cast no doubt on the purity of your motives.

As for my sensibilities, I'm clutching my pearls here, old chap, and am off for a little lie down.

All the best, TedMax.

We live near North Cross Road & there are many occasions when we can't park right outside our house. At Christmas time it's virtually impossible as so many people drive over to shop along North Cross Rd. However, we would both rather park a couple of minutes away than deal with the utter inconvenience and expense of having to get visitors permits (or workers permits) every time we have friends over. I am happy to suffer the small inconvenience of walking a few hundred yards if it means local businesses are kept afloat. I would be very sad if all the local independents disappeared, it really wouldn't be the same without them. Long live unrestricted parking.

I live in the same area and agree with Miss P. The mild inconvenience of parking is one of the disadvantages that is far out weighed by the advantages. In any case, as I have stated on previous threads on this subject, the turn over of spaces is pretty regular in my experience. I can currently count four spaces in sight of my flat right now. In 15 minutes they will probably be filled and it may be another 5-10mins before another space or two become free again

If you choose to live near busy, desirable, "trendy" roads/neighbourhoods, surely you have to be flexible in taking the bad with good?

Miss P Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> We live near North Cross Road & there are many

> occasions when we can't park right outside our

> house. At Christmas time it's virtually

> impossible as so many people drive over to shop

> along North Cross Rd. However, we would both

> rather park a couple of minutes away than deal

> with the utter inconvenience and expense of having

> to get visitors permits (or workers permits) every

> time we have friends over. I am happy to suffer

> the small inconvenience of walking a few hundred

> yards if it means local businesses are kept

> afloat. I would be very sad if all the local

> independents disappeared, it really wouldn't be

> the same without them. Long live unrestricted

> parking.

Where residents? parking is introduced the following tend to happen:-

(a) Home owners with existing off-street parking gain a windfall increase (in these times a windfall reduction in rate of decrease) of house value. This might be seen as an unintended consequence of no peculiar merit generally.

(b) More people pave-over their front gardens, where they have one big enough to park a car, thus decreasing the amenity value of the neighbourhood (cars often less pretty than flowers) and increasing the problems of rain run-off/ local flooding. They may also thus reduce the available on-street parking space (by requiring drive access) thus further contributing to (a) and (b).

© Where on-street parking services local shops, these lose out-of-area customers, thus reducing their viability and (sometimes) closing them ? which reduces the parking pressure which the residents parking was initially introduced to manage.

(d) Enforcement manages to further ?criminalise? (OK, it?s normally a civil offence but you know what I mean) ordinary citizens, and encourages councils to look at revenue generation from using public streets. ?Amusing? news stories of ambulances and doctors (and other ?vital? visitors) being fined proliferate.

(e) People who have out of area visitors (often the elderly, the vulnerable, those trapped at home with young children) discover that visits to them are now either more difficult, or more costly for their visitors.

I think you may be able to guess which side of this debate I am leaning towards.

A few sensible places near me have solved the 'all day parking' aspect by banning parking for an hour in the middle of a day to stop station users parking there. It costs no one a penny and besides losing an hour of parking a day means everyone not there to go to work can use it as and when they want.

Parking meters used to be for shopping areas in central London only and anywhere else is just subsidising the council tax for people who have already payed it somewhere, and road tax, and tax on petrol. If the population of the country wasn't shooting up so fast (it was 55 million for many years and now heading for 70 if it carries on as it is) then no one would be having this conversation. Many semis are being demolished near me to build soviet style flats and each new resident has the same amount of road to park in as they did before. This is part of a much bigger picture affecting London and the rest of the country. Charging people for what they have paid for already and have no choice to do is simply extortion.

TonyQuinn Wrote:

> Isn't it time we had residents parking in East

> Dulwich, especially around Barry Road area? I

> don't know about everyone else, but it is getting

> increasingly difficult to find somewhere to park.

> It seems that people from outside the hood are

> turning up and dumping their cars for the day -

> their right of course - to catch the god awful

> number 12 bus.

they introduced residents parking where my parents live, there are now 6000 permits for 2500 parking places, it is no easier to park, in fact worse as they have tput double yellow lines everywhere (so people get loads of parking tickets now too). My Mum sometimes spend 30 mins driving round and round as she can not find a space. Res Parking is a HUGE money spinner for the council, once it is in they can increase the amount per year without any consultation and at a percentage increase totally unrelated to in/deflation etc... BEWARE!!!! no benefit to residents. I live near Peckahm Rye station and my annual payment is now 5 times more than when I moved here. WATCH OUT THEIVES ABOUT (ie Southwark)

Southwark are busy harvesting the pulse car park by clamping people and charging ?100 to release it, and it takes two hours for the release.

It has a strange ticket machine which accepts no money, you press the button take the ticket which lasts 4 hours and

place on your dashboard, some like me tried to put money in, which it does not accept, and then you ignore it as it is

out of order come back an hour later after the swim to find yourself clamped.

Charming, you really do not expect to get clamped in a car park.

Southwark is making itself very popular with motorists.

karter Wrote:

> Is the council not pedestrianising Northcross rd

> anymore?

they keep trying to bring this one in... some years ago (about 3/4/5, can't really remember) they had loads of meetings, did some consultation, drew up some (hideous and worthless) proposals adding ghastly 'features' to improve' the street (which was fine as it was) using resources (both material and financial) which did not need using up!

One of the ideas was to pedestrianise which was DEEPLY unpopular with both residents and traders. We (those who went to the meeting/mix of retailers and residents) managed to do some damage limitation and the LEAST bad thing we could get them to do was repave (one side!!! as there was not budget for both!!! genius eh!) part of the street, which the council then did badly, took 6mths to complete and chose (without consultation) a red paving and black tarmac combo that, 1) looked like a new run way at Heathrow 2) did not match/sit well with all the other paving around (straight forward stone grey stuff) 3) made any repair work a disaster (as the red bricks either get filled in with lumpy badly laid tarmac or or are left as a hole for another 6mths)... Remember the hole outside Pretty Traditional that has only just been bunged back up again with tarmac??? 4) knocked retail trade really badly for the 6mth it took to complete the work 5) miscalculated the depth of the bricks so the curb had to be raised (which in turn meant none of the market traders stalls fitted the site anymore) which caused further chaos. They also bust through into the water mains and I seem to remember gas mains too as they had not done a proper survey and left the barriers and heaps of waste lying around for further 2/3 mnths. GENIUS eh!!.... I could go on and on (or am I going on already??? hypothetical question folks... no reply needed here!!)

The long and the short is that the street is FINE as it is!!!!

You may all note that I am not that impressed by the council (having lived in and around the area for 20 yrs, one can get a teeny bit worn down by their inability to manage 'a p**s up in a brewery')

Say YES to good, well managed, considerate design that improves peoples lives... however, say NO to change for change's sake