Where else in the world but here?

Louisa

Great - a forum snowball fight!

I have went up to snowy Dulwich Park for breakfast in the cafe and it was a fantastic winter wonderland. Everyone smiling young and old....

Louisa - good to have you back. For me the most rubbish thing is weathermen and weather forecasts. Did anyone recall hearing any warnings of heavy snow paralysing London....even yesterday morning ? Rubbish! They clearly dont have a clue! But that is the beauty of the natural world we live in.

Thanks Pozzee, I may well brave the snow and venture down there. I need to buy fresh yeast, with which to make bread.

Thanks also Louisa. I imagine that for SMBS, not opening is probably less of an option than for Somerfield and Barclay$. They are, perhaps, more dependent on a days takings.

P.S. I do enjoy your rants.

too true the train lines are buckling so transport is not working so great there.. heat waves, blizzards, all things that dont happen often and the country just has to do its best and if that means every so often things shut down then so be it, its not the end of the world as we know it..

MrBen, thanks good to speak to you again.

Yes the weather service has not be very specific about the Greater London area on the main channels these past few days. Certainly considering most of the general public get their info by switching on and watching the news bulletins the answer was yes we would get some significant snowfall, but the home counties were mentioned very specifically and London was not given a great deal of notice. However on the met office website it was clearly stated that a Severe Weather Warning was in force for Greater London and the South East of England and I am 100% sure local councils and government would have been made aware. Many of the main routes have NOT been gritted despite what some people have said, and those that have been gritted are becoming impassable because the buses have stopped running which in turn has lead to the snow turning slushy with fresh falls on top.

BBC weather has just said that Greater London can expect at least a further 8 inches of snow from around 2 o clock onwards coming from the south east which will be persistant and prolonged into the evening and overnight, followed by clear skies and a freeze.

Louisa.

MrBen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Did anyone recall hearing any warnings of heavy

> snow paralysing London....even yesterday morning ?

> Rubbish! They clearly dont have a clue! But that

> is the beauty of the natural world we live in.

Yes.. snow lying on the ground .. possibly 2/3 inches by Sunday/Monday.. in London - was forecast on Friday.

Not everyone has the luxury of staying at home, today. Mr T is self-employed, so has no choice but to work because his customers are relying on him for their deliveries. It's all very well being told not to drive, but for some people it really is absolutely necessary and they have no choice. For those of you not at work, enjoy and for those of you who have to be on the roads, keep safe.>:D

If you get fed up posting on here you can listen to much the same sort of thing with Jon Gaunt, Vanessa Feltz, Nick Ferrari...and the usual suspects.

I haven't avtually tuned in to any of them myself but it's a reasonable bet I reckon.

Everything is going to be fine in a few days, and I wasn't planning to go to Somerfield anyway.

Think I'll take a bit of a trudge out in a while.

Do you EVER just have FUN?

This is Louisa's fun. Don't be fooled. She's invited a horde of her neighbour's kids round to play in her garden, because hers is much bigger than theirs. For everyone's lunch she's got the free range chicken roasting in the oven for lunch, fresh made bread from Lucas Bakery and a rocket salad from Franklin's Farm Shop to go with it. Burgundy chilling nicely.

She was only hitting Somerfield cos she fancied some cream at the last minute to make a nice tarragon sauce.

We all had warning of this snow coming.

Those who are anal enough to want to trudge through snow or try somehow to get into work (like ME) can plan around these advance warnings like (e.g.) coming in the night before and staying with a friend nearer their workplace or wherever it is they need to get to. 8% of staff are in my building of usually 3000.

Lazy day is well-earned by all, make the most of it folks, I envy you all !!

KK

(Clearly not overworking today.....)

Ted Max Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Do you EVER just have FUN?

>

> This is Louisa's fun. Don't be fooled. She's

> invited a horde of her neighbour's kids round to

> play in her garden, because her's is much bigger

> than their's. For everyone's lunch she's got the

> free range chicken roasting in the oven for lunch,

> fresh made bread from Lucas Bakery and a rocket

> salad from Franklin's Farm Shop to go with it.

> Burgundy chilling nicely.

>

> She was only hitting Somerfield cos she fancied

> some cream at the last minute to make a nice

> tarragon sauce.

What a lovely image!:))

Let's keep baiting Louisa until she explodes and then maybe the heat generated will melt some of the snow enough for buses to get to her house. As for the 'no warning' argument they had been forcasting snow for most of the week and the severity was being talked about from thursday or friday.

Louisa, I hoped that in the time I had been to the park the my daughter and shown her the magical and happy scenes in Peckham Park you'd have done some shovelling, gone and checked your elderly neighbours or made the effort to walk to work. I think you are wasting valuble time that could be put into re-opening the infrastructure, so why don't you stop typing and do something useful?

Just to put in my two cents worth,

I'm loving the conditions here...my partner and I are both probably crazy..we braved the outdoors earlier today...he walked for an hour and a half into the city...and has to do the same on return (thats a bit too keen!). Whilst I donned snow boots, ski pants and ski jacket to push phil and ted double pram across peckham rye park to drop my toddler at childminder with newborn swaddled underneath. slightly dreading the pickup now with the worsening conditions.

i saw cars sliding and spinning on my journey so would not recommend car trip unless you have snow chains.

on the plus side...It is definately magical out there if you are going for a stroll with the right gear on (think ski slopes and possibly goggles too) ...go out and enjoy it and we can all live without a bank or somerfield for one day can't we!

I for one an absolutely DISGUSTED that these so-called 'freak' weather conditions have prevented me from carrying out several non-essential tasks that I can easily do tomorrow. Or the day after.

I have been reduced to having snowball fights with the neighbours and watching children playing happily in the street.

Shame on you, Britain.