Spring babies 2015 (Due March, April, May)

Southwark gets real for Real Nappy Week 2015

After a successful pilot, Veolia and Southwark Council are proud to launch an exclusive free real nappy trial pack - worth ?50 - to mark Real Nappy Week 2015, which began on 20 April.

New parents in Southwark can save at least ?500 per child using real nappies. Many parents also favour the soft comfortable fabrics as well as the fun and functional designs.

The free real nappy trial pack consists of:

?3 x real nappies ? one from each of the leading British stockists

?50 x flushable liners

?1 x velcro fastening wrap

?1 x wet bag

92 per cent of parents from the pilot would recommend the pack to friend or relative. They also ?noticed the reduction in waste straight away? and ?only use disposables 25 per cent of the time now?.

Ian McGeough, who co-ordinates the project for Veolia in Southwark says "The pilot has been a huge success ? more than doubling the take-up from the previous voucher scheme and giving Southwark residents free, hands-on experience of Real Nappies before deciding if they?re right for their child."

Councillor Darren Merrill, cabinet member for environment and recycling, said: "In Southwark we?re committed to reducing waste and encouraging re-use whenever possible. Real nappies are a great way to do this, not only are they cheaper for parents but they help to keep Southwark a cleaner and greener place to live, work and visit."

Real nappies are suitable for use with new born babies right up to potty training. All nappies are one-size-fits-all and suitable for boys and girls. They are suitable for babies weighing 9lb-35lb and come with a detailed instruction booklet. There is also no obligation to purchase any nappies beyond those in the pack.

Real nappies are promoted across the UK predominantly because of their environmental and financial benefits. Currently the UK throws away three billion disposables every year with 90 per cent going to landfill.

Parents or soon to be parents who live in Southwark can apply for a free trial pack by filling in an online form at www.southwark.gov.uk/nappies

Further information about Real Nappy Week 2015 can be found at www.goreal.org.uk/real-nappy-week

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all.

I hope those with new babies are doing well and those waiting aren't struggling with impatience or discomfort too much!

Sienna arrived on Tuesday morning surprising us all as we were convinced she'd be a boy. She is absolutely scrummy - we're all in love, especially her big brother. I'd forgotten what newborns were like, my god can she feed, I feel like a full time cow!

I'm looking forward to catching up soon, but I think recovery will take a longer this time.

Good luck & looking forward to hearing of more arrivals soon.

Jo

Hi ladies

Sorry I haven't posted for ages, but wanted to let you know that our lovely little boy, Theodore (Theo) Rhys arrived on Sunday 26th April - 15 days early - weighing 6lb10oz. He's our first so we've found the past 10 days interesting to say the least! I've taken a while to recover from the birth as I lost quite a lot of blood so am a bit anaemic. Theo has a bit of jaundice but is feeding well and is otherwise fine. We're completely smitten and of course, totally sleep-deprived!

Welcome to the other new babies and good luck to those still waiting for their arrivals.

Kaz x

Hope everyone with newborns is doing well and those still pregnant are not too fed up!

We had our second little girl at home on Monday, she is divine and very chilled so far, although maybe we are in the honeymoon period and about to get a massive shock ;-) Jo completely identify with feeling like a cow! Kaz it sounds like you are doing brilliantly, 15 days early must have given you a shock, hope you aren't feeling too grotty.

Lucy

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I only made it to a couple of meet ups in Feb/March so out of the loop a bit, but wanted to to say hi and let you know we had our baby boy Robin William Collis on 23 April, one day before my birthday! I've attached a pic ;) We were due on May 4th but had an early inducement due to me having Obstetric Cholestasis. All went well, and am totally in love of course :) Hope everyone is doing well - is there a WhatsApp group for first timers? x

Aah! Congratulations, he's gorgeous! OC sounds scary, hope all is alright now. Not sure if there is a whatsapp group for first timers but you are very welcome to join ours if you don't mind some toddler chat too, just pm Alexia (Admin) and ask her to add you if you like.

Congrats on the arrival of Robin!

I've been meaning to post for a while but didn't want to update via my phone without a keyboard and have finally remembered to log in on my laptop!

We were surprised by baby Leo arriving on his due date 15th May and in under 4 hours including a rush to the hospital in an ambulance! I'm sure my neighbours were thrilled at the 2 paramedic cars and ambulance blocking our one-way street!

Settling into the new routine and thankfully my toddler is so far happy to stroke his head and kiss his head (and is obsessed with his little feet) but I'm sure she'll play up more soon!

Now the weather is starting to perk up a bit hopefully we can do some meet ups soon - feel free to suggest dates anyone and we can see what we can organise.

I'll be toddler-free on Mondays/Thursdays/Fridays from next week. I loved going to baby cinema last time around so anyone interested in the Peckham screenings on Thursdays at 11.30 let me know as I plan to go a lot! Unfortunately I won't be able to go to the Wednesday ones at the new ED cinema as I'll have Amber on those days too.

Ginny, Amber and Leo

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there,

Lovely to hear all the baby news! Congratulations. Can't wait to meet all the little ones.

Zoe Elizabeth Barker was born on 4th of June at 10.24, weighing 7lb 3oz. (So no longer officially a spring baby!) It was a home birth as planned - and she was only 10 days late.

Finlay is very proud of his little sister and has been telling everyone how he's a big brother now.

Definitely up for meeting soon. Am always up for the baby cinema - and I'm remembering how much easier it is to go for a coffee with a baby rather than a toddler in tow ...

With best wishes,

Katie x

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi! I've just moved to east dulwich with a 21 months & 7 week old and would love to meet some other mums. I think there is a whatsapp group with meet ups. Is it possible to join?

Juliet

Hi ladies!congratulations to all new mums and the second round ones!i had my baby girl in march this year, would love to join other mums for a coffe or a stroll. Can you pls let me know whatsapp group name?thanks a lot!irene

Hello ladies

I am the group admin for a Spring Babies whats app group we have set up. Mostly second time mums as it was originally set up through the second time round thread but some first timers and third timers too and all welcome to join. If you would like to be added please PM me your mobile no.

Hi ladies,

Hope everyone's doing well and enjoying the super special first few months with their new babies! I too am in the Spring babies club and we welcomed our gorgeous baby boy William to the world in March 2015.

Since having William and thoroughly enjoying maternity leave, i've worked together with another local Mum to launch a website for fellow South London parents, called Maternity Leave Life. We visit and review places and things to do, to give other Mums, Dads, parents-to-be and families inspiration for days out, whilst also sharing any useful tips and advice we come across. Details below if you'd like to check it out or follow us for regular updates on Facebook / Instagram. We've had some really lovely feedback from other Mums so far!

www.maternityleavelife.com

www.facebook.com/maternityleavelife

www.instagram.com/maternityleavelife

We'd welcome any suggestions of new places to explore - and any feedback on the site, so feel free to get in touch.

Enjoy!

Lizzie

• 3 months later...
Hi there, congratulations! Admin setup the groups, so you can contact them asking them if they are able to do so for spring 2016 - at least that's what I did when this group wasn't there yet, a couple of years ago. The admin who says congratulations, etc at the beginning of this group is whom I sent a pm to, from the previous winter babies group. Hope that all makes sense!

Hi Natty, please see the replies above, you will I guess see a thread set up by the admin soon. We had Spring 2015 babies already so this is an old thread so we can't really help?

Or of course you could just start your own new thread and wait for others who are due then to join?

Congrats and good luck for Spring!

• 4 months later...