And the award for Best Customer Service goes to.. ?

*Bob*

Had a quick beer inthere (Franklins) on Saturday before going for dinner... Staff were very friendly..... That said, I've never been a huge fan of the place... Don't know why really, it just doesn't "do it" for me :-S

ok, I'll organise it and get Mr Admin to set it up. I guess first of all we need to gather a list of eligible shops, it won't be practical to list all shops /businesses in ED so send in your nominations, If there's loads of shops nominated then we might have to do it in two stages firstly a vote on all shops to whittle it down to, say, five then the best out of those five. Winner takes all. The voting system only allows one vote per user which keeps it nice and simple.

What do people reckon, should we exclude pubs & bars as they have their own award?

Should we exclude Indian restaurants as they have their own award?

These are the businesses listed on this thread, are there any more?:

William Rose

Dulwich DIY

Pretty Traditional

Banfield fencing on Barry Road

Mon Petit Chou

Hope and Greenwood

Val's

Plough DIY

Ralon stationers

Black Cherry

Tandoori Nights

AJ Farmers

Cheers

Green & Blue

The Never Ending Story Bookshop

Crystal Palace Tavern

The Garden centre on Uplands road

William Rose

Dulwich Carpets

EDT

Badger Bakery

Spot Dry Cleaners

Bellameys

Roullier White

The Card/Stationery shop on the same side of the road as Somerfield

Grace and Favour

Walsh Glazing

Bells of Dulwich

the picture framers on North Cross Road

Yilmaz

The Singhara (beauty place)

Mrs Robinson

Kebab & Wine

Sopers

The Gowlett

SMBS

Dulwich 'Supermarket'

Health matters

Ros in Review

Caffe Nero

Bells

Blue Mountain

Cheese block

Mirash

Prettys

Mr Boo

Franklin's

ED Deli

The cheese van lady

Moxons

Nicolas

[edited once]

It is an almost overwhelming list, but we are specifically voting on service, rather than product which should make all businesses comparable.

ie no offence to Kebab&Wine, the product is hardly world class, but the they are practically superheroes when it comes to their service, so I'd be marking them pretty highly in my own personal top 10 (top 10 kebabs one for the top ten thread perhaps keef?)

That's my two penneths worth anyway.

Great idea to have a vote.

Not sure its been a whingefest though mockney ...generally I don't find people moan about things here (ED Forum) more than they do in person. There'd something a bit odd about a general Pollyannaish rictus grinfest.

The world isn't thoroughly great, there's bound to be a diverse range of opinions about what is wanted or needed in an area and, indeed, what constitutes good service. People want and expect different things. People and (hush) businesses provide different levels of goods and services.

Its not all hunky-dory. Some of "it" (East Dulwich, local businesses, councillors, leisure services)'s great and some of "its" ghastly.

ok, so all shall be included. Have I missed any on that list? I'll gather up a list on this thread, then perhaps start it's own thread and get voting to start Monday (I also have to check that the voting system can hold that many nominees)

A very simple system, you have one vote for the best customer service in East Dulwich out of the entire list. Then we count the votes up and the top five (or perhaps ten) go through to the final round when you can vote again for one of those. Only registered users only can vote. The Forum might be able to get enough money together for another trophy (same as the ones proudly displayed in the Black Cherry and Surma, have a look next time you're in there)

the card shop near Somerfield is called Greetings. He truly is a very nice man, and his wife is lovely too. I think a lot of the places listed are OK, but i think Greetings has done great customer service by recognizing its customer base and responding, ie they refurbished to a lay out that allows those of us with prams to get round. plus he holds the door open for you - he can do this from behind his til. Hurray for Greetings man. And the forum does work. Despite the mixed press re Rayon, I went in there this week just to see what it was like. It is weird!

ooh, just caught up with this one. my vote goes to 'Cheers' - unprepossessing little shop, but usually has what I want and the friendliest place around (they save past-its-best veg for our rabbits and always have time for a chat and a joke - we used to have to go in there every day to see the cat, who sadly seems to left home unannounced). So gold star to Daniel and Ted - i think everyone should use Cheers. Also, the staff in Mon P'tit Chou, who are really lovely and never minded me taking my work in there and using the place as my office! And yes WIlliam Rose cos they're friendly *and* helpful and even let me in after closing time. Moxtons also v friendly and helpful and don't mind humouring my daughter who has to go in to stroke the lobsters whenever we go past.

actually, almost all my neighbours on that bit of LL are really nice, including Franklins and the lads in the roof-tile place (especially when i've needed help shifting furniture :) so i think we're pretty lucky really. hooray for decent people!

just to let people know if we have a vote it won't be for at least a couple of weeks due to the forum administrators being busy with other things but keep the suggestions and nominations coming...

No need for a vote, the award surely must go to Nisha by general acclamation!! I particularly like it when she asks me for ID when I'm buying beer (I'm 26), and then laughs when I look confused. She is very friendly and engaging and should definitely win!

The CPT staff are definitely runners-up though; when I complained that they weren't showing the Chelsea-Tottenham FA Cup semifinal they explained that contractually, they had to show the other semi on the big screen because it was on Sky Sports and the Chelsea game was on the BBC. But rather than leave it at that, they then went upstairs into the flats where they live and brought down their own (quite heavy) TV and put it on the bar for me to watch!

Before I tootled off to Devon for the weekend I handed the transcipt of this cha to Nisha in Val's - when I retuned yesterday she was still smiling fom it. She LOVES the fact that she had so many nice comments (but doesn't really get why we spend our spare time on here talking about her - fair point I would say)

On a sadder note the posting from the greenandblue gang has depressed me no end. I watched that thread unfold and thought better of jumping in (now it appears to have abated, for what it's worth I though BB had an initial point but after the efforts G&B have made on here, Bob quite rightly IMO tried to pre-empt another slanging match which got a little out of hand. G&B were caught in the crossfire but I don't think MUCH was directly aimed their way and I hope if they re-read the thread they can see how much positives were there for them)

But if champagne discounts were up for discussion I'm sure someone could have let that slip on here (as a positive preemptive post?) - ok that might be advertising but still. Register as non-business people and join in the general discussion too..

We do love you on here guys