Thanks for stealing our bikes

I just wanted to thank the piece of garbage who stole both mine and my wife's bikes tonight. Well done on bringing the bolt cutters to cut through the iron fence they were D locked to in our side passage way. Nice touch you worthless piece of crap. Safe journey home in the traffic tonight. Thanks for leaving the rain covers though - you selfish, inconsiderate, lowlife pricks.

Unfortunately I don't think any bikes are safe outside because the scum that thieve won't let a bike lock stop them.

However inconvenient and untidy it looks, I recommend keeping bikes indoors. Even if it means covering them with a psychedelic throw.

Share your house with your bike & reduce the risk of theft.

I completely understand how you feel - I would be the same. I keep my bike inside and it is a real nuisance and eyesore but I know if I leave it outside it would get pinched. It is ridiculous but I have no choice. These buggers have no issue stealing bikes in broad daylight with people passing so what chance do we stand.

The cycle hoop looks a great idea, has it been secure in use in Lambeth? We have 2 bikes which in a typical Victorian hallway is real pain to live with, lots of pedal scratched ankles. And sorry to hear about your loss, same happened here just before Xmas. It's very frustrating.

Seconded

That's why I have a Brompton as well as a non folder - never take the "non folder" unless i know it can go inside somewhere or will be right in my eye-line, locked with two locks.

rodneybewes Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I'd keep it inside if possible.

The cycle hoop looks a great idea, has it been secure in use in Lambeth? We have 2 bikes which in a typical Victorian hallway is real pain to live with, lots of pedal scratched ankles. And sorry to hear about your loss, same happened here just before Xmas. It's very frustrating.

It's secure in the sense of an old joke:

"How fast d'you have to be to outrun a lion?"

"Faster than the other guy."

Thieves leave them alone because there's always going to be easier prey that doesn't require the kind of loud, heavy cutting gear you'd need to bust one open.

Gutted for you andycam - I've had several bikes stolen and it's miserable. Console yourself with the fact that the perpitrator was, is, and will be a scumbag. You're worth more than that - buy new ones and move on.

Happy karma to you. :-)

I had my bike stolen (from inside my house whilst I slept :( ) but I was tipped off that a good deal of locally stolen bikes end up in a bike shop in The Elephant and Castle, aptly named 'Re cycling'... I went in a couple of weeks after the theft and no luck, but almost a month after that hey presto, my bike was there! I knew it was my bike because despite not having kept the frame number and all the transfers had been removed, I had customized my bike with shorter stem and different pedals. I rang the police and they actually rocked up and were very supportive. They made the man in the shop give me my bike back. They also had a look around the shop and said it was "an Aladdins cave" of stolen bikes but they explained that they didn't have the resources to unearth what was going on.

My cousin found his stolen bike on ebay last month...he bid for it, said he'd pay in cash and then turned up and got his bike back!

Paranoid that my bike would get stolen (it was in Islington!) i decided to lock up to a tree on the kerb, which was directly adjacent to the outside table i was sitting at. I could almost reach it from there.

I had one pint, got lost in some random chat, 20mins later i look up to unlock my bike........GONE! WTF!!

Right under my flipping nose....

Thanks for the comments and suggestions everyone. The worse part is other than having the bikes stolen, was that our iron fence was cut through and my insurance didn't cover the cost of the bikes. You live to learn I guess. Must take a trip to recycle then to see if our bikes appear.